1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The 'G' and 'H. buttons on my trusty K60 seem to have died..

Any reccomendations on how to possibly fix them? And failing that, suggestions for a comparable keyboard?

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Just de-solder them, pop them out and replace. What switches are they?

Someone here is bound to have a couple of spare switches.

3. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

It'd be reds on a K60 wouldn't it? Just about the only switch I don't have spares on hand...

I've had some success cleaning gunk out of switches by taking the cap off, pressing the stem all the way down and giving them a blast of canned air. It won't help if it's a dodgy solder joint causing the problem by might dislodge any crap in it that's stopping the switch from working.

4. David

Yeah, they were mainly (if not entirely) supplied with Reds, but I wasn't sure if they were also available with Browns. I don't have any spares either - not a fan of Reds.

5. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I've a couple of spare reds somewhere - I can probably sling them your way Mankz?

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

[​IMG]

I could not be happier. Aaaactually, if I could find an OEM profile Windows key with the modern logo... made from PBT... preferably in blue... damn, it begins.

Last edited: 25 Aug 2015
  7. Hzza

Hzza Minimodder

Ha! Nice, one, it really is a slippery slope.

Wait until you get into custom boards, that's when the money really starts flying out the window :D.

8. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

I think I've got a blank OEM profile 1.25x key in light blue PBT somewhere... part of the blank RGB mods set that came with my poker II?

9. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

came across this lot, maybe of interest to you keyboard nutters :)

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ended up taking all the keys off the board and just gave it a good clean with compressed air, some rubbing alcohol and a vacuum, and now all works well.. I can even type H and G again!

11. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I know it's not mechanical, but just got one of these to go with my new media pc i bought off nick. It's backlit too for watching in the dark.

[​IMG]

This could result in bed sores.

12. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I bought a new V2 fron WASD last week. My only shipping option was 40$ but I really wanted it so I just shrugged it off. Then a few days later I realized I had forgotten about the pathetic exchange rate of the current Canadian Dollar... So I paid 75$ more than I would have just a few months ago. Then earlier today I learned I had to pay 43$ of duty fees ... which racks up to 158$ more than I expected to pay ...

317$ for a keyboard is pushing it. A lot.

:-/

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Okay ... It turns out the 43$ was actually the shipping and the duty fees. Phew !

Anyway .. I think it was worth it because it looks fabulous !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. David

I don't own a 4K monitor, so I'm just not getting the full benefit of your MASSIVE photos. :p

15. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Meh, it's 2015, who needs to resize anything ? :p

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

TKL? check
    Built like a Tank? check
    Double shot injection moulded key caps? check
    Absolutely no software to install for full functionality? check
    Multimedia controls and optional N key roll over for full compatibility? check
    Wrist rest? check
    Individually backlit keys? check

Max Blackbird, Brown Cherry Switches:

[​IMG]

(Dirt cheap phone camera, in reality the light is perfectly even across all the keys)

17. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Ah, I wondered why my phone had caught fire trying to load this page...

Knuck, you owe me a new flagship smartphone.

Also a new house (it burned down too, see).

18. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

His picture is 4000x3000. My UHD monitor is only 3840x2160. 4k displays are only 4096x2160... You need 8k display for those pictures.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Good afternoon keyboard experts of bit-tech! I need some advice to give my Choc Mini a bit of much needed TLC. Last night I wasted a glass of really nice, freshly made fruit smoothie as well as the whole night that I'd taken off work when said glass of fruity, milky goodness ended up being knocked over on my desk, covering my keyboard and mouse, splashing my monitors and soaking a whole lot of other expensive stuff that I won’t go into, though thankfully all was all saved.

So, I went from "fully relaxed, much needed night off work mode" to full on "electronics liquid damage repair mode" and I did manage to save my beloved 9 year old Logitech G5, Choc Mini, iPhone 6 and both U2711 monitors from the fruity, gooey mess. It took most of the night, but I put everything back together this morning and am happy to report that it's all fine except for the keyboard.

It works (I'm typing this on it now) but the switches are definitely less responsive than they were before I stripped and washed it. They don’t return with the same “bouncy” response that they did before, so my guess is that either any factory lubricant which was in the switches before was washed out and dissolved by my high pressure rinse down of nonconductive cleaning solution last night, or they’re still gunked up and might need dismantled and cleaned again or just replaced completely. The lesser of two evils being adding some lube, what’s the best type available in the UK to use for this and does the process really involve disassembling each switch as I’ve read on GH?

Finally, as I’ve noticed the alphas are just beginning to wear a little shiny, is there a nice set of caps I could put on the Choc whilst I have it apart to lubricate, to freshen it up a bit? Thanks in advance!

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Feels like far too long since I've posted in this thread - that's what life'll do to you! To answer your questions - lube is quite difficult to come by in the UK (I can't think of anywhere that sells what you'd want) but can be had from here. Now for the bad news - if you wanted to lube your switches you do in fact have to disassemble every switch and, as the Choc Mini uses plate mounted switches, you would also have to desolder all the switches first.

Other bad news is that the Choc Mini has some odd sized and/or odd profile keycaps

[​IMG]

The caps in green are 'standard' caps. The ones in red (apart from the spacebar) are not too hard to come by but the ones in yellow would be a huge PITA to get hold of (you could get them but they'd be the wrong profile). AFAIK the spacebar on the choc mini is totally unique to that board so I'm not sure you'd be able to get a replacement.

Sorry that wasn't more help!

GK