1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Asetek demands AMD cease Radeon R9 Fury X sales

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 7 Dec 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

How is this AMD's problem though? If its a coolmaster product that is violating the patent then isn't coolmaster still responsible? Shouldn't AMD just go back to coolmaster and tell them to sort it out?

If this is the case then cant Asetek just start sending cease and desist letters to places like overlcockers/scan/aria because their PC's contain the same GFX card and that component contains the coolmaster cooler?

if I was AMD I would change the cooler and put the bill to coolmaster.

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I'd imagine AMD will view this as the patent troll tactic that it is and their response will be "eff right off".

4. iggy

iggy Minimodder

i'm amazed aseteks patents even hold water.

5. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

[​IMG]

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Seems like everyone in this situation is an idiot - Asetek for thinking AMD should be solely responsible (and for thinking anyone is going to support their products if they keep bullying companies), AMD for trusting Cooler Master that their cooler was problem-free, and Cooler Master for not learning to stop infringing on patents.

@thom804
    lol that made my morning

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I could be mistaken but i think it's just a tactic to put pressure on CM, from my understanding they haven't paid a penny to Asetek in royalties.

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Asetek aren't quite a patent troll because they make something, and therefore use their rights. A patent troll is an 'NPE'.

Asetek are just being aggressive, and are using their rights (however strong, I haven't read them or indeed done a validity analysis*) to try to strongarm some money. I suspect AMD might give them short shrift, but who knows.

*I was hardly going to do it for free now, was I?

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I suspect that AMD and CM may well be playing pass-the-buck here, and telling Asetek to speak to the other party to get their royalties. If so, then Asetek are just leaning on AMD a bit harder (and presumably doing the same to CM) in order to ensure that they get their money, which seems entirely fair to me, tbh.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Switch to fitting Corsair H80i instead of CM Seidon, no more patent worries!

11. rollo

rollo Modder

That's not how the patent world works lol. Or you would see a lot better products.

12. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Wow. Just wow. The ignorance in this post is incredible ;)

If there was no prior art that disclosed all of those features in combination, at the filing date, and it was considered by the notional skilled person at the time as being 'inventive', then there you go. Patentable.

13. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think the most important thing I've learned from this article today is that the ASE of Asetek are the inventor's initials.

André Sloth Eriksen.

I want Sloth to be my real middle name. And if I'm not geek enough because I didn't already know this fact, I'm OK with that.

14. burningsky25

burningsky25 What's a Dremel?

Well you know, we could all just go around saying the others posts are moronic, or we could actually have a rational discussion about the subject in question. If the ideas presented are so simplistic and easily rejected, why not actually give a thorough response instead of just brushing them off? I don't know a lot about the details of patents, but I'd actually be interested in knowing why someone could, from the sounds of it, patent every all-in-one liquid cooling system ever made when it seems like a fairly general idea. Unless of course the details of patenting get too detailed and complex to be meaningfully explained in a thread such as this.

15. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I agree... Someone should look up and read about Marconi's original 'Wireless Telegraph' patent.

16. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

What seems odd to me is that no one incorporated a pump within the CPU block before, it just seems like something that would have been done before Asetek filed their patent.

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

the previous `all in one` kits had the pump within the reservoir ; but its the changing of the words from submission to the granting which has irked a lot of people:

Their first patent application mentions a “graphics card thermal interposer” but fails to mention any innovations such as microchannels, which didn’t exist at that time but is mentioned in this granted patent filing. In fact, the actual patent that was granted changes the language to “Thermal interposer liquid cooling system” and includes both liquid cooling systems and cold plate assemblies.

18. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm gonna patent the "Patent infringment". Now everyone infringing a patent will owe me royalties !

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

you cant patent that, you would have to copyright it

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Cue the "Pirates!" monkey on this one again... :)

But what you probably didn't know is that, in this context, "Sloth" means something completely different. In a way it's an oldfashioned way of writing "castle" in Danish (the "modern" way would be "slot").