1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall

Discussion in 'General' started by Ice Tea, 24 Nov 2015.

1. Ice Tea

Ice Tea Minimodder

Fire risks prompt tumble dryer recall

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34901765

A "significant" number of tumble dryers sold in the last 11 years in the UK may need a repair owing to fears about fires.

Owners of large air-vented dryers and condensing dryers under the Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda brands may need to have them fixed.

Indesit said that excess fluff could catch the heating element in the machine and cause a fire.

It is recalling many dryers bought between April 2004 and October 2015.

Hotpoint
    Indesit
    Creda

http://safety.hotpoint.eu

-----------^

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

So I guess the manufacturers now just can't count on the common sense of the buyer to clean the filter?
    Should they just employ a gnome to accompany the dryer and clean it for the buyer if they're that dumb?

3. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Yeah but you shouldn't have to worry about a fire starting! Maybe it breaking down etc but if I'm being sold a dryer and some one said clean the filter or it will catch fire I'd probably look for someone selling one that said it'll just break.

4. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I have a Candy (which I hate) and I empty the filter every time, thing is I'm aware that it bypasses slightly and I worry that little bits of fluff might be getting caught up inside.

Not that I lose sleep over it.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

We ditched our dryer a while back, because it was horrifically expensive to run. I noticed a £15 a month drop in electricity bills once it was gone.

TBH, we could do with one, but the A+ rated models are all north of £500, and I'm not convinced by the energy efficiency claims anyway.

6. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I did some *** packet math when we were looking at getting one with our littun' taking up literally 3 out of every 4 washing loads with either clothes, nappies, or both. Still came out to 50p per cycle. Doing that 4 times a week to circumvent the need to dry clothes on radiators, just doesn't seem worth it along with the initial £500+ outlay.

7. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Ours bypasses it quite a bit, and is one of the Hotpoint models affected. It's never yet caught fire, and is 7 years old iirc, but we won't be leaving it on and toddling off to bed now!

8. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

What I like with the dryer is that it pumps the humid air directly outside, so there's no concern with condensation or damp.

That, and I can stick the bedding in and put it on the bed an hour later. How do you dry a duvet cover without one?

9. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Two Hangers and a radiator. Dries in about 2-3 hours.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

In the winter months, when we cannot dry anything on the line, there might be two or three loads a day, esp. with two school age kids. Tumble drying does reduce the amount of ironing required, which saves time, effort and will offset a little of the cost, but £500+ is still a bitter pill to swallow - especially when you can get category B big brand vented models for a third of the price, and B-rated condensers for half the price.

I seriously doubt the savings between A and B rated models are all that great.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I ran the numbers and the expensive efficient units are barely worth it, and that's assuming they don't fail in the ten year period.

I went with the most basic vented design as it gets rid of the moisture directly. Add about £20 to the cost to drill through the wall and it makes winter a lot less of a faff.

12. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Problem with drying clothes on a radiator is mould spores.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

And the other problem is having clothes draped over your radiators all over the house

14. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Geez, I was really worried, then I noticed that my tumble drier isn't affected.

15. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well, I've been living without a tumbledryer for the past 15 years and I've never had an occurrence of my t-shirts growing fungi, so I think i'll be fine just now :D