1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Ultimate Workstation/Gaming Build Advice?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shoscarm, 14 Oct 2015.

1. Shoscarm

Shoscarm What's a Dremel?

Hi Guys,

So I've just joined the forums and wanting some advice on a build I've got in mind. I wanting to get back into video editing 3d work and photoshop etc. pretty much what I did at college. I also want this to last as long as possible with quite a bit of gaming involved also.

I will be streaming and editing 4K. I am also wanting to watercool the build as well (although I don't have a clue where to start) I've looked at watercooling guides but don't understand how many res I should have etc.

To some the price may be OTT but I'm not paying for it all at once more over time, spreading the cost etc.

The link is here for the Partpicker list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/mhKDWZ

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Whats the budget?

"Ultimate Workstation" and "Ultimate Gaming" are two different things - one is a dual-socket compute monster and the other is something like what you've specced out - so you might want to decide what's your priority.

Assuming £6k hardware based on your list, dual socket is within your reach, though would need a compromise on the gaming side of things - i.e. drop a GPU, for for Asus Z10 MB and a pair of 2640s for a similar overall cost. You can of course go nuts on the compute side of the fence as well, but it gets more expensive fairly quickly.

Last edited: 15 Oct 2015
  3. Shoscarm

Wow, sorry I'm glad someone replied with a serious comment. I'm not looking for something OTT. Hell even 6K for me seems insane but after seeing some builds on here it doesn't seem so insane.

I was going to go for 3 monitor setup but after looking what the final resolution would be it's close to 8K, so decided to go for 2 1440p monitors so I could essentially drop a GPU couldn't I?

Xeons would be better for the workstation side of things but what are they like for gaming? According to Linus he tests proved that they can be used for gaming.

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Anything can be used for gaming, it's just a matter of how effective it is. Gaming doesn't care about a bucket full of cores (beyond a few), so a single 5960X clocked at the mid 4GHz range is going to perform far better than a pair of 2460s at stock speeds (and double the cost), especially if going dual-socket means dropping a GPU.

So, barring finding a pair of ES Xeons (i.e. unlocked), you have to make a call on what's more important. If you're using the system for work (in that you make money from what you produce), I'd suggest opting for workstation first, if the video/3d work you're doing is recreational only then I'd suggest going for gaming first.

5. Shoscarm

Everything recreational at first, until I start to make money of course so the i7 would be the favourite choice then. if I'm only having two 1440p monitors would dual sli be the better choice then?

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I'll take a stab then:

i7 5960X
    ASUS X99 Deluxe/WS for all-rounder or Rampage V Extreme if you want a full cover waterblock from EK or Bitspower
    512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (out this month) or SM951 NVMe
    A couple of 1TB SATA SSD for 'everything else'. Does Samsung have a 2TB drive out now?
    Two 980 Ti of your choice - check for matching waterblocks if you want watercooling
    An ATX case you like but decide whether you want watercooling before you buy the case
    ~850W 80Plus Platinum PSU. I prefer Seasonic, but Corsair and lots of other rank highly these days. I would consider after-market cabling just for the sexy-look factor which limits your choice to something like Corsair, although I'm not sure all the options out there.
    32GB of DDR4
    Nice RGB mouse and keyboard with MX keys of your choice
    Three PG279Q - 27", 1440p, 165Hz, IPS, GSync.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

The workstation situation gets very expensive very quickly.

Assuming you want to maximise core count (which you do), to get beyond four at the moment means you end up spending either a lot of money on six-core Intel stuff that fits "gamer" boards, or you end up buying multi-chip Xeon, which costs a fortune in terms of both the board and all the stuff that plugs into it, often (but not always) to the point where you might as well go to Dell or HP and buy a big Xeon workstation direct.

I have used big, expensive video edit workstations, but what I've owned has always been at the top end of what you can achieve with whatever Gigabyte or Asus are doing at the time and I have made money with it, so don't assume you absolutely have to spend massively. A lot of the actual computation for video effects happens on GPUs these days anyway (and it is a thing of beauty).

P

8. Shoscarm

Sorry I haven't replied, wasn't getting notifications.

I have changed around a few components, well actually quite a lot.
    Here is the Parts list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/CnhXcf
    Ignore the AIO Cooler. I'm going for custom watercooling just didn't want the not compatible warning thing.

If you compare my previous list and this one, you can see for the same price on the newer list I have everything. I've never had razer gear before so going to give them a try.

I've opted for the 3 1080p monitors cause I was under the assumption that 3 1440p monitors would be too much for a steady 60fps if I was to play games.

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You don't need a 1600W PSU - 1000 is plenty.

10. Shoscarm

Was originally going to go for the 1500w from Corsair but was cheaper to get that one.

I'm wanting a custom watercooling loop as well "thought I'd added it"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk