1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Upgrade from 660 Ti

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perplekks45, 5 Jan 2016.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

As with everything, there's a risk. But - exercise caution and buy sensibly, and remember that not everyone is a crook or is out to get you.

In threads like this you often tend to pontificate your views fairly strongly, which could 'scare people off' - yes, in this case, there are definitely risks involved, but buying second hand PC gear (or any other tech for that matter) carries an element of risk. Hell, there's a potential risk buying and selling in our own small, but very brilliant, marketplace.

I guess all I (and the mods in general) are asking is for 'balanced' posting, without sensationalisation of things. We're rich in clever, interesting people, and also rich in people who perhaps lack a bit of confidence or general understanding. We're all here for the same purpose - to have fun, to share knowledge, and to geek out.

Please be encouraging, not adversarial. Ta!

2. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

I am encouraging OP, to look before they leap.

Nobody else is pointing out the pitfalls of Ebay, so it's wise to check the risks before buying into a deal that is too good to be true.

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

You're 'encouraging' the OP not to buy on eBay. That's not really pointing out the pitfalls, it's saying 'don't bother'!

4. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be fair, there's a much greater degree of protection for buyers than sellers on ebay - ebay will side with the buyer almost every time, so I'd not be too discouraged (although I do agree that caution is a good watchword when buying from the 'bay).

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

About the scariest thing I ever did was buy a 3970x on Ebay for £300.

The seller was as good as his word and it worked beautifully.

I seldom have many problems with buying on Ebay I just seem to be SOL when it comes to selling.

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Honestly you're probably better off nabbing a GTX 970 and then upgrading that i3 to an i5 3570k or 2500k.

If you're getting into 1440p a R9 390x might be within consideration, but it's all a bit weird with regards to timing.

A GTX970 and a 3570k would probably do a lot to make the PC faster though.

7. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Well...change of plan.

I will buy a used ASRock Z77 Extreme4 and a 3770K off my girlfriend's boss for 300-350 €. Apparently my girlfriend's will chip I'm so I can still somehow stay within my budget... or just slightly above it.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That is way more than that board is worth - you should be paying between 170-200 Euros for that.

Also, buying on ebay is absolutely fine. Its being a seller you have to worry about.

9. perplekks45

Given that I cannot seem to find a 3770K alone for less than 230 € right now, I quite like the deal.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Stick wanted post on the marketplace - "3770K wanted, willing to pay 200 euros"

I bet you'll get a bite.

11. perplekks45

Thanks for the idea, I will definitely speak with him about the price... unless my girlfriend went ahead and bought it already. Got some messages from her today that hint in that direction. If she did, she's crazy... but then again she's dating me, so that question is pretty much answered already.