1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need you're opinion!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jibrevolution, 23 Aug 2003.

1. jibrevolution

jibrevolution What's a Dremel?

Alright, I have a problem here, as some of you may know the lian li PC-50 has a sideways mounted power supply :-/, is the only draw back to the case but effects the size of the heatsink/fan you can have. So right now i have a generic HSF inside a case with minimum airflow, and i went out and bought the Coolermaster areo 7 (WAY to big) and a thermaltake HSF (still too big) I have about 50 MM of hieght to fit a heatsink, AND FAN... so thats why I came here, i need you're opinions on what HSF i should get that will fit these standards, i dont care how much it cost, i just need it to do the job, this generic HSF isn't doing it and i need this thing COLD. thanks!

EDIT: My proc is an amd athlon xp 2600 (this thing runs HOT)

Last edited: 23 Aug 2003
  2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

a waterblock would fit nicely within 50mm

other than that, i wouldnt know what to suggest, even if you do find one that is 50mm high you need a reasonable amount of clearance for the fan,
    what you could try to do is get a large heatsink, one that will only just fit in the 50mm and the put a fan on one side of it and make a duct around it, not entirely sure how well that would work though

3. whypick1

whypick1 The über-Pick

Find a copper 1U heatsink. They're easilly less than 40mm tall, so it shouldn't cause a problem with the PSU.

4. Rav

Rav What's a Dremel?

Or two fans, one either side.

5. Mister_Tad

prometia, with a lian li casing, that would keep it *COLD* and fit in the 50mm and go with the case.

:D

6. jibrevolution

well, i need it to be 50 MM includding the heatsink AND fan, and it can be exactly 50 mm (thats gives about 25 mm clearense untill the PSU hits, but the psu has a fan right above the hsf so airflow wont be a problem if i get a good one.) and as for water cooling, i dont know if i could fit water cooling into this lian li pc 50, and i dont know a thing about it, plus i dont have the money for that. (if i did have the money, of course i would think about it) so you guys think i should just get a copper heatsink w/ no fan? does anyone have any links too specific hsf's? thanks for the help so far!

7. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

don't EVEN think about putting a heatsink without a fan... you'll fry your cpu....

1u cooper heatsinks looks like that http://www.compute-aid.com/1uhsfan.html they'll fit... but you better keep your heatsink since it's gonna run VERY hot with a 1u heatsink...

try your friend google ;)

edit: btw, what temps do you get with your stock heatsink? if you got below 60C on full load and you aren't overclocking, you,re ok.

8. jibrevolution

actually im underclocking untill i get a new HSF, so wait, you want me to get this new 1u HSF but want me to keep my old one because the 1U isnt good? I need one that IS good (good enough to let me burn the generic pos) hehe

9. Mister_Tad

i wouldnt recommend a 1u heatsink for a 2600+ at all because, as tribal dragon said, hot hot hot,

just stick with the stock one as it cools it enough, you just wont have any room to overclock

also how many case fans are you running? because if sort out the airflow in the case to where ther is always air moving through it can do wonders for your temps

10. Tribal Dragon

that's what I've said... a 1u hts would fit... but wouldn't cool a 2600+ effectively...

as Mistar_tad said, keep your stock hts. You don't need to underclock it unless you get near or over 70 full load (which is border line)... you won't have room for overclocking but that is to be expected with a vertical psu... even with a mcx462+ you would have high temps.... I had a P3 with a vertical psu and it was overheating... but thx to the intel heat proof, my cpu was saved countless times... idle I had 58C and over 65 on full load and when I bought a generic case to put the p3 setup in it, temps drop to 38C idle and 45 ful load...

you got 3 choices if you want a cool cpu...

1- watercooling
    2- getting another case with a horizontal psu
    3- put the psu elsewhere

other than that, you're stock with high temps...

11. geek1017

geek1017 What's a Dremel?

Could you reverse the fan on the heatsink so that the psu fan was drawing in hot air directly from the sink?
    Or even remove the small stock fan and use some skillful ducting to the 80mm psu fan?

Just a thought.

12. jibrevolution

well i dont think those are my 3 options, and i think "sticking with my stock HSF" is giving up, and im not GOING to give up by underclocking... and no i can't keep it at its normal speed or it crashes due to temps.. (ive tried it) this is not the retail amd hsf, its a compusa pos. I think the problem would by simply solved by finding a 50 mm high qaulity hsf, if they dont make those i guess ill resort to water cooling as moving the psu is not an option, and finding a new case is not an option due to money etc... ive put well over $250+ into this case and im not going too "find a new one" just because the hsf is a pos. thanks for the help so far but if anyone can still find a good 50 mm high hsf it would kick ass, thanks

13. olv

olv he's so bright

GlobalWin CBK58 Cooler is 50mm and supports up to xp2600+

link

i dont know where u can buy it in the US though

14. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

You could get a PSU with 2 fans and swap out the internal one for something a bit more powerful and then get a fairly tall heatsink so the PSU fan is acting as a fan on the heatsink.

15. Mister_Tad

you could mod your psu, possibly put the fan in the actual casing of the psu so that it blows onto a heatsink, at least then you woul have a little more room to play with. also a top exhaust could effect temps quite a bit

16. Tribal Dragon

true and they even have 30mm hts and with the fan it's 40mm designed for up to 2600+

but even with one of those, temps will be high... but you should be able to clock the cpu at normal speed...

like I've said... vertical psu = high temps
    In my pIII setup, temps were 20C higher with the vertical psu...

I still wonder why they still make those...

anyways, your best bet is like olv suggested: globalwin small heatsink. Hope it's gonna work good for you ;)

17. jibrevolution

Hmmm wich one exactly is the one you guys are recomening? I see one buy the name but it says xp1900

18. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

How the hell does airflow work in that case? If you have a PSU with two fans, the bottom one is positioned so it's pulling air away from the CPU area...the same place that the CPU fan gets its air from to blow over the heatsink. Isn't that going to create problems anyway?

19. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

But you just flip over the CPU fan so it's sucking air through the heatsink instead of blowing onto it :p

20. Kameleon

Kameleon is watching you...

Ooh, that's another 5-10°C added to the CPU temperature right there :)