1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Acer XB321HK 4K 32" IPS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by N17 dizzi, 26 Jan 2016.

1. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

G-Sync works well with lower refresh rates... basically:-

< 75-80Hz enable G-Sync
    > 80Hz disable G-Sync and enable ULMB

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I thought that they locked it to 30fps to look more cinematic like it's being played on a potato.

Does using something like D3D overrider fix that?

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't think so. Maybe they did. I thought black flag wasn't locked which was the last one I played. Although when games are tearing like that with poor fps I tend to sync them to 30hz because it's better than higher refresh plus tearing or vsync plus constant frame delays as it falls under 60 fps

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Well either way I am looking at a new monitor because the issues are driving me nuts. Surely it would be possible to have two inputs split before the G-sync module? Like on a switch?

5. theshadow2001

Acer have the best on paper specs but it's very hit or miss if you'll get a proper monitor. Then there's Asus I've seen bad consumer reviews on their early TN gsync monitors. Coupled with your own experience, yeah....

Viewsonic are releasing Gsync in march. I use two of their professional line monitors and am very happy with them. So maybe they know how to put one together properly.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Idd with what you've said, only 1 input and the cheap looking stand particularly. In the context of November 2014 when I bought mine there was no other 4K monitor with G-Sync and I was keen to try it out. This was in the knowledge that G-Sync is fairly essential for maxing out settings @ native in certain games.

Now as you can see I am looking for something better. I still think the XB280HK is decent, Acer did well here for a TN. Viewing angles are way better than I expected, though not as good as IPS, and the colours are also reasonable. I had it side by side with the PG27AQ, there was a difference but not spectacularly so.

I am willing to buy another Acer based on my experience. If anything my faith in Asus has diminished, at least in their QC.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2016
  7. Vault-Tec

Yeah the threads I have seen on the Swift in particular have been awful.

That said I must say I do become quite aroused by their "Dominator" 1440p Freesync monitor. I'm thinking of making the drop to 1440p for some insane frame rates instead of "Just about enough" all of the time.

8. pre

pre Minimodder

So if I'm playing a game and have a steady 75fps and a refresh rate of 75Hz it's the same as playing with GSYNC set to 75Hz?

For the models that go upto 100Hz GSYNC it'd be like playing with 100fps/100Hz even if the game is demanding enough at points to drop to 50fps/100Hz?

9. Vault-Tec

If you are playing a game at a rock solid 75 FPS with no major drops whatsoever (impossible for a PC game, IMO) then regular old VSYNC works perfectly well.

For me the only added benefit of G-sync was when I was playing at 4k on two cards that could not even hold 40 FPS, let alone the full 60 I could get if my GPUs had the balls.

When a game suddenly drops from 45-25 FPS (like Dying Light did, all of the time) Gsync smooths it out. So instead of feeling a massive stutter you instead feel it slow down ever so slightly before normality commences. It also prevents input lag, so what you press is what you get. Unlike in a stutter where the press will go off once the stutter has completed.

I've heard a lot of people say that once you get up above 60 FPS as a minimum G-sync becomes less necessary and I can agree with that really.

Unfortunately due to poor optimization and so on PC games will never be able to maintain any given solid FPS number every time, all of the time.

I played Crysis today. Not any of the spangly new ones but the old one made in 2007. At 4k with two Fury X I could not break 60 FPS (I can't enable VSYNC as it locks it to 24hz (something to do with Displayport) so I had to turn VSYNC off completely.

And I still saw drops into the low 40s (though I tell you what, it looks just as good as any game released this year !)

But those are the times I wish I could still use the G-sync module in my monitor.

10. pre

pre Minimodder

When G-SYNC is taking effect ie when it drops from 100/100 to 50/100 is a drop in fps still quite noticeable?

11. Vault-Tec

Yes you will still notice it, it just feels a lot smoother.

12. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I took a chance and grabbed the Acer (!) XB321HK.. I got it on the weekly discount. Let's see what it's like.

There seems to be some seriously crap panels being sold right now, all sorts of issues.

13. pre

pre Minimodder

Is that from E-Buyer cos that looks like a great price? I like that it's not curved but can't seem to see anything about it's refresh rate anywhere?

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This review says "variable 30-60Hz" (Middle of 2nd paragraph)

15. theshadow2001

Let us know how you get on.

16. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

17. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

It is bright and the colours look amazing. 4K in 32" is a great balance between size and res.

It has a dead pixel in the top left corner, which is a bugbear. That aside, its great. Nice stand, no glossy plastic. Well made it seems.

18. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

This is how mine looks....

http://imgur.com/a/EEAKJ

Going back this week. Very uneaven backlight, which is not acceptable for such an expensive monitor! :(

19. Vault-Tec

It's an Acer.... I had the 28" 4k and the backlight bleed was awful. It looked like loads of spotlights were being shone on the screen when it was black.