1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What Fan is What

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Pauloasis, 3 Feb 2002.

1. Pauloasis

Pauloasis What's a Dremel?

Hello all

Very new to this and still in the planning stage , however can anyone tell me the best set up for fans? From what I understand you have a fan at the front of the case (intake) and then a fan at the back of the case (exhaust) what are blow holes for? Do all the fans turn the same way or do you have impellers and propellers?

Cheers

Paul

2. seb835

seb835 What's a Dremel?

hi, well ill try and get to all your questions. Ok, there are no different spinning direction fans, theyre all the same. Depending on wether you want it to blow or suck, you just mount it either way around on your case or wherever.

As for the best fan setup...well theres a question indeed! I suppose its widely accepted to have an intake fan at the front (relatively powerful so that air reaches the back of your case) and an exhuast fan at the rear of the case. Im about to modify my case and put a large 120mm diameter fan at the front which will suck air in to the case and pass it thourgh to my exhuast fan, cooling the entire system in the process.

Blowholes are simply ways of either intaking or exhuasting air from your case via a large hole! For example, imagine your case with no fans apart from the CPU with its heatsink and fan. Imagine the fan is sucking the air away from the cpu and blowing it around your case. After a while your CPU keeps generating heat and the only air which the fan can draw from is the hot air in your case (much the way my case is at the moment! hehe). Now imagine if you drilled a hole in the side of your case located directly above the CPU fan. Now the CPU's fan blows the hot air OUT of the case which means the case temperature remains cooler which means the fan can draw on cooler air thus reducing your CPU temperature. Thats only a basic example but im sure you get the idea.

anyway since you say youre quite new to this, i would reccomend and 80mm fan at the fron pulling air into the case, and an 80mm fan at the rear sucking the air out.

Anyway have fun and let us know how you get on
    seb

3. Brackish

Brackish What's a Dremel?

Ideal fan setup is to intake cool air low and exhaust hot air high. Blowholes, then, work on the "exhaust hot air high" side of the house, opposite from suckholes, which pull in cool air from the bottom of the case (i.e., the space created under the case by its feet). Because warm air rises, this type of setup works well.

You also may want to consider the pressure inside the case, although some will argue that it is of no consequence. Positive pressure is created when more air is taken into the case than is exhausted at any given time. Some say this helps repel dust because air is trying to get out Malcolm X-style -- by any means necessary. Negative pressure, then, occurs when more air is exhausted than is taken in at any given time.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.