1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Graphics Upgrade Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Promethus, 15 Nov 2015.

1. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

I am currently looking to upgrade my graphics cards. The current system configuration is:
    Intel i7 980X
    Asus Rampage Extreme III
    24GB Samsung RAM
    Corsair HX1000 PSU
    2x EVGA 670 Cheesecake

I am going to be moving the two 670s to a secondary PC, and so I am looking for an upgrade to my primary desktop. I was thinking a pair of EVGA 970 FTWs. It is used for gaming, fps/simulation/strategy, and some video encoding. I will not even consider AMD cards (had one before, never again).

Should I consider holding off until the next generation of Nvidia cards come out?

Is the age of the motherboard going to hold back any GPU upgrade?

Is there anything else I should consider, before purchasing?

Thanks

2. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

I'd consider a 980ti instead of 2 x 970's. Similar performance from the reviews I've seen, and probably not much difference in price. Also avoids the whole 3.5GB VRAM thing and any scaling issues with SLI.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What resolution do you game at?

4. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

5. trueno!

trueno! That's TRUE-N-NO if ure not sure!..

I would have to agree with spolsh as well seeing as you would get 6GB of effective ram to work with instead of 3.5GB + 500MB of slower clocked ram shared between the two 970s, in addition going with a 980Ti will give you the future option to go SLi another!..

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

6. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

As SLI user I would agree with the others here get yourself a single more powerful GPU and later get another as needed.

I've had SLI for almost as long as I can remember and never had a problem but the best way is to start with the better card and build on that

7. Promethus

Promethus What's a Dremel?

Apologies for the slowness of the reply.

Current resolution is 2560x1440, but I am looking to get an Oculus Rift once they reach retail.

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

After being dissuaded from getting 2 x 380Xs and investing in a single Fury X (on this very site, I might add!), I can comfortably say that the new top end single card solutions will mash pretty much anything @1440p.

Whether your Green, Red, or doesn't matter, the Fury X and 980Ti are pretty much optimal (for me) at 1440p.

9. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

If you're Team Green, get yourself a 980Ti. I'd take that as a better option over 2x970, largely for the reasons set out above! :thumb:

Tags: