1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Solar Panel to USB mod

Discussion in 'General' started by goldstar0011, 5 Oct 2015.

1. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Howdy

While ago my car was having battery issues, whilst diagnosing it I bough a semi decent solar panel that can either clip directly to the battery or into the 12v socket.

Now car's sorted the panel has no use.

Was thinking about finding away to create a USB plug that can be powered off the panel, handy for camping and powering a few lights and phone charge etc

Anything I need to consider so I'm not blowing up devices

Thanks

2. dynamis_dk

dynamis_dk Grr... Grumpy!!

If it takes a 12v feed straight off the panel, wouldn't a 5v stepdown regulator be ok? Not sure where you'll stand ampage wise but I always was under the thought that amps are taken by the device rather then forced (i.e. a 5v/5amp power supply can use power a 5v/1amp device just fine as it will just take the 1amp it needs)

3. asura

asura jack of all trades

Easiest way is probably just to snag a Belkin (or similar, but I've found them reliable) 12v->5v car plug thingie and hack it up for the bits you need.

4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

I was thinking, get a 12v female plug, get a 12v to 5v gizmo thingy which will have USB sockets at the end, wire it all together. Done?

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

That gizmo is exactly the thingie I was thinking of! However, are there any powered usb hubs that use an external 12v input to provide them with the 5v output? I've a D-Link sitting on my desk which is 5in5out but there might be something out there which is 12in5out?

6. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

There definitely is a 12v to 5v version of these devices, just need to find a decent one

7. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles

Ghetto(ish) solution :-

1. Get a Car 12v socket doubler.
    2. Insulate the male end so it can't short out on anything.
    3. Get a Car 12v to 5v USB adaptor.
    4. Plug the panel's plug into one socket and the USB adaptor into the other socket.

Sorted :thumb:

8. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

What's weird is I actually thought about that and removing the male parts

9. KID52

KID52 Minimodder

Voltage from a solar panel is going to fluctuate quite a bit, including higher than 12v at some points, maybe up to 18v when there isn't much load, so be careful what charger you use.

If you are wanting to use it when camping, I would have thought your best option would be to charge a USB powerbank during the day, then run devices off that.

You could probably get away with using a buck regulator like this, but you may wish to consider a solar charge controller instead.

10. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Where's the fun in that :D

But yeah, going to test voltages with an inline volt meter before putting anything important through it etc