1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The Great Argos Keyboard Kerfuffle

Discussion in 'General' started by GeorgeK, 26 Jan 2016.

1. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

me too , wont be in ....

2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I have received a text re delivery tomorrow. Wonder what will be waiting for me when i get home from work? blue? brown? red? nothing?

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Well I just spent a couple of hours with the reds after moving from blues, initially I didn't like them, but after a whole I grew to accept them, although I still miss the feedback a bit, they're certainly a lot quieter, the red back lighting doesn't quite match though...

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

One gotcha (that is mentioned in the two-page manual on Coolermaster's website, but NOT in the worthless 6-page 'quick start booklet actually included with the keyboard) is that if the FN key is illuminated, the keyboard is in FN-lock mode. This prevents you from using the F1-F12 keys at all until you exit the FN-lock mode by holding the FN key for 3 seconds until the LED turns off. In the normal mode, you can now press F1-F12 for the normal F1-F12 functions AND hold FN while pressing F1-F12 for the alternative function (as longa s you don't hold FN for more than 3 seconds). In FN-lock mode, you CANNOT hold the FN key while pressing F1-F12 in order to access the normal F1-F12 functions, which is a terrible design choice.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

The one to my home address was in my partner's name, mine came to my work address :rock:

6. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I hadn't realised that, that does suck.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's just a gimmick - I used to own a TK and never used FN-lock mode once, nor did I have any problems with accidentally activating it.

8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Agreed - it's a non-issue. You don't need three seconds to activate the secondary F key functions. Even if you do accidentally activate FN lock on occasion, are you really so furiously busy that you can't wait three seconds for it deactivate?

9. Comrade Woody

Comrade Woody Obsolete

I suppose it depends how you want to use those keys, if you want them to be primarily media keys the lock would be a lot more useful if you could still use the F keys with it engaged, instead of having to deactivate and then reactivate it.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It doesn't really depend how you want to use those keys - they are primarily function keys, whether the user wants them to be or not. If the user wants keys that are primarily media keys, then the user needs to buy a different keyboard. The phrase "you can't have your cake and eat it" springs to mind. ;)

11. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Mine was active in FN-lock mode out of the box. With nothing actually contained in or on the box to indicate that said mode even exists...

12. spazmochad

spazmochad Minimodder

Mine's just turned up, TK with blues for me. Nice to type on, although I'd have preferred browns if I was using it in an office due to the noise. The lack of a dedicated delete key is going to be something of a problem if I can't get used to it quickly enough.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

It's definitely a keyboard in its own right, and the layout/functionality will take some getting used to. I'm sure after this big influx of TKs that there will be other keyboards appearing on the marketplace - in my case it's almost certain.

14. mingingbollock

mingingbollock Minimodder

Keyboard arrived , I got Browns with white leds :)

Last edited: 28 Jan 2016
  15. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

If you fancy Reds with Reds *nudge nudge* :rolleyes:

16. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

So I came home to a card from UK Mail today, with no text or email to let me know they were coming. The parcel was within inches of my front door and now it's back at their depot, 25 miles away in another city. Oh well... tomorrow it is then!

Oooh it looks like you are the first and (thus far) the sole recipient of browns on this forum!

Incidental personal peeve - I really wish CM had done something other than white LEDs for their brown switch boards... purple would've been sweet.

17. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

So its arrived and its.....

....browns!

Think I'm happy with that tbh.

Question: If anyone with blues was interested in swapping for browns would they mind if it had been opened to try it?

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Speaking for myself, I really don't care if I receive an open box item from a swap. It's still new. :)

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Browns with white LEDS arrived

20. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Damn it! This is the first time I actually wanted to be later in the shipping list.