1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Consoles are made to spec for a reason, ps4 has sold over 30million now. It launched late 2013 and I'd say we will be lucky to even see the best games released for either ps4 or Xbox one this year. It takes a decent time for game devs to adapt to each generation.

The VR part from Sony is meant to have something to help with performance was the rumour. I'll be honest the PlayStation game I tested some Gangster game looked similar graphics wise to EVE Valker. And that was on Oculus.

Personally think graphics quality will drop for VR games people will have to get used to lower settings.

Sonys biggest advantage is games catalog. They have a big first party catalog including Wipeout and Gran turismo as 2 really big titles.

If they made a PS5 to the spec your talking about bundled with VR cost would be insane or they would lose a lot on it. Sony can't afford to sell a console at a big loss after the PS3 issues where it was very expensive and lost money.

Ps5 will probably only have the equivalent of a Nvidia 960 or 970 in it whenever it launches. The gpu in it now is at least 3 generations out of date from PC performance perspective. 7870 equivalent it's meant to be with tweaks. Even the CPU in it is pretty low end.

VR will probably see mass adoption if it does when the price is closer to £300 for the device.

2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I dont disagree with you but point is ideally in the next years ahead Sony can provide a decent VR solution and that is just not going to happen because of what you have said and also even the fact the PS4 is pretty much brand new seeing launch in pretty much 2014.

So in a way VR is not going to get good support from the console market, or at least the form of VR provided is a no were near what is technically possilble.

People putting on a PSVR are going to get a faction of rich experience and that gap is only going to widen right? Were is Sony going to be in 18 months or 24 monhs regarding VR?

No were with the Ps4.

Sony should look to provide some system to consumers which is modular, supports PC VR headsets else they are going to lose masssive market growths and so on.

Sitting back with the Ps4 which is hugely underpowered is just not an option for Sony.

Do you see the point?

Edit: At this time the PS4 has the biggest ability to bring VR mainstream.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2016
  3. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

The history of Sony is to release a device and forget about it. They'll have 2 games then the tech will be forgotten. Some developer will try and shoehorn it into something every now and again. Out of them all its the one I reckon will fail first despite Sony have a golden chance.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Budget Cuts’ Uses Portals to Solve Room-Scale Locomotion Problem

5. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

There are a few misconceptions about the PSVR's control box that keep cropping up. It's not an outboard GPU, the only graphics processing it does is to perform frame reprojection for the 60Hz->120Hz mode (likely done with the same or a derived DSP to the ones used in Sony's Bravia TV line for framerate upconversion). It's other functions are to extract and seperate the packed frames used for the 'second screen' functionality that drives a TV with a different view from the PSVR HMD through the control box's second HDMI output, and to handle positional audio. The audio is likely handled by using the PS4's existing audio pipeline to generate discrete-channel sound (likely stereo, but possibly multi-channel depending on pipeline efficiency) which is then run through a HRTF in the box. The PS4 otself handles all the rendering duties in generating frames. The PS4 does not have a high-bandwidth bidirectional low-latency external interface bus; Sony could not add an external GPU even if they wanted.
    There have already been over 50 games announced for PSVR (nee Project Morpheus). This is no half-arsed effort.

6. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've got two spare copies of VR compatible 'Blazerush' so I thought I'd do a giveaway. If you have preordered CV1 and would like a copy PM me in the next 24 hours and I'll pick two people at random.

7. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Pretty sure Sony announced a plethora of games that utilised Sixaxis. That didn't work out too well.

8. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

It was ps3 move. Some games like killzone made verh good use of the move. Butt all in all very few games made use of it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Move_games

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Your talking very inexpensive accessories. VRs problem for many will be cost if Sony fails to correctly support it after a year it will be quickly dropped. Sony needs to massively over support it for the first year to encourage outside devs to do some work on it.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

ALL the VR companies will be supporting the first generation of VR games, out of necessity to jump-start the market, not just Sony.

11. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Well of course the VR companies will. It's whether the publishers see significant returns on their investments or not that will decide if they continue to support it.

12. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Oculus are explicitly funding multiple games for VR, so the dev/publisher will have no investment to need to make a return on. Same situation for Sony (who are part/whole subsidising development of PSVR games). Things are a bit murkier with Valve/HTC; HTC are providing some funding, but only for games sold via a HTC store with mandatory DRM (Viveport) rather than through Steam, and Valve are providing free devkits and developer support but apparently not funding (though they may be doing so and the NDAs are still holding).

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Someone has just listed their DK2, locally, for nearly £700!

Talk about taking the piss.

14. Parge

Bahahaha. In fairness, if I knew there was a market for them at £700 I'd sell it too! There's not though, most of the ebay listings have finished at £280 or so.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

Sony does not really need to fund anything. The games made for PSVR are already games that were in development by Sony themselves or Sony first party studios. The only game they would likely have to offer funding for is gran turismo and even then I Dout it as these days the studio is surely owned by Sony.

Valve have there own games catalog they are not going to pay a dev to make games. What they might do is state if you want a VR game to be on steam it must have VIVE support which would make more sense from a business point of view.

Only Oculus have outright said they are funding games and all of them are on there own store page.

Which comes back to something I still wonder about if we will see a lot of exclusive titles in VR for example EVE Valk will work best on Oculus will it work at all on VIVE. Valve could easily block there games collection working on Oculus and force smaller devs who need them to do the same.

The fact Elite : Dangerous is still not confirmed for CV1 this close to launch is a worry and the frontier forums have not been given any official answer on this. With dk2 blocked on it and the only way the title had been shown in VR since been on VIVE. Could we see the game we basically all want to play become VIVE exclusive.

Would give each VR system a space game.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

would it be such a bad thing if elite dangerous only supported the HTC vive commercial version, and Oculus only supported Star Citizen and Eve?

edit: what would be good for VR as a whole long term? open question.

17. workingclass

workingclass What's a Dremel?

Pretty sure I read some interview with a top Occulus employee that restricting game or software in general would not make sense for them, don't think it's something Valve would do either. That said, they will of course only support software that would work on their devices and who knows what happens in the future.

18. Parge

Yes, for consumers it would be pretty terrible because you'd have to buy two extremely expensive headsets. I certainly don't want to spend over a grand - £500 was bad enough.

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Yes Rainbow it would be a terible thing for VR. If it happens its game over, Ill cancel my pre order if Elite does not get CV1 support before the launch in truth.

I have no intrest in EVE Valk, And do want VR for AC and Elite niether of which has confirmed CV1 support at this time.

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Having two successful vibrant growing competing high end VR solutions which cover all aspects of high quality and I guess vive is or is going to be more high end gaming orentated(?) road map.

If to have two competing platforms and it helps VR overall to push even better experience with pressure on each side to out do the others product to secure more unit sales and subscriptions, I'd take the frustration of a couple of titles being exclusive,

If oculas supports elite why would any one buy the vive? Cool art stuff and room tracking?

It could yet be we all move to the vive in time, who knows what is going to happen, if vive delivers the best gaming performance experience and has AC / ELITE exclusive I will be getting a vive and will have to consider the oculas but man you have to guess the oculas is going to be the poo poo.