1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

do you take any antistatic precautions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andrew, 15 Aug 2003.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

I don't usually bother, although I am careful when handling my CPU and RAM. If its not in my computer then it lives in antistatic bags.

2. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

well I have to admit that I that some precautions via statics... like avoiding building a comp on a carpet (Obviously ;)).

Except from building a comp on the kitchen table :)D) I take no precautions... don't even use static bags... and I never screwed something due to static ;)

3. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

lol i actually try to fry stuff with static and i haven't yet (give me an excuse to upgrade :D )

i normally build my pc on my desk or on my bed, and i tend to just work on it.... no touching the case or anything

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Normally, a touch on the case side if its me own (m8's or family pc)
    but if I build a pc @ work (sometimes in a local PC shop) then don't really bother. The other guy that works there is mr static, takes no precautions at all... just wonders around the shop with bits in his hand, and puts then down anywhere to serve a customer... Worked for 3 days a couple of weeks ago and he killed:
    2 mobos (nforce1 and nforce2)
    3 cpus
    5 sticks of ram
    1 hdd
    and 3 graphics card (tho' 1 was a hot swap :wallbash: and the other wasn't plugged in right :jawdrop:)

personally killed nuttin :clap:

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Maybe with a CCFL inverter :eeek:

I live in an environment with god knows how much static and I've never had any problems.

6. Carbon

Carbon Banned

ive never had a problem either :D

7. Gandi69

Gandi69 Like to get busy wit fizzy..

Sometimes touch the case side etc. I did managed to fry a mobo the other day, however this was due to a dangling wire shorting something out :rolleyes:

8. ndtinker

ndtinker Car Washoholic

I lay my case out on the carpet and do all the work there, but I put the parts on top of something else besides the floor.

Never had any problems yet.

9. micb

micb Minimodder

I have built and serviced many computers both at home and in various workplaces, I have never blowed somthing due to static discharge.

Although in the last few years I wear a rist strap and religiously put things in anti-static bags.

I don't want to take even a slight chance of damaging somthing espesially when it is not mine to damage.

10. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

It's just easier than blowing £££ worth of stuff :d

I work as a ICT Tech in a uni and the H&S rules say we have to take anti-static precautions (wristband) for OUR protection not to protect the equiptment...

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

Yes, I'm sorta paraniod about zapping one of my expencive computer components!

I usualy wear one of these attached to a ground lead:

[​IMG]

when working on computers, or simply leave the powercord in with the breaker switch off, and work while touching the metal chasse.

Antistatic bags are in abundance at my house :D

12. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

The way I see it, as long as you discharge any static you may be carrying, there's absolutely no chance of building up enough just by handling/working with components to fry anything, unless you wear multicoloured fake wool jumpers or something, and then you deserve to be "fined" for crimes against fashion :D

13. AdeTBun

AdeTBun What's a Dremel?

I used to use an anti static wrist strap, but found the limitation in movement to be a pain! These days I just keep touching a radiator to earth myself and find this to be more than adequate! The aim is, after all, to discharge any static build up in you into some kind of ground and radiators are always (if fitted properly!) grounded!

Ade

14. Sky Hacker

Sky Hacker What's a Dremel?

I never used to. shocked a old vid card and when i put in in the comp one of the memory chips burst into flames.

Me: Cool! Two Monitors!........... hey what happened?
    My Bro: *sniff* Sniff* Do you smell Burning?
    *Slight pause*
    *much tearing of power cords*

15. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

not as many as I should

/me has fried a few cards and hard drives

16. Gretzky

Gretzky What's a Dremel?

I never was worried about static. If I was I just taped something metal and that was that.

*No dead hardware yet ( knock on wood )