1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Is it possible to join 2 MKV files without recoding?

Discussion in 'Software' started by cdb, 6 Nov 2015.

1. cdb

cdb No comment

I'm just backing up some of my blu-rays and some of them are split into 2 files. Is it possible to join them as simply as I can .m2ts files from my camcorder?

I've done a google but most of the stuff that claims to do it you either have to buy or it seems to want to recoding (or whatever the correct term is) so will take ages, not seconds as in my camcorder software for .m2ts files.

2. BlodadTand

BlodadTand What's a Dremel?

I've used File Joiner for this kind of thing before, it's super simple and 100% free to use.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Short answer: It depends.

Long answer: MKV is a container, and tells you nothing about the video and audio inside the container. MKVMerge (part of MKVToolNix, the official MKV editing toolkit) can merge multiple MKV files. if the audio and video in both files is the same format (CODEC, e.g. h.264) and the resolution is the same, this will just be like a regular join. If they're different formats or resolutions, some playback programs/devices may not be able to handle it.
    If the resolutions & formats are the same, you can also extract the video and audio streams (using MKVExtract, also in MKVToolNix) and merge the actual video and audio files with ffmpeg.

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

This.
    MKV can contain almost any video format and that is what counts when joining without re-encoding. That said, if they both came from effectively the same source then the should be the same format. I use the copy settings in Avidemux as a general purpose tool for simple joining jobs, but they do have to be exactly the same format.

Since you are backing up Blurays, are to using MakeMKV? I thought it was typically able to take all the disk content you select and put it in a single MKV, rather than multiple files.

5. cdb

cdb No comment

Yes I'm using Makemkv, but some blu-rays seem to split the feature into two or more segments. Frozen, I think it is for example is splits at various parts to replace an English with a foreign (Spanish?) clip. Tron legacy comes in two bits, same as the Hobbit, but the hobbit gives me the impression it might have split the film over the 2 layers. There's a few that aren't a single file.