1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Made a mistake with monitor...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Crossy, 30 Dec 2015.

1. Crossy

Crossy What's a Dremel?

Recently built a new PC, main purpose being for race sims with a other FPS, RPG games being occasional. Built it high spec so I shouldn't have to worry about upgrading for a while. Skylake 6600k, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb DDR4 2666, MSI TwinFrozr 980ti and a 500gb MX200 SSD. The PC itself is fantastic, really impressed with it, but I also bought a new monitor.......which is where I'm the most disappointed. I researched into the PC parts massively and made sure everything was spot on, but I must admit I didn't do as much on the monitor side of things and my 'bigger is better' head got the better of my brain.

I bought a BenQ BL3200PT 32" 2560 x 1440 (60Hz) My PC plays every game I've thrown at it at that res in max settings without any problems FPS wise. But oh my god, I never thought I was a serious enough gamer to worry about input lag and tearing etc but this thing is awful. Games are no fun at all. Vsync on or off it doesn't matter, its stuttery, ghosty and hurts your eyes. Not to mention the horrible vertical bands along the whole panel which make it look like a zebra crossing. I used to be pretty good online racing, since using this monitor I've lost 6 tenths a lap at least. I have come from a 22" Samsung Syncmaster which I bought back in 2008 and was using an AMD 4850 and it was much more enjoyable! Turns out it must have been pretty good!

I've rung overclockers who I bought the BenQ off and unfortunately I had it sat about for a few weeks unopened before I cracked it open and set it up and by the time I got round to playing games on it and noticed the banding the 30 days are up and they've told me I've got to go back to BenQ for an RMA. Nightmare but my mistake.

The question to you now is. I want a good monitor to complement the 980ti. Gonna have to cut my loses and just buy a new monitor and RMA the BL3200PT and sell it.

I don't want to go as big as 32", its too big for gaming in my opinion. So think 27" is going to be the size. I don't want to overspend but think 144Hz is the way to go?

Budget is circa £350

Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers

2. Dayaccus

Dayaccus What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't go for a 144Hz monitor, at least not on your budget. The reason is you can only buy monitors with TN panels with that amount of money, which are crap on colors and viewing angles. It's just not worth it in my opinion to take an technological outdated TN panel instead of getting much better IPS/PLS/VA panel, just to have 144Hz refresh rate.

Find yourself a nice 27" monitor with a Samsung PLS panel and you won't be disappointed. PLS in my opinion is better than IPS because it's having less backlight bleeding. I have a Samsung S24d590L monitor with PLS panel, with great viewing angles, no backlight bleeding and I even overclock it at 72Hz. For over an year is working great for both games and movies and I have no input lag at all.

3. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

4. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Whilst I agree in general with this, I wouldn't say TN panels are crap (I've seen good TN panels look better than entry level IPS panels). Nor would I recommend PLS over IPS as they tend to have slower response times.

Having said all that, the screen linked above seems pretty decent. I'd personally save a little bit more money and go 4K since you have a rig which would handle it, but that's just me.

5. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I think you should look into gsync. Just be warned that some vendors (Acer) have put out devices that look amazing on paper but have been poorly manufactured. So do a lot of research first.

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Every one should know Acer's game. High spec products made poorly for great prices. I wasn't expecting any more than I got with my 28" 4K2K Gsync screen. The screen is a bit crap, it has Gsync, stand is also a bit crap.

That ROG Dominator has turned my head now though. I'm getting sick of 4k so if going Fury X Crossfire isn't enough I will probably drop my res and get one of those Dominators.

8. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dell have usually always made great screens. Well, apart from the Ultrasharp on early serial numbers that were a bit iffy a few years ago. But usually their Ultrasharps are fine displays :)

10. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

My U2711 is a beautiful piece of kit no denying. But its not a good all rounder. If it does not live up to expectation i will send it back.

I do have high hopes of a lovely smooth panel in CSGO. I dont play triple A games if ever so im not going to be over picky about it. If its good for purpose i will be happy.

11. theshadow2001

Acer is the leader of the dodgy goods pack, but I've seen poor reports on some of the earlier Asus TN gsync panels as well.

Vendors are sending cherry picked units out to review sites. So really you need to find consumer opinion and experience on the new gen of gaming monitors.

12. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'd be happy to recommend Dell but it depends what you pay (e.g. never buy direct from Dell!). If you could stretch to £369 you'd be able to get a new Dell U2715H complete with their 3 year warranty.

My experience with my (second) U3014 has been mostly very good... currently I have a minor problem with the monitor choosing to go into power-save mode of its own accord, but other than that it has been absolutely perfect and it's a very high quality 30" screen.

I've been reluctant to recommend Dell in the past because their screens can often suffer from backlight bleed and other niggles (sometimes more serious panel issues like tints and lines), but when they work, they really work.

13. theshadow2001

I had a U2715H. It had backlight bleed. I rang dell, they said they could replace it but the replacement would be the same. So yeah.....

14. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

If it's "faulty" then your contract is with OCUK, not Benq. Read up on Distance Selling Act / Goods of Sale Act etc

The retailer is responsible. Your credit card company may be jointly responsible.

Take no prisoners :)

15. DIZZY DAZZLER 2010

DIZZY DAZZLER 2010 Tech nut!

Hi Not sure about your budget but I have just taken the plunge and got the ASUS ROG 279Q.........yes pretty expensive but coupled with my GTX980TI all I can say is fantastic!! I moved from a trusty Benq XL2720Z which was a very good TN panel (will have for sale on forum soon) so I agree given all that horsepower you have you do need minimum 144hz.

last night I switched my monitor from 144hz to 60hz and hello choppy gaming...no way I could go back to below 120hz. :thumb: