1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Last edited: 13 Oct 2015
  2. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Amazon has it too. I was looking at the Bell Super 2, but ended up going for the Bluegrass Goldeneye which I love so far.

3. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Yes flats with a set of Wellgo pedals which to be fair are wide an grippy. My main worry with the Five tens was the drying out but that seems more to be water going up an over which is less of a risk with a boot.

Re the Bell Super Youve got loads of other places

Winstanleys
    Leisure Lakes
    Tredz
    Tweek Cycles
    Chain Reaction Cycles
    Bike Discount DE
    Rose Bikes

4. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I wasn't impressed with Wiggle as they sent both helmets I ordered in plastic mailing envelopes.

There's no way I'd trust a helmet that was sent via the mail in such unprotected packaging considering the way packages are handled by courier companies.

Both went pack and I paid the extra to buy locally.

5. MeddlE

MeddlE Norwegian Blue

Use a spray on waterproofer and they are even better.

6. legoman

Last lid I got from them came in the retail box which was in another box. Im surprised they would be thick enough to send a helmet without some form of protection.

Good point! Seem them a bit cheaper with delivery Bike Discount so ill let the bank card recover an order them next month :D

7. legoman

Had some time off today so finished the bike, brakes need bleeding again still spongy but. But it rides fork an shock need setting up but ill do that when im in all me gear

[​IMG]

Spec list

Stevens Glide Max 09 Large
    Rockshox Revelation RCT 140mm
    Fox RP23 with boost can
    Stans Crest ZTR rims with Superstar Switch evo hubs (15mm Maxle front 10mm thuxaxle rear
    On One Chunky Monkey dual compound up front Nobby next trailstar rear (both tubeless)
    Hope 183 rotors back an front
    T-Mars dropper post with Selle Italia saddle
    Shimano Deore callipers with Superstar kevlar pads
    SLX rear mech 9spd 11-34
    XTR Front mech
    SLX Crank set with hope bashring instead of the outer ring 26T - 36T
    Wellgo B143 pedals
    Bicon Chain device
    Hope headset
    Superstar Zenith Stem 70mm
    CarbonCycles 660mm carbon bar
    Deore XT shifters
    Deore XT brake levers
    Renthal Kevlar grips
    Jagwire cable set

8. legoman

Well Today started OK turned rather crap rather quick. Seems a group of disgruntled walkers have taken it upon themselves to add some extras to a bike only trail.

Short version ive sucked some wire into my rear mech which has broken it and ruined the cassette.

Apparently the walkers are unhappy at us having a few bike specific trails to reduce the risk of them being hit by a bike (mind boggles)

Oh an apparently we destroy the fences, this is from the local trails facebook page. Clearly cyclists, this is a fence known to be repeatedly broken down by walkers as a shortcut. But they claim cyclists use it, The exit is 200 yrds down to the left.

[​IMG]

9. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Thanks for the help. I spent the weekend replacing my rear mech, chain and will be doing the rear cassette soon. The bike rides differently with actual chain tension its fantastic.

10. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Unlucky mate.

At the opposite end of the scale, I spent Sunday at Stainburn getting followed around and photographed by a guy from MBR while we put a new feature in the black trail.

He was impressed at how fast a new line could get built by a bunch of blokes with hand tools moving stone. All the people who came by were either very grateful (bikeys) or politely curious (non-bikeys). Somebody even tried to ride it and promptly went on their face (success!). Another addition to Stainburn's scary rock gardens of death collection.

Knowing my luck when the article runs in the new year only my shins will appear in print.

11. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

Ok, so I feel I am comment a little more on this now I have a few more miles under my belt.
    It's 'ok'. That is about the best terminology I can muster for them.
    In the dry you can can chuck it about a bit and have a reasonable level of confidence in it.
    In the wet, erm yeah it's no fun. I was at Cannock today with 13eightyfour and **** was all over the shop. It's seemed ok if not a little sketchy in the muddy stuff but on the loose rocks and the smoother stone around there I was honestly a little terrified in some of the corners. Albeit, my technical ability isn't massive and my wet riding is a bit lacking too. But 13 wasn't having as much problem as me.
    I have heard retail tyres vs 'bought with bike' tyres can differ in compound but I don't know.

I will likely be getting new tyres very soon, so recommendations for a fat lad riding a hardtail in winter would be well recommended.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2015
  12. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I can confirm, Kernel has a loose rear end :hehe:

13. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

So my 2015 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Sport (4 months old) got stolen mid week. Just ordered an end of line 2015 Specialized Rockhopper 29er Expert for not much more, it'll get sent back if the insurance company refuse to give me a cheque, but I'm looking forward to trying out the SRAM gear if it all works out.

14. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I got a Specialized Rockhopper 2015 Expert EVO 650b recently and the handlebars are almost comically wide. I feel like I'm turning a boat.
    Can anyone recommend some narrower handlebars that are modestly priced? I'm only riding through the woods and trails with it and would like more responsive control.

I'm going to admit to a certain level of noob here because I used to look at specs and read mags etc when I rode but I moved to Denmark for 10 years and basically did none and now I feel like I'm starting from square one.

15. legoman

Site says they are 740mm wide, if you pull the grips off nine times out of ten itll have cutting guides, if not you have loads of choices. I picked up some Easten Haven bars which are 710mm wide for £35 plain black with gloss black graphics so very unobtrusive.
    Plenty out there for that less an more really depends how wide you feel comfortable with.

Those shin/knee pads ive got coming do look really good from what I can tell people find them comfortable an well ventilated too. should be fun Sunday.

16. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Ta mate, thanks for the info. Yeah, you haven't posted them here. Can drop some feedback when you've given them a go.

17. legoman

No problem ill be out on Sunday with them an probably wander round the house Saturday to loosen them up

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

If you want to swap bars I have a narrow ish set on my specialized Epic which I can't get on with since riding my mates Santa Cruz. Being 6 feet 5 means I do have quite broad shoulders so I find myself gripping the end of the bars.

Also got this!

[​IMG]

Love it! Used wiggle for their cheapy next day delivery, arrived very well packed in its own box, inside of another bigger box with some haribo. They have to be popular for a reason and I think its that when they mean next day delivery, they sure do mean it :)

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Good to hear they've sorted their packaging since my order!

20. legoman

Did the usual scrub an lube on the bike fitted the new reverb which is much much better than the Tmars one I had before. Awaiting some goodies, namely a seatclamp with a cable route for the dropper and new BB spent a bit an went for hope options on both. Just waiting for them to turn up now.