1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Apple G5 ATX conversion - by S7 Design

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by S7design, 23 Dec 2015.

1. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Hello guys,

Want to share with you my latest project. This project has been just finished, but with the shear lack of time was not able do the build log in the daily update style as I did with my Raised from the dead project, but any ways bear with me, as the project did turn out rather well :) So lets go:

This is my interpretation of a Apple G5 case mod, turning the Apple G5 case to accept a ATX format motherboard. In this case a friend of mine had a rather beat up G5 case and wanted me to fix it up and install his mATX based PC inside. He wanted to keep the outside of the case as original as possible and to run everything on air, so there was not so much room for any mayor mods.

Before he asked me to do this i did not even know that such things were made and after looking at some done projects on line, decided to accept the challenge, and plus im not the worlds greatest apple fan so Apple case + Dremel = FUN :) And fun it was :D

[​IMG]

My first priority was to make the cover for the back and to get a mobo tray. A old PC came in aid as it had a awesomely big mobo tray that was riveted to the PCIE slots and I/O opening so took out all the positioning issue for me.

[​IMG]

and for the back cover a piece of cardboard came in handy to measure out the dimensions and the cut outs correctly

[​IMG]

2. S7design

S7design Minimodder

as my CNC was still not up and running at the time had to sent the back plate out to a company to have it done. I thought they will mill it but they had it laser cut so it came out even nicer then i imagined it would, and fitted on like a glove. The cardboard cut out did its job :)

[​IMG]

and then the most satisfying part of the entire build came. Taking the Dremel to the Apple :) of the good times I had with that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the next step seem the most tricky in the entire operation of the conversion. Did some research how other mods were done, and saw some people taking off the original mobo hold and the gluing other to the bottom of the mobo tray and to the case. I then decided to take a different approach and to use up the existing ones. i used the taller of the mounts. And printed out 2.5 cm tall spacers that would also then give me space at the back of the mobo tray to hide away some wires, as other wise cabling would be all over the place.

[​IMG]

and the other thing that was a issue was how to drill the exact hole in the mobo tray that they line up to the mobo mounts. i guess measuring would be a option :) but i decided to go a different way. I put the 3D printed stand off on the mobo mounts, put super glue on top of them, and then put the mobo tray on top of that, left it for 30 min, took it out tray took a drill and drilled true stand off and got the exact hole i needed :D

[​IMG]

and test fitted it immediately to see the result

[​IMG]

3. twister7800gtx

twister7800gtx Minimodder

Great idea!

4. S7design

S7design Minimodder

PS, just checked out your mods, and they are totally awesome!! Really great job on them. I have to get my CNC up and running and to start on my own water paths :D

5. S7design

S7design Minimodder

The next step was to find a spot for the PSU and to get the power to it. Decided to put it down in front.

[​IMG]

Took a IN plug from a old PSU to make a internal extension for the PSU, so that the PC could be carried around with no wires hanging out of the back. Designed a mount around the plug and 3D printed it. The funnies thing was that the holes on the mount and the original holes on the case miraculously lined up, i really did not measure it out, in worst case my plan was to drill out hole and use a washer on the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut up a power cable that had a 90 degree plug at one side, that allowed for a snug fit of the power cable that had to go around the PSU, and pit the IN plug at the other side.

[​IMG]

for a finishing touch to the back side printed out some 8cm fan grills

[​IMG]

6. S7design

S7design Minimodder

Made a bracket that bolts onto the PSU and has mounts for the fan assembly. The fan’s will draw in air in into the case. I like to call this the S7 AIO :) I got comments that this design will draw in only hot air from the PSU and heat up the system, but it dose no, as this is already done and PC in daily use there are no higher temps at all in the case. Also the wiring of the fans was a journey in it self as why oh why do these fans need 2 power inputs…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the final layout for the inside. 2 SSD mounts that will hang on the mobo tray, the disk cage up top. The system used a mATX and allows for such a layout, a ATX format would need some changes to be made to the design. Everything is sorted now and ready for the paint job.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The case was not in the best shape and state when i got it and in keeping with the original theme, have just painted the case in the colour closes to the original. But first things first :) getting the logo of the sides, one of the more satisfying things that i have ever done ( sorry apple fans)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

first the lighter colour went on the case and all the components inside to give a nice even finish on all the parts

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next step was to mark of the center of the case and the side panel, to place the cut out of the apple logo and to spray it back on before applying the clear matt lacquer top coat

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the apple came out looking good, almost original :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A wicked optical illusion when both fan grills are put one on top of each other

[​IMG]

The case is now ready to receive its internals

[​IMG]

after 3 weeks of wait finally the original apple front panel to ATX plugs cable arrived and testing it to see if all of those ports work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and the final result with all the hardware installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. iam2big2fail

iam2big2fail What's a Dremel?

FYI The Laser Hive has a full conversion kit with support for ATX PSUs.

8. S7design

S7design Minimodder

yeah but where's the fun in that :eyebrow: