1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft demos Windows 10 Mobile Continuum mode

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Nov 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

MS pushing me further into getting a 950XL with news like this.
    Already implementing Nexus 5 features that were inexplicably left out of the 5X (Qi charging, for one) and it's around the same price as the 6P.

If I can link this to my desktop, it'll come in pretty handy!

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Agreed. And based on demos of the camera from YouTube users who got their hands on the unofficial release device, the camera is insanely good. I mean, considering the price of the device compared to others, it has its flaws of course, I mean it is a smartphone camera after all. Definitely worth a look into, is pretty much what I am saying, if you care about the camera.

The reason why I am interested in Windows 10 Mobile, personally, is that I see Microsoft putting some serious effort into the device, unlike Windows Phone 7, and Windows Phone 8 late years. You see a more mature OS. Now yes, lack of Apps is an issue. It does seam to have the essentials (beside Google apps. But, it does has Edge web browser, and like Android you can set desktop or phone web browser ID with the website to access the mobile or not the web site, which is nice), and looks pretty decent too. While Edge is Edge, it is nevertheless a solid, full, proper web browser on smartphone, so web sites will work like it does on your desktop use the same web browser. Diminishing the need of web site dedicated apps. Yes of course, many apps add features to the experience, but it is better than 0 access. I think the app ecosystem will get better, thanks to universal app framework. Definitely will take time. And remains a phone to consider if you are not app dependent.

Last edited: 18 Nov 2015
  4. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

Agree, its great to see all the features that have popped up in the last few years that have been pretty useful like Qi Charging and the continuum feature make it into one smartphone, although fingerprint recognition is the main missing feature currently IMO.

I am holding fire until there is news on a 4" Windows 10 smartphone which runs all of the features however as I just cant get used to phones of a larger size (my workphone iPhone 6 isnt the largest around but I still find it too big)

5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

See, I kinda like the idea of a bigger phone now.
    I had a tablet and I loved it, but carting it about everywhere was a real first-world problem!

At least with a bigger phone, especially with desktop OS functionality, I get to use it as a tablet but in a smaller form.:thumb:

6. GoodBytes

Yea. But I think Microsoft is focused on Windows Hello, which I think the company believes to be more secure. Of course, only time will tell.

7. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You can do that on WP8 with IE, unless there's some added extra component to force this that IE doesn't use since Bit-Techs mobile site, iirc, ignored the desktop option.

Continuum looks good, actually it was one of the reasons i was so interested in the Ubuntu phone OS. One thing i find sad about W10, is the three lined bar that opens menus in apps and app design. I really liked the W8/WP8 pivot design, but I suppose they want continuity across platforms so if someone switches they aren't instantly lost.

8. GoodBytes

Oh yes yes, I was not highlighting as a new feature, but rather that, it has that feature, but I assumed that many people don't know about Windows Phone.

9. Stelph

Stelph Minimodder

True, and im sure the tech has come on from when it was tried with Android phones previously and it was pretty useless., I just dont think itll ever be as fast/seamless as the fingerprint scanners are now where you can essentially unlock your phone as you are taking it out of your pocket

10. GoodBytes

Well, it works really well on Windows 10 devices. So it looks promising. Now we have to see Windows 10 Mobile device how it will fare. I expect, you want a phone with a powerful CPU (well so far, the supported phones (Lumia 950/950XL) do have a fairly powerful CPU.

11. ----jimbo----

----jimbo---- What's a Dremel?

I'd love this, but there are 2 things that are stopping me moving back to Windows Phone. (always had Windows Mobile and Windows Phones till my HTC One M7)

1, the new 9xx just doesn't seem "premium" enough. specs wise it's great but I wanted it to look great. Magnesium like the SP would have been brilliant.

2. Still lack of apps, I know, I know, but it seems fewer companies bother now than 2 years ago! I need apps for my lifx bulbs, Wave thermostat and Logitech Harmony. Not having those makes those devices useless.

12. Xir

Xir Modder