1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New folding PC in the offing.

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Petaflops, 6 Nov 2015.

1. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Currently I'm folding on my main pc in the house with 2 x Asus 290X GPU's. This does make for the sound of a small hurricane in the study, which my good wife rather objects to when she is trying to go to sleep. The net result is that I only fold through the day. However my cunning master plan is soon to come to fruition as I'm going to build a dedicated folding PC up in the mobile home on my smallholding. I've found a Gigabyte Z97 gaming G1 motherboard for only 99 quid and I'm putting in a 4790K and 16GB of Corsair RAM with a H100 cooler. I have an old Coolermaster Stacker case which is huge and I've treated my self to a new Enermax 1500W PSU. I normally run machines with crappy PSU's so this time it is going to be different. As before I'm going to run climate models on the CPU and folding on the GPU's. I'm thinking of getting another two 290X cards and to have 4 in the machine. I'm not sure how this will work out with heat. It might be too much in too small a space. I should start building it tomorrow all things being equal. Hoping to get maybe 4 - 500,000 with the two cards. Not sure with 4?. Anyway I thought I'd let you all know my current plan, and I'll update as and when there is something to report.
    Pete

2. Qazax

Qazax Fap fap fap

As long as you have 4 threads free to feed each GPU you should be golden. SOunds like it will be a prety sld folder if you get t going 24/7

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

Quick update on todays disaster.

I have now built the pc and today I installed Windows 7 onto the SSD. So far so good. Then I decided that I might as well grab the free upgrade to Windows 10. I spent as good hour and a half downloading the files and going thorough the install only for it to fail when rebooting the system. And that was it. The SSD had died on me and the 4 hours of work was completely wasted. :wallbash: :waah: Geerrrr! Don't you just hate computers sometimes and swearing at them doesn't seem to make much difference at all. New SSD just ordered. So much for using old kit!