1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Marvin the Mac Pro 12.9.15

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Marquee, 4 Dec 2015.

1. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

[​IMG]

Introduction:

As you might already know I really like the look and design of the Mac Pro cases from 2006-2010. My last build focused on over the top water cooling. This time I plan on fixing all the issues and things that have been bothering me ever since. In this build I will be focusing on hiding the wires and creating a super clean interior. The colour scheme will be white and black with accent of either green or blue not sure yet on that. My main inspiration is Marvin the Paranoid Robot from Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy and the Anit-Mac renderings by Roboduck. Oh one last thing this will be using rigid tubing. Big Thanks Goes out to David from Thelaserhive.com. On my last build he sent me two matx conversion kits for Mac Pro. This project would not be possible without him. Thanks

Spec:

CPU: Xeon 1650 v3

Mobo: ? mATX

Ram:?

GPU:?

Harddrives:?

PSU: Corsair RM 850

Worklog History:

12.4.15 Taking apart the case, PSU mounting, Hot swap confirmation

12.9.15 Mounting Bracket for Pump to rad, fittings, sneak peak

12.21.15 Front Panel Bending, Xeon ordered

First thing to do is take apart the case and cut a hole for the PSU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to file this down.
    [​IMG]

Then I tapped the mounting holes.
    [​IMG]

PSU is now mounted. Cutting a whole for the PSU now allows me to get to screws to take apart the whole case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the case is taken apart I can start working on the SATA ports. The Mac Pro used hot swap SATA port which I like so I used hot swap kit off a Corisair case.

[​IMG]

Old SAS cable vs new SATA hot swap cable
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 22 Dec 2015
  2. Derick

Derick Senpai Studios

Woo more Macs!

3. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Dude please change the size of your pictures. Put less next to eachother please.

4. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

/\I have updated the pics as requested. Also more details on how I mounted the PSU.

I have been working on how to mount the PUMP and res for a while and that is what this update is about. But first the money shot of first round of fittings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has to do with future update.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I went with the DDC pump. But upgraded. White res top, black aqua pipe, black anti cyclone and white heatsink. Also used EK anti vibration mounts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to get to the hear of this update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got some acrylic bits for this build. Learned my lesson from the last build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sanding the slots down. I am sorry there not perfect but I only have hand tools.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On this build I have started using thicker pieces of arcylic. So bending was not as easy and also not as perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It toke me also 1 hour to mount the bracket to the rest. The new acrylic I am using is thicker so I had no 6-32 screw that was long enough. I wish I had one of those mnpctech rulers today. In the end I was able to use a longer screw with a nut as a spacer for now. Need to get some screws for the rest of the build any way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that is all for now. Here is something to keep you till the next time.

[​IMG]

5. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Cheers for the different photos :)

Looking good :)

6. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

So just a small update this time. Worked on bending the front panel of the case; First attempt went horribly wrong, second time around got a hand from my wife and now I am happier with the result.
    Also won my bid for an Intel Xeon E5 1650v3, so no more 5930k.

So first off I had to chop some of the length off, file down and sand.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then, using the case as a jig, I heated the sheet and bent it around. Clamped down and let it cool for 30 mins and then did the other side.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see now it's really shaping up. Also I think this rad grill will look amazing at the end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also picked up some acrylic tubing for peanuts at the plastic store. 6 feet of 16mm was $6.

[​IMG]