1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrading 8800GT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Headspark, 16 Dec 2015.

1. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Hello all,

I have a GT 8800 at the moment which is obviously failing miserably at playing anything at any decent settings at the moment. Can anyone suggest an upgrade for PCI-E 2.0 that would allow me to play modern warfare at decent settings. I am now totally out of touch with all the changes since I was last hardware shopping!

Thanks

2. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

first of all we need to know your full spec of your computer and your budget.

Would be a waste of time recommending something that RRP's at £200 if you cant afford it or even power it. Also knowing the rest of the system gives up an idea of how powerful the card could be, no point slapping in a 980 ti with a C2D E6600

3. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

I have a c2d E6600 - Im looking to spend around £50 - £80 and ideally a scilent solution, my PSU will be find to support anything I can throw at it.
    My system is water cooled so a water cooled card would be great, I dont mind second hand, I just want to drag the beast a little further into the future as its made it to the living room so I can play steam games on

4. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

core 2 duo...
    oh my, build from scratch i think an AMD APU might be getting close to performance with your current set up

but here is a bump at least

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

No offence, but this isn't the most helpful post of all time. The guy has a budget of £50 to £80 so why would he go for a complete system rebuild? An E6600 isn't the most modern CPU out there but it's still capable enough if given a decent overclock (and given that the OP says that it's under water, I'd imagine he's overclocking the nuts off it :D). My advice to the OP would be to keep an eye out in the BT marketplace as he should be able to pick up a decent second-hand GPU for £50 to £80.

Don't think a watercooled card will be an option unless you get very lucky.

6. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

thank you!

I'm tired of it sounding like a hoover after any length of time gaming...

7. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

I can't really spend any more cash than stated, I just want to bring it a little further out of the dark ages!!

8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

bawjaws speaketh the truth. Suggesting a full rebuild seems a bit silly to me, too!

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I reckon you could get a 660 or equivalent from the MP well within the top end of your budget, and that would be a good match for your CPU.

What resolution are you gaming at, as a matter of interest?

10. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I've got an AMD 7870 kicking about that's just nearly a couple of years old at this point. It still works perfectly and could give you the boost you need. (it does require 8+6 pin connectors from your PSU)

11. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Only trouble with a 660 is that you'll never watercool it as blocks are like hens teeth. Good thing though is they're not too loud, stock cooler can get a bit loud, but ones like the Gigabyte cards are pretty quiet all the time.

Have just seen this on ebay though GTX 660ti with WC block at £35 at the moment but reserve not met.

There's also a EVGA GTX580 with block on ebay at £80 buy it now too.

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Whilst I wouldn't cry "NEW RIG ! NEW RIG!" I would suggest trying to track down a Q6600 or 6700 whilst you are at it.

I bought a Pentium K a while back and in modern games it was quite evident that two cores are not enough any more. For an extra £10-£20 it's definitely worth throwing in a quad core whilst you are there :)

Mind you I could be taking for granted that you even want to run anything remotely modern.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Tbf, I did say earlier that water cooling probably wasn't going to be on the cards (if you'll pardon the pun :D)

14. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just thought I'd point out that the 660 is probably the worst card to pick if there's a remote chance he'd want to watercool it, especially when there's slightly older cards which have more readily available blocks.

Also just seen a AMD 7970 with a full cover block on the bay for £10 atm.

I reckon with a bit of patience and searching a card with a waterblock already on should probably be possible at the higher end of the OPs budget.
    Wouldn't have thought so initially, but changed my mind after a little searching.

Coming from an 8800GT, almost anything is going to be a decent upgrade, :D

15. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

What mobo you have. I'm in the US but have a few old socket 775 cpus laying around and some gfx cards as well.

16. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

I have 2x gts 250's you could run in sli if that would help ya. Postage and they are yours. I have a qx6700 as well if your mobo supports it.

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Not much of an upgrade that is it.

As it's a 775 based system, I'd say it's most likely to not be an SLI mobo. I know there are 775 boards which supported SLI but I think the intel chipset boards were more common.

Last edited: 18 Dec 2015
  18. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

A q6700 would be a great help.

That and a 580GTX or similar would be light years ahead of what you have.

19. Headspark

Headspark Minimodder

Thanks for all your advice!

20. teacherboy

teacherboy Part Carbon/Nylon/Bovine

I have gtx480 with an arctic accelero extreme cooler that will be coming onto the marketplace after crimble when my new card goes in - no price as yet as I don't know what they are worth - I can split into just the card and original cooler if you're interested and want to put it under water.