1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Fallout 4 review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 17 Nov 2015.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

More like Fallout 3.5 really.. a shame, since a game of the Witcher 3's depth in the fallout setting would be amazing.

3. blinkieleblind

blinkieleblind Tings and such

According to steam I have spent 15 hours playing it thus far and while I am enjoying it I feel that the score given here is justified. I find the keybind layout for pc to be quite awkward in places for example at having to press enter all the time while in build mode (I have been playing with that quite a bit) which you can not seem to change. The combat can be quite frustrating at times as throwing grenades and Molotov's feels a bit clumsy and I find the over exaggerated blood and body parts falling off at the smallest hit to be unrefined. I do think however that Bethesda has done a great job at capturing the atmosphere as daylight can be beautiful and the night terrifying (not to mention the toxic storms). Also those feral ghouls scare the s#$t out of me when they charge you.

I have to say that I commend you Rick for taking the time with this review. A lot of the reviews that are overly positive came out just after launch which made me immediately suspicious.

4. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

Hm, yes there's definitely been a bit of 'OMG it's Fallout - 9/10' going on with the reviews.

5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Judging by this review, Bethesda have made a poor copy of STALKER i.e. a Shooting RPG, rather than a good Fallout i.e. RPG with some shooting.

Kind of glad I missed out on the hype, but i'll be sure to pick it up in the sales.

6. stefan442

stefan442 Minimodder

Got it for 32 quid on Greenman gaming, not to bad. My first fallout game, quite enjoying it.

Have put 18 hours into it so far so looking like it's been worth the money. And the mods that will come out should hopefully give it some sort of replay value.

Stupidly spent money on cod release on pc last year.... Never again. Biggest regret I have had in years on spending money. Had missed a few releases and.thought I would give it a go.

7. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

This game has Steam sale GOTY edition written all over it...

8. Panos

Panos Minimodder

Indeed. I will be waiting for the GOTY edition next year and doing that for all Bethesda's software now.

Because I have bought both Fallout 3, New Vegas and Skyrim numerous times each one of their different versions & DLCs.
    for example Fallout 3 for PC 2008 (DVD), bought few DLCs (not all), PS3 GOTY 2009, and GOTY for PC 2010 on Steam. Same applied for NV (not PS3) and Skyrim. This time decided I will wait for next year.

9. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

10. Xir

Xir Modder

Humm, shame, I had hoped it would have a bit LESS combat than Fallout 3, as it distracts you from exploring the cleverly made world.

Oh well, I've still got New Vegas to play.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I loved Fallout 3, but I can't muster any enthusiasm for this. I haven't even filed it away as one to grab in the sales - just not feeling it. At all.

Teelzebub likes this.
  12. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The reports I've heard have all said it's a good game... Just a bad Fallout game...

13. rollo

rollo Modder

It's a good game does it have to be a good fallout game not so sure myself. Rpg shooters all tend to suffer one way or another. Only really borderlands avoids this and even then not entirely. Agree about the explosive weapons they are generally very strong to the point of game breaking.

The early machine gun turrets hurt but one well placed grenade wrecks them.

Late game the explosive dmg is nothing compared to the sniper rifle. VATS headshot spam one shots most humans not in power armor and 2 shots for powered units. It's pretty broken stuff in reality.

Cryogun is fun and is crazy broken early levels where it can 1-2 shot anything.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Cd Projekt Red developed Fallout 5?

How to make more money in the first 24 hours of accepting preorders than the entire CoD series combined over its lifetime...

(but unfortunately never going to happen)

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

A big difference between Witcher and Fallout is the player character. In Witcher you are Geralt. Geralt of Rivia has a personality, given character traits, habbits and a history the persons he meets react to. Also the main story line follows a given plot.

Fallout is a sandbox game, the lone wanderer has no personality or history the NPCs can react to. It is much more difficult to make NPC behave in a realistic way. I'm not sure CD Projekt Red could achieve the same level of realism in a Fallout game as they did with Witcher 3.

Still NPCs usually have the personality of Keanu Reeves a wooden stick in Bethesda games.

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Very true.

That being said, I just spent a little under 5 hours last night and barely gone anywhere. Still just browsing around, exploring, killing a few things or crafting a few stuff. For the money spent, I'm definitely enjoying the content.

Disclaimer: Haven't played either Witcher 3 or MGS 5, since I don't have the time.

17. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

This is my first Fallout game and I'm enjoying it. Though sometimes I end up exploring too much trying to pick up every single thing I find, only to then have too much weight. So then I'll stash some junk thinking I'll pick it up later and sell some stuff to lessen my load thinking I'll now go back to collect the stashed junk... but on the way I end up killing some Raiders or whatever and finding more junk - the cycle continues!

Although I haven't tried it yet I've heard on the PC version there's a secret room containing every single item, weapon, ammo, power suit and collectable...the joys of playing on PC :)

18. Ficky Pucker

Ficky Pucker I

good to see there's at least one website with enough balls to do an honest review instead of slapping 9/10 and ignoring all the issues with the game.

19. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

I think I'll be waiting till the bugs are ironed out, but it looks like a game I will enjoy, perhaps not as much as I loved FO3/NV, I'll have to wait and see. Have every weapon, full upgraded, in the game in FO:NV and like 440K caps and a BoS safehouse full of gold bars and armour, clothes, spare books and magazines...and I played that game way too much.

20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think 75% is a little harsh. Sure the graphics are a bit dated and yeah, there are a few bugs but 75%? for a game with this much longevity and love splashed on it?

I think those who gave it 9/10 etc just saw the game for what it is. A very long, very deep RPG with some really fantastic ideas.

Tags: Add Tags