1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Alternatives to the Philips BDM4065UC...?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Multiplectic, 8 Dec 2015.

1. Multiplectic

Multiplectic His Stigness

Hey chaps!

Being so close to Xmas, I started looking for my present... :D
    I want a +40" 4K display (Either TV or monitor) to use it as a PC monitor. After much digging and reading and comparing and analysing and browsing, the BDM4065UC has almost won me over. Right now it's around £525 @ Amazon.
    This monitor would suit me right now because I don't have an HDMI 2.0 capable GPU, only DP 1.2.

But I know I should be a more rational buyer, so, I'm looking for other options before plunging in.
    Also, I'm kinda new to this "4K world", I might miss something here and there.

Any tips or recommendations?

Cheers! :D

2. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

3. Multiplectic

Mmmm... Cheaper! :D
    Will give that one a look, thanks!

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No Gsync or freesync.... not for me.

5. Multiplectic

Actually the Philips monitor has DP 1.2a, which would potentially point to Freesync support.
    I don't know much about the Iiyama, doing some research right now.

Anyway, I don't care about Free/GSync support. 60 FPS is enough for me.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's not why you need Free/Gsync. It's to cope with the crushing your GPU/S get at 4k and helps to smooth out the dips between 60 and 0 FPS.

I was initially running Gsync on two TBs and I must say the experience was pretty good. I then sacrificed it for a Fury X and now in some games I have to play with Vsync off because I only get 30 FPS max.

Are you sure you know what you are getting into here? I would say at a minimum you are going to need at least one 980ti or Fury X. That's if you want to play on medium-settings. Anything less and you may as well stick at a lower resolution.

4k takes serious, serious GPU power. More than many people realise.

The only regret I have about 4k is the worst, that it was too soon. I'm now sitting here waiting for GPU technology to catch up so I can play at a solid 60 FPS.

CPUs don't seem to matter too much because the work all goes onto the GPUs, but knowing the spec of your rig would help.

7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I shouldn't take part in any 4K/Philips monitor conversations, cause I bought it month ago and fell in love straight away, so my posts will be very much subjective:)

Only game that pulls my GTX980Ti to the 30s fps level is Witcher 3.
    Any other holds around 55+ fps, so if you have this kinda money and GTX980Ti - go for it, do not wait.
    Iiyama is out, £469 sounds awesome, but couldn't find any reviews or comments on it.

I will never go lower than 40", now when I tried it - it is the best monitor I had.
    4K looks owesome, details in games are super sharp etc, love it.
    Anyway, next year will bring new GPUs which will keep all games above 60fps in 4K, I'm sure, cause the only one that goes below is Witcher 3.
    I play this game with all settings in full and it never drops below 34fps, holding now at around 40-45fps most of the time. For me it's perfect.

8. Multiplectic

Mmm, I see your point. Doesn't really bother me, honestly.
    I'd rather lower some detail settings and get a smoother experience (It's cheaper! :hehe:)

Currently running a GTX690, patiently waiting for Pascal. :D
    Don't worry, I know I need LOADS of GPU powah to push those mighty ~8 MP.

3930K, 24 GB, and the aforementioned GTX690.

I hear ya. :D
    I've been using a 42" 1080p TV as monitor for the past ~8 months. I can't go back to puny <30" screens.
    Racing sims are AWESOME using such a large screen 4ft away.

---

Apparently there are a couple of nice threads at oc.uk forums about these 2 monitors. I'm reading them ATM.

9. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

10. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I would have a look at some of the curved 4K 40-48" UHDTVs they will have better scalers, just find one with good input lag, of course you will need a HDMI 2.0 GPU.

The Philips is great I have a few and use them many hours a day but due to viewing angles and flatness of screen there is some colour shift up close at the fringes, its minimal and only noticeable on a solid colour but rekon up close viewing is what curved screens are made for.

11. Multiplectic

Sadly, I don't have a HDMI 2.0 capable GPU atm. :(
    I yet have to see a curved TV in the flesh, but I'm not really convinced right now.

From what I've read so far, the Philips has a lot of QA/QC issues and therefore lots of RMA's, so I'm leaning towards the Iiyama.

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Can't imagine many people are pumping out 40" VA monitor screens so chances are the iiyama is running Philips (TPV) Panel with updated hardware, so peoples issues with that screen may likely remain.

Its profile and port location is a lot like the Philips too, suggests it's based off of similar hardware to me.

13. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Yep, I read on Hardforum that it is same panel, however it has hdmi 2.0 capable of 4K 60Hz.

14. Multiplectic

Yes, I think it's the same panel as well, but Iiyama could be using "A" grade panels, maybe. I haven't seen any major issues with the Iiyama.

15. Multiplectic

I went for the Iiyama. No regrets. AT ALL. :D

16. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Show us some photos of the screen, let us know your thoughts, how it works with games, colors etc.

17. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Sorry for bumping this back up, but for 4K owners with less-than-stellar GPU horsepower, is it possible / practical to "just" play at 1440p or 1080p and let the display scale?

I know that's hardly the point, but it strikes me as a possible compromise for 4K desktop work and <4K gaming, if necessary.

Has anyone tried it?

18. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

I've tried 4K, and now have moved to 1440p G-Sync. In short, the 4K is amazing, but I think the 144Hz and G-Sync makes a bigger difference.

As to your specific question, The_Pope, I've tried 1080p on my 28" 4K and it looked pretty awful. I know it shouldn't do, as it maps perfectly, but it just did.

I guess it might partly be that I really enjoy using high res screens, so even 1080p at 21.5" looks a bit chunky to me. I imagine that 1080p over a 28" would look pretty bloated, and I dread to think what it would look like on 40".

19. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

My 40in philips seems fine at 1440p the 1080p is just looks closer/zoomed in i do use a 970 though

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

on a smaller 4k screen 1080p should look fine, on the 40" Philips 1080p looks a bit ropey up close, but as I game with a controller I just sit back a couple of feet and its acceptable. (key word accpetable, not amazing)

I have not tried in between resolutions as I have the hardware to drive the screen so its mainly PS3/PS4 I play at lower resolutions, can't imagine a PC being worse that those as typically a lot of games barely managed 1080p.