1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I'm waiting on the ones in my yard to kill me. They seem to drop branches almost as fast as they drop leaves.

2. onevoicewild

onevoicewild What's a Dremel?

Awesome work Cheaps Always in amazement!

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, everyone.:D
    @Barry - Had a whole tree try that on me once . I was cutting it down, though.. Never turn your back on them, and if you hear a crack, run!

On the flux: I didn't have much luck with that, either. :(

[​IMG]
    -You want relish with that? Oh.. That's copper. I got to cut the last plate thanks to putting off maintenance on my ride. "the front fell off."
    [​IMG]
    -Note the big X to tell me what side to sink. :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -I drilled out the screw holes and gave them a countersink. It's wet because you would be amazed how fast a little copper plate can get hot here. I had to dunk it after each bore.
    [​IMG]
    -I never thought I'd see that. It almost looks functional.
    [​IMG]
    -The really old postal scale says it's STILL just under 2 pounds so far, barely. I will not be mounting the gpu card to the case. I will be mounting the case to the gpu waterblock.
    [​IMG]
    -I still have to mill out the chip seat on the main plate. I milled a chunk of pine so it was flat, and made a hole for the sink fins.
    [​IMG]
    -Now I need to screw it down... Nope. -Too big...
    [​IMG]
    -Aw.. so close...
    [​IMG]
    -RATS! These fit, but they are those awful, flimsy, super cheap screws that come with miniblind kits. The heads either strip out or snap off completely before they are halfway in.:(
    [​IMG]
    -Pic is blurry proof of 3 stripped screws out of 5. I only need the holes, fortunately. I got rid of these and put some of the 4-40 screws in their place. I should be able to level the plate using tension on those.
    [​IMG]
    -So, Why haven't I done the last milling process? While I was getting the plate set up, the power to my controller cooling system started to die.
    I got rid of the wall wart and rewired so I could run off Hypnotoad's PSU. During the test run the pump started to die. :/ I ripped everything apart again and replaced the pump with a spare Jingway pump. So I have an even worse snarl of plumbing, but everything works. I'm going to have to clean this up someday. I definitely need a flow indicator too.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  4. Cheapskate

Dang, Bit, You quiet! :lol:
    [​IMG]
    -The outer casing has been hanging out with one of the vacuum cleaners. God only know what they have been up to.
    [​IMG]
    -That was an event. It turns out the bit I picked out was old. It started clicking (basically chipping instead of cutting,) and later squealing as it dragged over the copper it didn't cut. I swapped that sucker out and the rest was smooth sailing.
    [​IMG]
    -A little 800 grit sandpaper to give you a hint where the bad bit cut. I don't care much since this is a spot to clear the outer chip bracket.
    [​IMG]
    -That looks like a pretty good seat considering this is the dry grey bubblegum from the stock heatsink.
    [​IMG]
    -For the V-reg sink, there was a ton of resistors in the way. I had to lop off some spots to clear them.
    [​IMG]
    -OK, more than 'some' spots. A lot of spots. I have to countersink some screw holes deeper now too.
    [​IMG]
    -But, Hey! without certain screws I could seat the entire block! Final part fitting party time!
    [​IMG]
    -Nope. Still a bad pic. Nice try for 11:00pm.
    [​IMG]
    -Did some off-camera tracing and cutting on the back panel. This will come in handy later for opening up those flush ports.

[​IMG]
    -I know I can fit this pipe now, so here I'm getting the lengths worked out.
    [​IMG]
    -Ghetto lathe: for those parts you can't hand sand without removing your skin.:D
    That's all for now. I have a part 2 I'll post later.

5. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Cheaps:lol:

Looking good man. :clap:

6. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

Nice looking block yo. I love your logs Cheaps, they make me giggle. :naughty:

7. 2kPro

2kPro What's a Dremel?

Woooow :jawdrop:

8. Cheapskate

YO! Wayn-NI-O! My man! I knew you were here.:D

Thanks, guys. I'm glad you like.
    @Noob - I hope I didn't burn through all my whimsy on the first half.

9. shinji2k

shinji2k Minimodder

Awesome block Cheaps!

Hurry and put some ports on it, I wanna see how well it performs :p.

10. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    Here- ports... You will have to wait for the rest.:(

[​IMG]
    -Last time I checked, this tube was a bunch of parts. Ignore the random junk used as spacers in the bottom of the case.
    [​IMG]
    -Scotch tape to detect the barb position. Leave it loose and it's 'cloudy.' Press a barb against it and you get a neat ring imprint.
    [​IMG]
    -A quick clamping setup to mill the barb hole. I have sheet rubber underneath.
    [​IMG]
    -I did some careful dremeling to open up the port.
    [​IMG]
    -And we're in! Pity the riser cable will cover this block.
    [​IMG]
    -I made a little something for the exit port.
    [​IMG]
    -XoX.
    [​IMG]
    -Drilled the screw holes in the end of the blue plate.
    [​IMG]
    -How do you figure out where to drill the port? Draw on the O-ring with a permanent marker, and screw the part in place. Rubber stamp-fu.
    [​IMG]
    -Up til now, you've only seen the cleaned up pipes. Here's one after a bath in fire and molten tin.
    [​IMG]
    -Here it is after two days of filing and sanding to get rid of the raised edges an logo stamping....and tin.
    So what you see here is one port drilling away from being a complete loop. I should have been wary because finale's are never smooth, but I'll leave the colossal F. ups for the next update.

On that ominous note, I'll see you later.

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Loving the turnip :thumb:

12. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Really awesome how well you've made use of the available space, tight SFF. :D

13. Cheapskate

Thanks.:D
    @Waynio - Nah, plenty of space...Oh wait. Wiring. I still have wiring.:worried:

14. Cheapskate

[​IMG]
    -ARRRRG! You had one job, drill press, and it wasn't to FU the last cut on the block! The press has been banished to the garage forever, never to enjoy the cool dry air inside again.
    [​IMG]
    -After I calmed down, I did a quick fix with the mill.
    [​IMG]
    -So I went after that port again with a hand drill. I started with a small bit and worked up to the holes you see here. The purple block in front was so I could align the bit horizontally.
    [​IMG]
    -After photo of the critical breaching of the middle hole. I figured it would chip something and make a horrible mess with the run of luck I'd had.
    [​IMG]
    -And that's a "complete" Gigabyte Windforce R9 waterblock. You will notice I didn't say, "finished." There's still testing and cleaning everything up. I have everything put together for the test run, but I haven't built up sufficient sized nuts to switch it on yet.

15. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

Your nuts are bigger than my head, and I have a fat head. DO EEET MAN!!!

16. noobas4urus

noobas4urus What's a Dremel?

What's the worst that could happen? I mean besides ending up with a huge stainless steel res.

17. Cheapskate

@Bart - No. :lol:
    @ Noob - "Man, I've put a whole gallon in, and it still has air in the loop. Why are my shoes wet?"
    Nah, dude. I have it in the temp case. It's hard to spot a leak with no windows.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The sheer awesome continues! Love the pipe work; very tidy and precise. And making your own GPU block is as hard core as it gets.

19. Cheapskate

Thanks! :lol: I'm not that hardcore. I didn't figure out all the items on the board that should be cooled. I just did the obvious ones.
    Pipe work is from a full year of clanking the parts together until I got a fit. The adjustable ports on the res were a lifesaver.

20. Cheapskate

OK, So far, so good. I'm getting 86 degrees Fahrenheit on my new block WITH a big air bubble in the fins.:lol: Ambient is 76 degrees.
    I have to run through a billion updates before I can do a stress test on it, though.:(