1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I agreed to work Halloween because I'm a spineless idiot who can't bring himself to say no. It's our busiest day of the year (taxi driver) and wall to wall drunks and the last thing I need is extra money. Last time I worked Halloween I got so pissed off I quit the next day. Lets see if it happens again.

2. sjamppo

sjamppo Minimodder

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3699902&postcount=15145

This.

**** this ****.

-- edit --

She passed away a few months back. I'm now struggeling with my feelings, as I'm a complete and utter idiot in these things. Can't talk about what I really want with anyone since I don't want to look stupid or I don't know. My head just keeps on spinning.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Dude. Sit down and write it all down. Whether you show it to anyone or not is up to you, but getting it out of your brain and onto paper will help.

If you do need someone to want to there are lots of us on here that would be happy to listen by PM :thumb:

EDIT: Fire Nexxo a PM. He works with people in your circumstances professionally and can probably refer you to someone who knows where to start.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Write what you wish to write and then go and sit down and read it to her dude.

My dad passed away when I was 7, so whenever things got hard or I was struggling I would go and sit and have a chat with him. It actually really helped, because I was talking about it. Sure, he never replied but I felt he was listening.

I'm so, so sorry to hear that you lost your wife.

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Writing a letter can be a great way of processing grief, but can also pop the lid off a lot of feelings which may then be hard to put back in the box. So I would advise to do it in a safe place, with supportive people nearby, and to plan an activity straight afterwards that takes you away from the place where you wrote down your feelings, doing something comforting with friends or family.

PM sent.

6. legoman

legoman breaker of things

My Broadband connection (oh the first world problems)

Downstream Upstream
    SNR Margin 6.0 7.0 db
    Line Attenuation 59.0 31.5 db
    Data Rate 2336 672 kbps
    Max Rate 2464 852 kbps
    CRC 610 1

Mmmm that SNR, looks like I need another line reprofile again joys of being on an over subscribed exchange an about 4.5K from it

7. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Bought car yesterday, left it running with keys in, shut door... Locked out

Had to smash the passenger side window cause i had to get back to work... Completely devastated

8. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Despite killing a production server while performing maintenance on Thursday night (stuck in an infinite BSOD loop, even the VM snapshot 'cos I done screwed up :duh: Then again, I know the restoration process now which is more than I did before!) it's still on my list of things to do.

It hasn't had regular maintenance carried out in over two years and is fragile as hell as a consequence. Look at it funny? - it crashes. Fart in its general direction? - it crashes. Use harsh language within hearing distance? - you get the picture :wallbash:

Personally I'd prefer to strip the data and build a new VM (it's a little flaky to start with as it's a P2V), there's already one in place to move everything to. It'd take an hour or two to change the application version to the one we're currently using and copy the data across - job done! Nope, gotta work with the one we have already.

It may be my boss testing my patience and persistence but I'm only a temporary attachment to the team (6 month secondment, up in Feb) and I truly do not know what I'm doing! Training consisted of "Here's your domain admin account, here's what the bloke before you did (might as well have been in crayon for all the information contained). Have fun!"

Part of the reason the job was offered to me was because I'd reached burnout on 1st line support (with 2nd and 3rd line applications support, problem management, development and project work thrown in for shits and giggles) and it was supposed to reduce my stress levels (I kinda went hysterical in the office. In anger mode. In front of one of the directors. Oops? Then I was off work for the best part of a month, most of it spent drunk.) I believe that this qualifies as "Not helping!"

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Got in from Halloween party at 7am. Oh god today is going to be horrendous.

10. Arthur

Arthur It's for 'erberts !

Wasn't the one in Lambeth was it ?

11. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Ha haha, no, I was north of the river. Did see that though. Sounds like a right mess.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I did that once. My car had a Clifford Eagle 2 alarm on it and after about a minute it locks the doors.

It was snowing heavily and I started the car and turned the heaters on full.. I then (like an idiot) got out and closed the doors and started scraping snow from the windscreen. Then it locked me out, and near on all of the local locksmiths were refusing to come out. By the time I found one I had no petrol left and he charged me $250.

I was also late for work, so got written up.

13. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

I just found out that I can't plug both coffee maker & steam iron on the basement's wall plug : / Hopefully I had a lantern nearby.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Hmm. Should not do that. When the key is left in the ignition with engine running, the auto-lock should disable, both on standard cars and on Clifford Eagle alarm systems.

15. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

I've had a flu virus since the start of last week and since Friday it's made me go deaf in one ear, having to go see the doctor this afternoon to make sure I don't have an infection that could cause me any more longer-term hearing troubles as being able to hear is a requirement for a fair chunk of my job...

16. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just had a strange phone call from a woman who said she was Harry's wife and started asking me about the throat cancer I had some 6 years ago.
    It turned out the Harry she was talking about was the wife of none other than my father who I have not spoken to for 45 years. She then handed the phone to Harry.
    It was a strange phone call I was not rude but I was certainly cold but he spent most of the phone call telling me about family stuff which I have absolutely no interest in given that I have not seen, nor want to, any members of my family for decades.

He rang off telling me that he would be in touch if he heard anything and I have no idea what that means.

Strange times indeed.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2015
  17. GeordieStew

GeordieStew Minimodder

Was it a man or a woman?

But sounds fairly random nonetheless!

18. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Was what a man or a woman?
    I am sure my father was/is a man therefore I assume his wife is a woman.

19. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I think the bold sections need explanation. You talk about a woman calling you, then referring to her as 'he'. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Edited original post for clarity.