1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft adds Windows 10 upgrade to Windows Update

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Feb 2016.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I have upgraded my gaming box to it purely to use my wireless XBONE controller adapter. That was as compelling a reason as it got!

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

As I've written elsewhere, I'm eagerly awaiting August 2016. Microsoft stated the "upgrade" to Windows 10 would be free for 1 year. If Microsoft keeps its promise we should finally stop being pestered once August comes around ...yeah, sure. ;)

3. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Interesting point. Will the nag screens go away?

If I choose not to take the free version how much will it then cost?

What penalties might M$ signal or put in place for those who have not upgraded?

M$ have kind of indicated that win10 is the 'last' OS. So in 2 years time when M$ would normally be rolling out win11 ...what are they going to do? With what are they going to try and grab my attention ...and my money?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've lost track: did we decide 'Recommended' updates are installed automatically by default, or need manual selection? 'Cos if it's the former, I need to correct the article...

5. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

What will it get me?

And what will break? Because something will. Will MS dispatch an engineer to come and un**** it?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't think we did, i was going to do an VM install to check out how many people are going to get caught by the change but have been a little busy. :(

EDIT: So after being reminded that i intended to do this yesterday i installed Windows 7 Home in a VM, thing is IDK if it was something i done or that it's a VM but Windows update is off, as in it looks like this. :confused:

[​IMG]

EDIT2: So after having clicked turn on automatic updates it installed an update to Windows update, restarted Windows update and started checking, an hour and a bit later later it finally finished so i clicked change settings and it was set to install updates automatically, check everyday @ 3AM, with a tick in "give me recommended updates the same way i receive important updates" and a tick in "allow all users to install updates"

Although AFAIK Microsoft have said that users would have to agree to the upgrade, i guess for legal reasons of accepting the license agreement.

Last edited: 3 Feb 2016
  7. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

I updated on one of my systems, which works (mostly) but with driver updates being pushed to it, I've had it BSOD a couple of times without warning - once from Intel Graphics driver, once from Realtek Audio.

Wasn't took pleased, as I lost some work.

Ultimately, I find I don't use W10 any differently to how I used 8.1 or 7 - the Start menu is only there as a program search feature for applications I don't use regularly. Regularly used apps are pinned to Taskbar, and I know where all my documents, etc are.

I waited until release 1511 to go to Win 10, then tried it. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either. It's still as annoying as Win 8 about hiding things in stupid places, but like Win 8 it has a much better File Manager than Win 7. So I find myself torn.

I've had a couple of applications refuse to work, a couple magically vanished and I had to reinstall them after the update to Win 10 (despite Win 10 telling me everything was compatible)... not got Win 10 on a 'gaming' system yet, so don't know about how games behave.

8. Helz

Helz What's a Dremel?

I didn't trade my Win7x64 license for a $15 Windows 8 "upgrade", and I won't be taking that free Windows 10 "deal" either. It takes years for MS to iron out an OS, I'm not buying into their horrible new business model.

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

So, Recommended Updates *are* set to be installed automatically by default, but this *particular* Recommended Update will *not* be installed automatically (but may be downloaded automatically) as you have to agree to an EULA. Possibly(!)

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Took me aaaaages to go to W7 over XP, however I went to 8, 8.1 and now 10 fairly quickly.

Not finding it overly different, seem to remember deliberately going into the settings and turning off all of the stuff sharing information with Microsoft etc, other than that not really had any issues.

Although I am currently having some internet issues and part of me wonders if it's because of W10, but there's no way I can be bothered to reinstall back to something else to check, unless it gets worse.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

People are talking like they have a choice, in 2 years time you want to run the latest game you will need direct X 12 guess what it's Windows 10 only. Want to run the latest office it will be Windows 10.

Plenty of things will require the update from new CPUs to new motherboards to new gpus. Once Windows 7 is no longer main stream Nvidia and AMD will drop gpu driver support. You might get one driver a year.

Intel and AMD have both already confirmed you need Windows 10 for best performance and certain features for skylake and zen onwards.

If what's been said is accurate Windows 10 will just get updated but not a new one. Unless Apple becomes the biggest PC manufacture or Linux gains volume your stuck with it.

I don't like Windows 10 but have upgraded as the game I wanted to play will be dx12 only on launch so may as well take a free upgrade now.

People said the same about Windows XP but most have now upgraded.

12. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's how it seems to be, from reading some peoples experience of the change it seems a user whose gone with Microsoft's default settings would find Windows 10 downloaded automatically, then the install starts and when their system reboots for the first time, and every other reboot after that, they would be presented with the EULA, agree to that and it would 'upgrade' them to Windows 10, to keep using their old OS they would have to click disagree each time they reboot/boot.

It all seems rather underhanded IMHO.

@rollo, You seem to be suggesting that there's no other OS's.

Last edited: 4 Feb 2016
  13. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends what you want to play or use in the future. Biggest game of these forums is Star Citizen the lead dev hates OSX and has been scathing over AMD and Nvidia for Linux. Neither platform is in the current supported list and niether is likely to get it.

Devs like to promise stuff like Linux and OS X support very few deliver it.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK RSI have said Star Citizen is coming to Linux, yes AMD and Nvidia have a lot of work to do with their Linux drivers but isn't it a catch 22 situation?

For me Microsoft have crossed a red line and because of that I've chosen to swap to Linux later this year, yes the gaming experience may not be on par with Windows but that doesn't really bother me, I'll just throw more powerful hardware at the problem, if a game doesn't support Linux then they won't be getting my money, simple.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've been using linux almost daily for the past while. I use it for doing software and document work and Web browsing. I do have some bad screen tearing problems which I'm hoping wayland or mir will sort out. I still hop back into windows for games. I fully intend on looking into a Windows gaming VM which I can run on Linux with hardware pass through for graphics. I'll lock that down as much as possible network wise. But it could close to next year before I start looking into it.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

You can say they have promised and I can show you a list of broken promises.

Latest batman promised both Linux and OSX both are now cancelled. Elite Dangerous promised Linux support still not done.

Take the 5 most popular titles for Windows last year.

How many of the 5 even have OSX support let alone Linux.

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

The reality is most AAA games won't be ported to Linux. If anyone moves to the platform that's not going to be a shock.

People say gaming on linux is a chicken and egg problem but it's not really. The user base has to be there before the games will come. So other factors like Windows 10, a general interest in computing or even the current Linux gaming titles satiating gaming requirements, need to act as motivators to move.

If that user base ever hits critical mass then the games will start to come leaving the potential for it to snowball. But the users have to come first.

Whether that will ever happen or not is a different story. Using linux requires relearning and some comprises, so I doubt it will happen tbh.

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

@rollo, I never said they promised Linux support just that they didn't say it's not likely to get it, in fact it's quite the opposite, there likely to get it, sure that may never happen but if it doesn't then they've made one less sale.

What you seem to be arguing rollo is the same catch 22 situation Microsoft find themselves in with their apps store, but reversed for games, you seem to be saying that developers don't put the resources into Linux gaming because of the small market share so we should all just continue using Windows.

It seems that's the same situation Microsoft find themselves in with their apps store and mobile devices, developers don't put the resources into modern/mobile apps because of the small market share so we should just continue using Apple & Android.

19. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I use old kit and am likely to do so for a few more years as I don't feel a need to upgrade. My biggest concern is that they'll make a change (that I can't opt out of) that bricks my systems and, for example, no longer supports my motherboard or CPU. Something similar to what Apple do with old components that they decide they'll no longer support with OS upgrades.

A secondary and lesser concern is that they'll decide they will start using a subscription system at some point in the future where the only option is that or switch to Apple or Linux.

20. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Windows 10 is pretty good, it's now on all of my machines apart from one I am not allowed to change as it is not mine, my only gripe is the touch browsing, the Windows 8 metro browser was very good, I'd like it back, it was much better for touch/tablet style browsing usage than the edge rubbish, 10 also runs much quicker generally than 7 and the same hardware.

DPI scaling appear much better in 10 too when comparing my workhorse with 13" 3200x1800 on Win7 to my personal laptop 12.5 4k on win 10.

Old slow kit would probably run better on 10 than other OS assuming you hav driver support for the old kit as it is quite lightweight in comparison to say 7, uses its memory properly.