1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding My first custom case! (pics)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by stefan, 1 Feb 2002.

1. stefan

stefan What's a Dremel?

The system is not finished, as i haven't added the LEDs to the front, cool cable wraps, and my cathode light hasn't come it yet, though the case itself is complete.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now all I have to do is paint the wall behind it! :rofl:

Last edited: 2 Feb 2002
  2. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

V v v v v v v v Nice Love it mate :D :cool:

3. bajastx

bajastx What's a Dremel?

How do you plug anything into your PCI slots? If I'm seeing things correctly they're facing down?!?

Although that could be a good idea if you have a desk that you don't mind cutting a hole in to hide the cable clutter.

4. jamiesurfs

jamiesurfs Boom Boom, Cha Cha Cha!

Very Nice and pro looking. That's a good point about the PCI slots though! How do you connect stuff there? Or is the case meant to go another way up?:cool:

5. Slink

Slink B7

Sweet frog, i like the case too,

6. Hi-TEK

Hi-TEK What's a Dremel?

Good observation Basjatx, I was going to ask the same question. If you turn the case right side up then you impede the intake fan that is currently on the very right hand side. It also looks like you have to lift up the top with the hinges in order to insert your CD into your CDROM.

7. billy beard

billy beard What's a Dremel?

i like it m8,if it was a woman i'd buy it dinner [dont tell the wife]

8. billy beard

in fact where did you get that case? ya gonna say home made aint you:rolleyes:

9. Phire

Phire Performance-PCs.com

I think he lays it flat, like a desktop case......

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Woooooooooow that's seriously sweet m8! love that dvd.

however i would like to pick ur brain about;

Where u got the cd/dvd drive from?

Is it a slimline laptop one?

If so - what connector does it have and/or did u make an adapter?

What PSU are u using?

Is that tinted acrylic or just the reflection making it bloo?

11. Cool Hand

Cool Hand King of the park

sweet........i keep thinking aquarium when i look at it.....you should get one of those aquarium backgrounds and put on the motherboard side, then put some aquarium rocks/toys on the bottom and rig up some kind of animated fish model in there.....you could even light it from the top like an aquarium

12. stefan

stefan What's a Dremel?

The case

Wow...lot of replies. Ok, here's the deal. The case is mounted on the wall, the cables are all connected in that photo, they run behind the desk.

The front, top and bottom are all blue plexi, clear on the sides. The top and front are hinged so you can lift it up for easy access.

The drive is a slimline laptop drive with an IDE adapter and there is a slot cut and sanded on the left for you to eject. I also made the drive cage from clear plexi.

Here's the stats:

ASUS P2B dual with 1 PIII 500 processor (room for expantion!)
    LG Slimline 8x DVD
    197 meg PC100
    20 Gig Maxtor
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Voodoo3 AGP
    Realtek Ethernet
    350 watt PS from a full size tower

All of the pieces are a bit outdated, but a I got all of them for free from various friends.

I just got the cathode, so I'll take some more pics very soon!

Oh, and yes, it was made in my shop with a router, drill press and table saw.

The only main thing left is the LED's...I have them and mounts for them, but i'm not sure about the best way to wire them. I can build the hell outta a computer, I'm no electrition. Can someone tell me an estetic way to wire the LED's to the motherboard? I have a black (really smooth action) momentary power switch that I have rigged with an ethernet cable to the mobo with 2 jumpers (i know, i'm ghetto), and I need to wire this right as well to get rid of the big ugly, stiff, blue ethernet cable.

13. billy beard

make me one.............................please

14. stefan

stefan What's a Dremel?

Very interesting you say aquarium. The computer was inside a 10 gallon aquarium for 3 months while I planned and built this case. It actually worked well as i laid it with the top facing the back and just laid all the pieces out and they all fit. It didn't have a cd or floppy since it is on my network.

I put the blue cathode in! The digicam made it look aqua, but trust me, it is EXTREAMLY BLUE! It's a shame it screwed up the color so much because it is a pure, crystal blue. Awesome....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 2 Feb 2002
  15. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

Looks quite nice m8 - tell me you made a guide for it? :--)

Gordon

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

looks fab m8 - BLOOOOOOOO OWNZ!

plz plz plz tell me where i can pick up a laptop dvd + adapter for a normal ide mobo plzplz

17. sTevE

sTevE What's a Dremel?

OMG!!~!!! so nice

18. stefan

stefan What's a Dremel?

I ordered the PCI plate from:
    http://www.addtronics.com

The slimline to IDE adapter came from:
    http://www.baber.com/baber/products/slimline_cd_adapter.htm

No guide, nothing too revolutionary in the actual contruction methods I used (learned it all from sites like this). I have been thinking for over a year about different enclosures for computers. Different materials and placement. This is my first shot at actual manifesting a design, and I have many other ideas and materials that I am pretty sure have not been tried. I haven't seen anyone hang one on the wall, much less out of plexi, and I also haven't seen anyone using colored plexi (outside of the pre-built systems, YUK!) so I think this was a good start.

I was really impressed to see how many people were modding their systems and they gave me a lot of ideas, but I noticed 80% of the mods still look like a standard computer case. I think the coolest ones I have found are the guys who totally abandon the classic case shape.

Counting that one, I have 6 computers...I want to start building "utility" computers. That will make the designs get even cooler as I will be forced to either hide the entire system (stealth mod from hell, eh?) or put it on display as art using different materials. I am going to shut up now before I give my ideas away! (sorry!)

As a side note, I built this system for my wife and she loves it! Build yours one, and she will think you are the :cool:est!

19. BannedMojo

BannedMojo Banned

Just rip out Photoshop and adjust the pic till it is as you see it :D