1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Not getting full speed anymore

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by raxonb, 6 Oct 2015.

1. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Hi All,

I have recently had my router upgraded to a Virgin Superhub 2 (less than a month) - at which point the line was also to go up to 152 meg.

Before the upgrade we had the original superhub in modem mode going into an Asus RT-AC68U because the WiFi on the superhub sucked more than Kirby.

When the new hub came I swapped them round (didn't have an engineer come), Virgin activated the hub and all seems well.

The hub and router is in my brothers room and on a speed test he hits 155-160Mb. In my room I was getting 95Mb. From the Asus router, a cat6 cable runs to my room which is connected to a Netgear WNR2000 v2 router, which then connects to my PC (again cat6).

I then removed the Netgear router so that my PC is connected directly to the Asus and the speed went up to 160Mb like in my brothers room, as expected.

However after a few days the speed has gone back down to 95Mb and I don't know why. No settings have changed anywhere. My mobo is old - a Gigabyte G41m combo but it's a gigabit port and as I said earlier I was getting the full 160Mb initially. It's almost like something is limiting it to 100Mb but I don't know what it could be? I've checked all the settings of the hub and modem and can't see anything that could force such a limit.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro X64

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Is the connection actually connected at 1 Gbps or 100 Mbps when it drops to 95Mbps? I'd wager that it may be incorrectly detecting the correct port speed, and lowering it to 100 Mbps instead of the full 1 Gbps you're meant to get from the chip.

That's just a shot in the dark though. I could be very wrong.

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Why do you have 2 routers connected to the modem (the hub)?

Either mis-negotiation of the port or an issue with double NAT'ing (but I'd go for mis-negotiation)

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

What model is the Netgear router? It's might only have 100Mbps ports and not 1Gbps so you'll be limited by the hardware.

Having multiple routers and double NAT'ing is just a world of hurt. Personally I'd scrap the Netgear router and just use a gigabit switch if you need multiple wired connections in your room.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds obvious but have you tried resetting (rebooting) the Asus router, if it started out at full speed and dropped over time it could be the router is struggling to cope, if it returns to full speed after a reboot then the router is the problem.

Also are you running the latest (30/9/2015) firmware on the Asus router?

6. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Thanks for the replies. The reason I has the Netgear (model WNR2000) was so I could also connect my TV to the network, but mainly to boost my WiFi signal as my room is at the far end of the house and without it I my phone sometimes struggles to connect to the Asus router - At present the Netgear is not in use and my PC is connected directly to the Asus router.

After checking the Properties on the network card I can see it is indeed running at 100Mbps. I've changed the speed to 1Gbps full duplex but this has not made a difference. I'm thinking to maybe chop the RJ45's off the cable and rewire them just to rule out the cable - I can't try using a different cable as it's at least 20 metres long.

I've never had the full 160Mb with the Netgear connected and I can accept that. So just to clarify the issue - I was getting full speed when my PC is connected directly to the Asus router, but now for some reason my Ethernet port has changed to 100Mbps. It's definitely capable at running 1Gbps.

I'll rewire the RJ45s at each end and report back if that has made a difference.

Thanks again for your replies :)

7. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It is not capable of 1Gbps as the specs on the netgear website list the router as 10/100:

A Gbps capable router would be listed as 10/100/1000 like this:

Last edited: 6 Oct 2015
  8. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Hi Atomic,

Sorry mate I wasn't very clear - My onboard ethernet is capable of running at 1Gbps as I have checked the specs on Gigabytes site. I am no longer using the Netgear router as I suspected it ran at 10/100 - thanks for confirming that it is a 10/100 router.

When I first removed the Netgear router I was getting a speed test rate of 160Mb, just like in my brothers room, but after a few days it dropped to 95Mb. When I checked the settings of the ethernet port it was 100Mbps. In the properties I have manually changed it from auto to 1Gbps but its still running at 100Mbps, hence I think I need to check the cable before looking at anything else.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I'm still not getting why you're using another router than a switch - there's two things you can do to check whether it's the router you're connecting to or the cable.

The first thing I'd do is swap that router out for a gigabit switch - you don't need anything expensive, something like this will do fine. If you want wifi, get an extender as well - something like this. I think the fact that you've got two routers in your network mix is screwing things up.

Check your cable along its full length for knots, kinks and tight bends - any bend should be no smaller than the diameter of a Coke can. I'd leave the connectors until you really have to, as it's unlikely to be those unless you made the cable yourself.

10. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

Problem solved - it was the cable (which I did make myself several years ago). Replaced the RJ45 and presto the Ethernet port is running back at 1Gbps.

The reason why I was using another router instead of a switch was because I had it lying around - I will look into getting a gigabit switch and wireless extender though.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions my fellow bit-techers - very much appreciated :)