1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V GO PRO SD card

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mr Happy, 28 Dec 2015.

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hi all

OK, i got a GO PRO hero 3 silver for Xmas, i now need to buy a micro SD card before i can use it
    Can anyone recommend a good enough card for this? I get confused over the class of cards and don't want to buy something that will give poor quality in video or photo

Thank you

2. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

A class 10, basically the fastest of the SD cards.

Any decent brand should be fine.

3. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks, will check them out

4. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I think UHS U3 class cards are actually the fastest you can get these days, but you still pay a fair premium for them.

A fast Class 10/U1 card won't cost much more than a cheap one and will probably be absolutely fine though. Have a look at specs and Amazon reviews too because often they will include the actual speed in MB/s, which will vary even between cards that are in the same class.

This SanDisk made the most sense to me price-performance wise last time I looked: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-Android-microSDXC-Adapter-Version/dp/B013UDL58E/

5. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ace, thanks, at that price i might as well grab two or three so i have spares as i am not sure how much footage a 64gb will hold. I am planning on taking this to Florida in May so want to be prepared

**Just seen how much video a card holds according to Sandisk

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

faster the card the higher the quality of video you can record, some modes are not available unless you have a U3 on some cameras, couldn't say if that is the case for go pro.

7. Dayaccus

Dayaccus What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 29 Dec 2015
  8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

The wiki article I read did mention UHS but it said something about them requiring a compatible device, I thought they were going to be some odd-ball card with few devices supporting them, obviously they're not, :D.
    £13 for a 32GB UHS-3, not as bad as I thought it would be.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks everyone for the help

10. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

I got one of these and it failed within a month - became corrupted and couldn't recover any data off it. Ended up getting a refund from Amazon. If you can afford it, go for the PRO as they seem more reliable than the mid priced one.

Edit: Also appears to be a lot of fakes out there - think I probably got one tbh.

11. Dayaccus

Dayaccus What's a Dremel?

I have my Samsung EVO microSD card for one month as well as is working fine. You can't blame the original product if you got a fake one that failed on you. Buy one from amazon directly in the original package(avoid frustration free package) and not from other sellers and you can be sure is not fake.
    The performance is good, I've got 20 mb/s read/write in crystal disk mark.

12. Chairboy

Chairboy I want something good to die for...

I did get it direct from Amazon mate (original packaging etc), it seems as though they couldn't tell the difference either :)

There are some really convincing fakes out there apparently

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

My experience is that the battery life on the GoPro is much more of a limiting factor than the card size. I think I use an 8 GB and even with the battery bac-pac the battery is dead long before the card is full.