1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics GPU Driver / System Stability Issue

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by russ555, 8 Feb 2016.

1. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

I've been having this issue for a while now but it's getting to the point where I can't play a game for more than a few minutes without the Nvidia drivers no longer responding error or more commonly the monitors just going into standby and the pc requiring a forced shutdown. Occasionally the pc will fail to boot at all and switch itself off and back on, at which point it gives a warning about voltages.

I've tried;
    Removing CPU overclock.
    Changing firewall from zonealarm to commodo.
    Unplugging usb devices.
    Using DDU and CCleaner to completly remove the Nvidia driver and trying older versions.
    Reinstalling windows - This seemed stable for a bit and I installed as little software possible but the issue returned.
    Different surge protector and power socket.
    Monitoring temps - GPU and CPU peak around 60°C

Specs;
    W7
    i5 2500k
    GTX970
    Z68AP-D3
    Corsair CS600W 8GBDDR3 Corsair Ram
    Cyberpower 480w UPS - I haven't tried using this since it rated lower than the PSU. Could using this UPS damage my PC?
    Any suggestions or should I just start replacing components?
    My first replacement would likely be PSU since I will need to upgrade it in the future to support 970x2 SLI.
    Second suspect would be the GPU or MB, I suspect the MB only because I broke the PCI clipper thing that helps secure the GPU.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited: 8 Feb 2016
  2. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

Which OS are you using?

3. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

Windows 7

4. Dr. Awesome

Dr. Awesome I go to 11

You could try the GPU in another PCI socket, just to rule out the clip being the cause. Do you have a different graphics card you could throw in to test as well?

Do you still get the not responding errors when the card is idling at the desktop or is it only in game?

5. russ555

russ555 What's a Dremel?

I'll try a different slot tomorrow.

It's never happened while idle on the desktop but it has happened once or twice while browsing the web or watching a video/stream.

6. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

on a lower slot mines wouldnt perform as good.

When in the right slot, it didnt perform as well either. I reset my bios, used ddu driver cleaner from 3d guru and got the latest drivers for the gpu.

Fixed all my issues.

7. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

try also updating to the latest bios. Could help. Any one u know who could try your gpu, or any other components to rule them out. You could use a multimeter on the psu to check that as well

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Funnily enough I get the same issue, but only when running Rise of the Tomb Raider. It happens much more often if I deviate at all from stock Vram frequency. PC sort of goes into a sleep mode. Sometimes it can be woken up, others I have to hold the power button down for 5 seconds. When I press it again, it has sometimes resumed as if from sleep with the windows 10 login screen.

No other games seem to be affected.

9. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

maybe a driver issue for windows then ?

10. stephen0205

stephen0205 MrSteve

did u ever find a solution