1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Overclockers UK hits eight more Game stores

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jan 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Ooooooh my local GAME is the Teesside Park one. I'll have to check this out to see if it's worth getting around postage :)

3. The Infamous Mr D

The Infamous Mr D Minimodder

I've seen the display in the Basingstoke store & it is quite appealing, I have to say. While not for the ardent gamers that frequent this site, it certainly makes Joe Public more aware of what PC gaming hardware is all about as well as making it look damn sexy in the process :)

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I remember buying my Voodoo 3 in Woolworths. Could this be a return to high end cards in the high street? I doubt it, but it's nice to see a re-entry into the marketplace.

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Chester is my local one! It'll save me trogging up to Bolton whenever I need decent parts, maybe.
    I wonder if they'll bring in "Click & Collect" - Order on line & pick up in store?

6. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

I'm surprised they're expanding. Didn't think people ordered from them anymore?

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Scan were a huge letdown for me on a large-ish purchase, so I went to Overclockers. Great service and the support guys are pretty sound too. I don't see why folk wouldn't order from there as an alternative.

8. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

OverClockers? They're one of the most used retailers for tech these days, I believe they recently won the vote for best computer store of 2015 by Kit Guru as well.

9. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I had a string of bad experiences with them, so personally I don't have any faith in them. I don't go around telling people not to use them, but I'd rather not buy from there if I can avoid it. Which largely I can.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

So the nearest one for me is the Metrocentre... not surprised it's that one [though *which one*, as iirc there's still more than one in there], but ewwwww Metrocentre....

11. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

I am on my fourth high end gaming rig from Overclockers, no complaints here.
    To be fair, i ordered one build from Scan and i too had customer service issues with them as well, it may have been just an isolated instance, but i haven't ordered since.
    The Teesside Park branch would be great for me too.
    I don't think Mrs Locknload will be very happy about it.

12. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

They used to be terrible over a decade ago and I stopped using them for years. But I had enough people say positive things about 5 years ago I gave them another try. They are without doubt the best out there now, I've had a couple of faulty products along the way and their customer service is excellent. They have had two takeovers since the dark days. Considering I used to boycott them, I think it says a lot about how they have changed things around.

13. VaLkyR-Assassin

VaLkyR-Assassin Minimodder

I had a bad experience with Overclockers a few years back (who didn't even acknowledge some of my emails and left me waiting for one item for well over a month, despite the rest of the order arriving ok) and haven't used them since; higher prices don't help their cause either. On the other hand, I have nothing but praise for Scan, who went out of their way to be helpful to me, so it can work the other way round.

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I haven't really had issues with either store (well not in recent memory anyway) but I must say that a recent RMA experience with Scan has been very positive. They really went above and beyond by supplying a brand new 970 Strix as a replacement for a 780 that died technically out of warranty. We are talking 1-2 days out of warranty but the manufacturer (Palit) essentially washed their hands of the matter.

Pushing PC gaming is a nice idea but I don't know whether this approach is the correct one. Mind you I don't particularly hold GAME in a high regard so that is perhaps clouding my judgement. All I do remember from the scheme is that the entry level system costs IIRC £499 and sports a A10 7870k with no dedicated GPU.

15. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

OCUK outlet at Portsmouth Gun Wharf, with erm, Novatech 15 mins drive away, could be an interesting result.
    Novatech is only a 10min walk for me though, so no brainer.

Sam