1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mod of the Month Mod of the Month October 2015 in association with Corsair

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Combatus, 6 Nov 2015.

?

What are your favourite projects this month?

Poll closed 29 Nov 2015.
  1. Frozen Throne by ToddK

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Lightning by EK_Derick

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  3. POWER CELL by Zenator

15 vote(s)
    26.3%
  4. Redox By August L

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  5. Tristellar Whetstone by alain-s

28 vote(s)
    49.1%
  6. TwinForceTower by Themitichris

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. alain-s

alain-s Minimodder

Sweet! Thanks for the nomination. Good luck to all the contenders ^^

3. Seinron

Seinron What's a Dremel?

My vote for Alain-S awesome work on the Tristellar !

4. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Been a while since I've looked in on Mod of the Month, some really nice work there- but one question!

Would it not be better waiting until the projects are complete before adding them?

5. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Thanks for the nomination! More updates coming this weekend :)

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We have two monthly articles like this - Mod of the month has always been about in-progress stuff to get new projects noticed.

We recently introduced the Modding Update too, which looks at finished builds - so basically we cover both, looking at 10 or so projects every month. However - Mod of the month sounds more jazzy than Modding update, so I've been considering swapping them - so Mod of the month would be finished builds and modding update would be for in-progress stuff. What do you guys reckon?

7. Geno

Geno What's a Dremel?

Yes I think it's better like that. And if it is possible, send a pm to prevent nominated modders :)

And also your pm storage is full, we cannot reply to your messages !

My vote is for Alain-S ! I think it will be amazing :thumb:

8. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

That swap sounds good, so long as it's all clear.
    A lot of choice this month. Alain S did it for me in the case mod department, with August's corroded look very tempting with that aged look.
    On the scratch build front, it's a direct hit from Zenator for me, putting a nice little ITX board into a wonderfully tall cylinder!
    Lots of inspiring stuff all round, and another hard choice for the voting.

9. Zenator

Zenator Minimodder

Thank you for the nomination! Going to be another tough one, Lots of sweet mods, best of luck to all. :)

10. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Oh wow, thanks for the nomination! :D

11. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

One for Alain.

12. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I like the rusting metal case look as it's something a bit different, so my vote is for Redox by August L.

13. EMF

EMF What's a Dremel?

One for Tristellar !..great work

14. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

One thing i don't really like about these mods competitions is that there's some mods that are VERY heavily sponsored, if not 100%. This gives them an unfair advantage compared to other modders i think..
    The Tri-Stellar case alone is 400€ and then comes all the other parts, making it a build lots of the users on here can't even afford. a rough estimate is about 3000€ worth of freebies, giving him a HUGE advantage compared to someone that just want to make a nice build from his own pockets!

Is it the companies that hires professional modders the competition is for or is it for the users of the site? (i have no doubt why the companies are eager to sponsor, they get their name all over the post and if their modder wins, that just stupid cheap advertisement!)

15. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

I like that idea, besides Update sounds more applicable to in-progress anyway

16. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Well, that is exactly the reason companies sponsor...

If the price of the hardware bothers you, ignore it and just look at the actual modding and skill that goes into the mods done rather than the shiny-ness of the hardware used.

That's how I approach it anyway. Who I feel deserves to get recognition. Modders who may be less known or who contribute to the community, stepping outside of their own logs to encourage others, trying new things, etc are all what a community is built on; we need more encouragement around that and less complaining about what's in the mod, whether cheap or expensive hardware, and whether sponsored or not. I mean, I get it, expensive hardware is nice to look at and go "sure wish I could afford that in my build", and with out the people using shiny new hardware, there wouldn't be as much drive from manufacturers to make shiny new hardware, but I can at least enjoy a mod with out requiring $5,000 worth of hardware. Just my take on it.

17. ToddK

ToddK What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I have to agree. I try not to stress over what goes inside as much as try to appreciate all the structural work that goes into making a case look fancy. Some people like to look at sexy parts and some just like the final result. I'm just in modding because I have a creative side and I'm a bit of a nerd. I know I'll never have the 'latest & greatest', but I can still enjoy the PC I have on my desk. Anyway online voting is always at the mercy of the voters. Like this month even though some builds may be heavily sponsored I'm still seeing a lot of great work going into them, and it's nice to be lined up next to them. :thumb:

18. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

@Combatus That sounds like a good change. MotM sounds like it should be for completed projects anyways, best of that month and all. And even though I try to keep up, I get them turned around in my head sometimes.

@Sn3aker If you think getting sponsored gives a case an advantage, then you're looking at the mods wrong. I'm not saying people don't get blinded by the bling and everyone has their own taste, but if you look at them for creativity, design, and execution, then the dollar signs don't matter.

@Mos +9000

19. Sn3akr

Sn3akr What's a Dremel?

It's not as much a complaint, but it's a fact that mostly heavily sponsored mods are subjects of exposure in theese competitions, and often the modders are professionals, that does it for a living (and do subtle/less subtle advertising for their services in the process, meanwhile the less known modder drowns in the mass exposure theese pro's get, wich is why i thinkk it would be a great idea to split it up in a pro/non pro competition.. Then we'd see more great ideas not requireing access to massive industrial machinery like lazercutters, cnc cutters etc, but maybe a modder using a hacksaw instead.

20. Deblow

Deblow Minimodder

I get what your saying, but sponsors dont build or mod, they just give discounts on the items used or freebies,
    agree that CNC/factory builds are at an advantage, but to split them from other modders would be difficult & pointless as its down to how good your ideas are & sometimes the craftsmanship involved.

If your not modding for the fun & challenge because its something you like to do i.e hobby, then you shouldn't be modding.
    If the mod is good you will get exposure no mater if you have sponsors or not.

BTW, would you class me as a PRO or None PRO? :eyebrow: