1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Canonical's convergence to début in the Aquaris M10

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 5 Feb 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Icy EyeG

Icy EyeG Controlled by Eyebrow Powers™

Canonical's approach has the advantage of running full desktop Linux programs. On x86 tablet you can even run full Chrome or Windows Programs via WINE if you so desire, or... you could even turn the device into a development platform or a server (ARM devices should work just fine for this).

Because of this, I'm waiting for a supported x86 tablet with at least 32Gb of storage, for the extra flexibility that ARM doesn't provide.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2016
  3. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

The most successful crowd funding project of the time which only failed because it's target was so high. Probably a good job it didn't reach it's goal, as I imagine it would have been delayed to the point where the competition would have released something better.

4. SteveW

SteveW What's a Dremel?

There's a way to run x86 Windows apps on ARM hardware using QEMU and WINE. It's a bit complicated to do, but I've had it working in the past.

I only use Windows when absolutely necessary (i.e. playing games I can't get to run on Linux), so this is something I'll definitely buy and get a more powerful version when its available. The worst thing that can happen is that interested parties don't buy it (because its underpowered) and then development is abandoned due to a perceived lack of interest.