1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Temporary Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moleo, 6 Oct 2015.

1. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

Hello All,

In a couple of years I plan to upgrade most of my computer components. For now however, where is the best place to spend money temporarily?

i5 2500k
    560Ti MSI
    4Gb RAM 1600mhz
    Old 60Gb SSD/ 1TB HDD
    Asus P8P67 motherboard

Would it be worth spending £50 on another 560Ti? Or better to sell mine and use the money to buy something newer?
    Is it worth upgrading the RAM?
    Should I just wait?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

2. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Larger SSD or graphics is where I would put the money.

Since you are currently a few generations behind on a mid tier card. I don't think SLI is the way to go. But the real question is what aspect of your system is not meeting your requirements and upgrade that.

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

What is it that your system struggles with? The CPU is still more than capable and it would be a waste to upgrade it without investing in a better GPU first.

A larger SSD could also be on the board, if you're able to get that into your budget. It won't improve your feel as much as you already have one, but it will drastically reduce loading times in games.

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

I would say only 4GB ram is the biggest bottleneck from the above and is an inexpensive fix compared to a gpu or cpu (which again is more than capable today). Apart from that I would say shop around for deals on an ssd or another card for sli.

You already have an ssd so I don't believe a new one is worth it now if you are fully upgrading in a few years. Another final option could be upgrading to win10 if you haven't already as in using it I have noticed a boost in performance on both desktop and laptop

5. BigDan

BigDan What's a Dremel?

I agree with the RAM, wait on the SSD if you don't need it today. The prices will drop dramatically more than any other component.

6. Moleo

Moleo What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Thanks for the advice. I'm reconsidering the complete overhaul and I might instead go for a 970 if one comes up on Black Friday/the holiday sales and some more RAM. I'll change the mobo and CPU at some point when I've got some more money/there are major revolutionary changes. Thanks again!

Tags: