1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows A Beginers guide to setting up mIRC

Discussion in 'Software' started by Forsaken, 23 Jun 2002.

1. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

damn straight that all you need is trillian and mirc. BTW does anybody know what happend to polaris irc? mine says the update was due jan 1st 2002 and im still running the old one.

2. RTT

RTT #parp

mirc + msn == :cooldude:

Trillian == :nono:

3. jcoquillon

jcoquillon What's a Dremel?

Glad to see someone had his head screwed on right :)

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

nothign is wrong with trillian except the IRC but i dont use that.

5. jcoquillon

jcoquillon What's a Dremel?

But IRC is the only chat application worth using if you're only going to use one so strart using it and forget that trillian rubbish

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

hmm can IRC send messages to my friends on yahoo, msn or aim? i dont think so. also i have trillian configed to tell me when i get new mail and i even got it to work with rss feeds. i also love to skin my trillian to match my theme

7. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

yea but i have lots of noob friends that cant use IRC :p
    but they can use msn, but i despise messenger for the crappy program it is, and use trillian for msn
    also the fact that i can rename contacts is so cool
    means i dont have to try and decode names before working out who people are :nono:

8. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

i love that feature. the only problem is when i reformated i lost all the renames so now i dont know who the hell is who. lol.

9. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

just copy your buddy.xml over when you format :)

10. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

i would of but you know how those things that happen at random that make you say "Oh **** my windows got corupted" then you have to reformat or at least reinstall.

11. Spiral Architect

Spiral Architect Cooked on Phonics

Does that room get quite active? May have to check it out one day.

12. TX297

TX297 Hey guys have you heard of seenly?

A Trillian IRC tutorial

A Trillian IRC tutorial
    This one's for you, Morphine

IRC for Trillian was really hard for me to set up, especially since I was an IRC newbie at the time. I have both Trillian and mIRC on my computer. I use mIRC to run my bot, Strela, and I use Trillian for IRC when I'm just poodling about and don't want that glaring white screen in my face :D

Anyway, on with the tutorial.

[​IMG]
    Your bog standard Trillian window. You'll notice I already hvae 2 IRC connections set up (I'm sure mIRC does multiple connections too, but I find Trillian's easier to handle). I'm not here to fight Trillian vs. mIRC, but I respect each one for the features and use whichever one I'm in the mood for. mIRC is easier to hide when you're on channels with its tray icon hiding.

[​IMG]
    Click the little grey IRC icon in Trillian and press "connection manager"

[​IMG]
    You will be met with this screen. Trillian already has quakenet loaded in the left if you want to scroll down and find it. If you do that, you can remove the "eu." which Trillian puts there but default. You can also press "add" and define your own server in there. Then put in your nick, alternate nick, username (the part before the @), and user information (I think this is e-mail address in mIRC - make sure this matches your username for problem-free quakenetting). You can also enable ident but I don't reccomend it as ident in Trillian sucks.

[​IMG]
    After you've done all that, hit connect and that window will disappear. Trillian will now connect to quakenet.

[​IMG]
    To see the status window, where you can type raw commands, click the (now filled) grey circle, go to irc.quakenet.org and then click on "Toggle status window".

[​IMG]
    Default mode is +i. You can change this by messing with Trillian's IRC settings (Preferences -> IRC). You can type raw commands in the white box there at he bottom, such as your Q auth or to join a channel.

[​IMG]
    To join a channel you can either type /join #channel (or /j #channel) into he status window, or use Trillian's "join channel" dialogue.

[​IMG]
    This pretty much speaks for itself. Simple, eh?

[​IMG]
    You're now in the channel! You can fullscreen this if you want.

There are a few bugs with Trillian and IRC. Sometimes it gets laggy, IRC doesn't like skins, and sometimes the colors get all mashed up.

Have fun,
    -TX297

Last edited: 29 Feb 2004
  13. TechMage

TechMage What's a Dremel?

i use to have Little Star script for mIRC and it had a wonderful text to speech client built into it. Anyone know how to do with this with current eddition of mIRC? as in tie in the built in win2k voice synthesizer so it only says stuff in private msg windows rather then try and read the whole site?

14. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

I like NNS, only discovered it yesterday. It does lots of @ tasks for you (appart from caps ban and a few other things). The colours take some getting use to (thanks to kammy (i think) for the mIRC skin)

The feature i like the most is the bublle you get when someone mentions your name. Ive been browsing web pages and its poped up, because someone wanted me, if i didnt have it i wouldnt have known they wanted me.

Also, I use NNS(mIRC), msn, icq, yahoo, aim (not so much these days). There is a reason behind it (i think)

15. xckid082488

xckid082488 Banned

yes it did help alot

16. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

first off, thanks for the mIRC guide, led me to understand exactly what IRC is...:blush:. second, how about:
    AIM + MSN + Trillian=:nono:
    Gaim=:thumb:

17. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Actually Trillian IRC has gotten alot better. I had used it as a temporary IRC while i reformatted my rigs and it did a good job. None of the past bugs where easily found.

18. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

:thumb:

19. Soulfly22583

Soulfly22583 What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to connect mIRC to two servers at once? Say i want to chat with everyone on the bit-tech channel on quakenet... but i wanted to talk to some other friends over on slashnet.... can this be done?

20. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Yes. just go to the menu to pick a server, and there is a tick box that says new server window.

Tags: