1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Quiet CPU cooler recommendations

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by _DTM2000_, 16 Nov 2015.

1. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Hi,

I'm putting together a system for audio/visual use that needs to run cool and quiet under a desk.
    The CPU will probably be an i5 6400 (65W) and I'm looking for a cooler (air or water) that will keep this happy and run as quiet as possible for less than £50. I'd also prefer something that won't obscure any RAM slots.

I've had lots of success with Noctua coolers in i7 systems, so my first thought was the NH-U12S but I'm wondering if there's anything as good or better for a bit less money?

Cheers.

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

If you want total DIMM slot freedom, you'd be best going down the AIO route.

I know that Parge is selling his Tundra 3 for £55. I was going to get it in December but I can give it up if you're interested.

3. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Thanks for the heads up but I'm hoping to find something closer to £40 as I've been given a very tight budget. I'll keep this in mind though.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

5. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Thanks, the Seidon 120V was another option I'd looked at but it seemed to be louder based on the reviews I looked at. Have you had any experience with this compared to the Noctua?

6. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Most if not all CLCs have pump noise. A good air cooler can easily cool a 65w CPU with no fan at all.

Something like Thermalright Macho rev.B will give you RAM clearance and no noise. £42.90 FREE UK delivery It is 162mm tall, 140mm wide (7mm center CPU toward PCIe socket), and 102mm deep (25mm center CPU toward RAM without fan)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermalRigh...1447689373&sr=8-1&keywords=thermalright+macho

7. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

This. If noise is a concern on a low TDP system, LCLCs are immediately out of the question for me. It's an extra motor where there doesn't need to be one.

With that said, I've done a silent build with a custom loop in the past by hooking the pump to 5V only, but that was also with sound insulation mats on every panel, even the bottom.

8. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

Thanks, that was my initial feeling also but I wanted to keep an open mind to other possibilities.
    Seen as I want to aim for maximum reliability I think I'll stick with an air cooler.

I'm not familiar with the Macho rev.B so I'll take a look. Thanks.

9. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

The Macho looks like a really good alternative but unfortunately it's slightly too tall to fit in the case I've been looking at. I've struggled to find a decent looking mini-ATX case around £30 mark that will fit tall coolers. The best I've found so far is the Cooler Master N200 but that will only accept coolers up to 160mm tall. The NH-U12S is 158mm. So even that is really pushing it with 2mm clearance.

10. doyll

doyll Minimodder

As a general rule of thumb, the bigger the cooler the less airflow / air speed is needed to keep things cool. The Macho was originally designed as a passive cooler and the newer Macho Zero is also passive. The larger fin size /area radiates more heat and wider space between fins allows air to flow through easier.

I can't say for sure but it is very possible a 162mm cooler will fit in N200. Most cases have a few mm more clearance than their specs say they have.