1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ST Nemesis on DVD

Discussion in 'General' started by micb, 14 Aug 2003.

1. micb

micb Minimodder

Yesterday rewatched Startrek Nemesis on DVD.

I quite enjoyed this film, good action scenes and story line.

Picture quality look great lovely sharp colours, The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound track was very clear, as soon as the battle begins when the enterprise is knocked out of warp the sound really goes up another notch, the bass impacts are extremely stong with continous pounding of weapons fire and some nice sweeps through the lower range.

A lot of people say that is the last TNG film, personaly I think it is a good ending of the TNG story, although the Before/B4 (Data brother) leaves a large oppernatunity for another.

Did you guys and gals like the film?

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Speaking as an avid Star Trek Fan, No. Why?
    • The space battle was ripped of from the Wrath of Kahn.
    • The dune buggy scene was inserted just because someone had a good idea for a stunt (the leap into the shuttle). Why would the Federation have a wheeled ground vehical when they have anti-grav tech?
    • Data's sacrifice was belittled by the cop ending with B4
    Plus - how many brothers has Data got? According to the series, there are only two Noonian androids - Data and Lore. No mention of other prototypes.

I won't be buying it - I already own the only decent ST:NG movie on DVD - First Contact.

3. micb

micb Minimodder

As an avid Star Trek fan I am surprised you did not click this, In a some ST episodes (Voyager/ DS9 and TNG) anti grav systems do not work in Hi Radiation/Interference areas, the planet is Nemesis had serious amount Interference because they could not use the Transporters. So no Transporters + no Anti Grav = use of the new wheeled vehicle.

Also the Data brothers scene at the end is obvoulsy a plot device for a sequal if they want to do one in the future.

I like Nemesis then First Contact, then in last position Insurrection which is not rated high in my book.

4. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

I 2nd that and I am a big fan myself but was extremely disapointed with the movie. If this is the last movie for the TNG what a way to go :miffed:

5. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

I really cannot see why avid fans are up in arms, it is a very good Star Trek film.

I really do wish they had extended it though and made it bloodier, with the schimitar descimating Federation colonies and a desperate chase and final annihilation. It felt a mite curtailed.

However the action sequences were sublime :)

6. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Thing is this film did rather well at the cinema and is selling well on DVD. Star Trek needed spicing up to start to recapture some of its audiences. If it means certainly trekies don't like, who cares, the movies are finally attracting an audience!

I do however believe the movies will speed along to 'Enterprise' as this has caught the imagnination of the public again after voyager.

PJ

7. cellis4766

cellis4766 What's a Dremel?

This probably will be the last STTNG film, I know someone on the inside, and getting everyone together for this film was like pulling teeth. It probably will not happen again. There were several disagreements over the script and some actual problems getting contracts signed (in fact, one of the principal characters had done all his on-camera shots before his final contract was signed.)

I personally would like to see some original Star Trek movies done - (I mean, not based on the series, just the same timeline, or minor characters...)... there is a lot that could be explored without committing to a series.

8. Bit-widow

Bit-widow What's a Dremel?

I saw the original film, haven't got the dvd yet but i don't really have enough money so will have to wait for a bit. I really liked the film, it was so nice to finally see Troi and Riker get together, i knew they had to eventually! I so did not see the Data thing coming my housemate said it was obvious from the beginning who was going to die but i really never thought it would be him! I cried for half an hour after it finished!

Don't know really what sort of trek film i would like to see next, I have been a huge fan of DS9 during th last 3 or 4 seasons, really has been fantastic and they could do a film with that which i think might draw together all the things that were going on but who knows, i though this "Enterprise" series would be bad but it has turned out pretty well.

9. Walibe

Walibe What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I so want him to leap though - lol.