1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh god. We've entered the dark place.

2. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

SSShhhhhhhh.... They may notice we are here too........

3. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

[​IMG]

There is no escape now.

4. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

Looking forward to trying the Beta tonight when I get home, will update you guys after I've tried it for a bit.

5. Parge

I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. I’ve only got about 1M Credits so I’m better off spending my time in the main game, rather than playing the beta. Its probably only 3 weeks or so away from full launch anyway so no biggie – might even have a VR headset by then too!

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I couldn't download the beta last night but managed to this morning as the download speeds were decent enough to get it in less than 7 hours.

Saw my dad playing it this morning a little bit before he went to work and the frame rate plummeted to around 7fps on a 2Gb GTX680 SLI setup, will see what its like later on my 780Ti SLI setup.

It looks fun though.

7. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

I had Beta 64 bit running without issue on a single 970 this afternoon.

8. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well, I'm about 3-4 hours in after finishing most the training, and now I have no idea what the F*CK I'm doing...

I think this game may be a little freeform for it's own good.
    So, I guess I just fly about blowing stuff up and looting the dead husks of ships?

9. Parge

You are Han Solo.

You make your own story.

10. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah but if you were han solo you would also have other fun things to do.

Currently it all boils down to Docking Simulator and Jump Simulator 2015.

PVP combat spices things up a bit but trading, moving the same resources between systems is very dull, as is belt ratting. I'm not even convinced the trade model works very well. Every system I have ever visited has very similar setups resource wise. You only do these activities to get money, not because they are fun for any length of time particularly.

Elite really does have poor longevity in that respect, I think you have to really want to experience the pricey ships to put up with the poorly balanced grind. From the frontier previews, I can't see how planets will change that? landing on and exploring planets will become like docking or trading in no time, boring and repetitive.

I had fun with it for a bit but don't envisage many re-visits, which is a shame.

11. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well, I think I get it.

Just started flying about last night and picked up a mission to get some explosive cylinders or something.
    No idea where to find them as it just said 'doesn't matter where you get them from...', so I flew off to a conflict zone and got into a sizeable battle between two sides that I can't remember the name of.

Picked a side and started blowing up ships all over the shop with my pea-shooter pulse lasers. Between jinking through giant cruisers and picking off enemies, it was an awful lot of fun. Cleared the area in about 30 minutes, but then nothing.

No thanks, no messages, no nothing. Just off I go in search of these blasted explosives...

It all seems a little disjointed. Maybe I'm expecting too much of the AI (I'm playing single player at the moment), or if there's any at all?

Still, pretty fun stuff.

12. Parge

I haven't traded a single ton of any kind of goods at all!

I'm playing as a bounty hunter! I only take bounty hunting missions that pay well. I've got a interdictor so I can pull people out of hyperspace, and a friend and I jump from system to system hunting down the best Hazardous Resource Extraction points we can find. Taking on bigger and bigger wings of ships amongst the slowly tumbling asteroids or in a compromised nav beacon in front of a star is a huge thrill.

We're both busy this week, but over Xmas, we're going to start interdicting players, demanding payment and making a name for ourselves. I just need to pick up a decent cargo scanner from somewhere.

The game is what you make of it.

13. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Yeah I Freedom Fight, fought Feds for an independent lugh (changed from fed controlled to independent system) :clap:

I work with a couple of different groups who fight/trade for various causes and groups. :rock:

I have flown in battle with the glorious Mercs of Mikunn :rock:

The community forum is a good place to checkout groups and also get involved in community goals (working for or against)

Must admit I love a good WAR with Capital ships etc

[​IMG]

And if your good at it and becomes worth the effort, you could end up on a kill on sight list lol

with that in mind & just in case I will apologize now (nb i don't run them but i have been known to collect a few)

Last edited: 3 Dec 2015
  14. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

You will make a name for yourself alright, that name will be Target.

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I hear what your saying Parge but I have been there, done that, it was fun for a bit but even that suffers from repetition after short time. I think this is one of those games where people with a high tolerance for repetition and where the freedom to 'make of it what you will' will appeal to people, they will get a lot out of it. If however you want more structure or interesting variety, it may not be for many others. Out of the 6 of us who bought into the Beta, only 1 is still playing and fairly infrequently compared to before.

I stand by my take on it, that the games structure is so poor, that the effort and time required scales very poorly with the reward once you starting climbing up the ship tiers/cost. Between goods trading, missions for trade, factions missions, assassin missions, bounty hunting, mining, exploring none of it scales well to the cost vs time of advancement.

The game reminds me of its creator, clearly quite smart but not very entertaining.

16. Parge

Absolutely fair enough mate!

Chris Roberts is entertaining AND smart - hopefully that means Star Citizen will be the same! :thumb:

17. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Steady on now, still plenty of time to lynch Roberts for broken promises and missed expectations!

I certainly hope SC has both freedom and exciting structure but who really knows, even with the mini PU.
    I certainly won't be expecting to pay £50 to explore planets :p

I had fun with Elite, back in the heady days of the viper and cobra! I just don't find it fun any more, not from, burnout by over playing but for the reasons already discussed. Don't get me wrong, I find that slightly disappointing, I did back it at beta after-all and had high hopes. I have rarely experienced such a loss in appetite for a game and it's definitely down to how Elite is Structured, which is not to my personal preference.

18. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

With the height of expectation, the hype, and the funding that SC has received, it can't help but fail in some aspects.
    What they might be? Time will tell, but there will be failures somewhere.

Anyway, I've read some wiki's because I've cleared my workload, so I think i'll trade in my pulse lasers and go trading for a bit. Get me some moolah, then head into the pirating scene.

AAARRRRRR!!!!

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

The Lugh war's outcome was pre-determined. Federal pilots completely rofl-stomped the independents, beating their (identical) goals a week before the independents.

When the independent pilots eventually got to the top of their trade and combat goals ED declared them victorious anyway.

But the real victor was me, I fought for both sides and made a lot of money out of it.

20. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

erm down boy!!

That's bordering on requesting a signed thong statement Tom :worried: