1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics New GPU problem

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by moose67, 26 Oct 2015.

1. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I have received a new Acer XB270HU http://www.scan.co.uk/products/27-a...port-2560x1440-350cd-m2-100m1-4ms-speakers-us

The plan was to upgrade to a Display Port G-sync card soon.

In the mean time I was going to run the screen with my GTX 560ti's. I presumed that the display would still work with a DVI graphics card through a DVI to DP adapter.

I bought this adapter http://www.scan.co.uk/products/star...le)-to-dvi-i-(female)-video-adapter-converter after plugging it all in and getting "No Signal" I realised it is the wrong adapter. It is DP computer to DVI display.

I can't seem to find an adapter that will run DVI graphics to DP display. Does anyone know if this type is available? Or if it will even work like this at all?

Any help to get me running would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited: 28 Oct 2015
  2. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Hmmm, I thought this would be a no-brainer but its not. It seems there are lots of DP to DVI adapters but not DVI to DP. I did not realize they were not bi-directional but in retrospect, that makes sense since DP (and HDMI) are intelligent interfaces (with audio and control components) while DVI is just digital only).

I found some HDMI to DP converters but they are very expensive (while DP to HDMI is relatively cheap!).

I think you just need to buy the card you want now. If that will not be soon, then I suggest you find someone who will let you try your new monitor on their computer that has DP output to make sure your monitor works before the warranty and return dates pass.

3. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Thx for the reply Digerati

I have bought a new card, received it today, spent all afternoon trying to get it working.

The first time I booted up the new card I had a windows error message saying a new USB device or similar I/O has corrupted files on the OS. I had to run the repair/recovery process to get back to the Desktop.

All subsequent attempts have resulted in getting an instant error warning on my mobo's POST State LED's. Both the DRAM and CPU LED'S stay lit showing error. The white GPU LED is on, indicating power is correct.

The only way to get the PC to boot again is to re-fit the old GPU and clear CMOS.

The new GPU is a ASUS 970OC Strix http://www.ebuyer.com/666705-asus-g...b-gddr5-dual-dvi-hdmi-strix-gtx970-dc2oc-4gd5

My existing mobo is an Asus X58 Sabertooth, I am wondering if it's not up to the job maybe?

Any opinions please guys?

Last edited: 28 Oct 2015
  4. alfizzle

alfizzle Ooh aah just a little bit..

Some new cards have trouble with old boards, have you updated the bios to the latest version?

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Ignore, chatting to him on steam now.

6. alfizzle

There is 10 bios releases on the official page?

Latest bios is 1402

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Yeh I edited my response before you posted, he told me there was only 1 and then I decided to check for myself.

8. alfizzle

9. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Glad to report that the BIOS update has fixed the issue.

I wasn't holding much hope as the BIOS was dated oct 2012, but as soon as I did it I was able to boot the PC and get a signal from the D-SUB port to my VGA monitor. After a bit of messing around with the NVidia control panel the new screen came to life :clap:

It was about 2.30 am when I'd finally got everything tidied away and was able to test the screen in Red Orchestra. It looks very nice, only played for 20 min's though, but first impressions are very good indeed. Going to play all day today to make up for my 2 month break from gaming :D

Thanks guys for the input, especially to Crappers who helped me a lot last night.

@ Alfizzle Those 2x 560ti's you sold me did me proud, they worked flawlessly for 2.5 years and are still going strong now :thumb: Probably will sell 1 and keep one as a spare.

Thanks all!

10. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

Hmmm, that does seem a bit odd that fixed it but I am glad it did. How old was the original BIOS version?

11. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

The original BIOS was dated late 2009. I really didn't think it would fix it myself, but the comp booted instantly afterwards.

I had been trying all day to get it working, but every boot up would show a fault on the mobo's DRAM and CPU error LED's. Clearing the CMOS was the only way to get it to boot again (with the old card). So it does very much indicate that the BIOS fixed it.

If I had chosen to use the clear CMOS a lot sooner I could have saved a couple of hours I guess. I'd never used it before so was a little reluctant because by that stage I was already thinking I'd cooked my beloved rig :hehe:

Glad to say it is all running fine apart from a few settings need tweaking. Seems the v-sync is stuck on at the moment. And it takes a while for the screen to come on after boot up. I guess I need to tweak the Nvidia control panel a little later. But first I must catch up on 2 months of gaming I missed out on :D

Cheers

12. Digerati

Digerati Minimodder

2009 is pretty old and maybe HDMI support was not in it. Any way, I am glad it is working and thanks for the followup.

13. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

HDMI worked ok so it wasn't that. Something in the BIOS setting was missing or not set correctly is my assumption due to the DRAM and CPU faults.

I saw a few forums posts of others having to do a BIOS update to get the card working. It wasn't Asus specific though.

I have shed out a lot of money but it feels worth it, the quality and performance has increased massively :thumb:

Cheers

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

.....shells out all that money and you still haven't bought an SSD......................GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

LISTEN TO ME :)

15. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

I didn't want to shell anything out, and I must now lick my wounds, but soon Crappers, soon :D

16. alfizzle

Awesome stuff :) glad you got it sorted.

Nice to know the 560ti's are still going strong also :)