1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issue With My PG278Q ROG Swift - Now Fixed

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by Chris_Waddle, 17 Dec 2015.

1. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Hi, wonder if you can help me?

I have started getting issues with my monitor. When it's on it works perfectly, but the issues I am getting are in turning it on.

If I turn it off using the switch at the back of the screen it turns off as it should and will turn back on if I do this straight away. The problem I have is if I leave it tuned off for a few hours. When I try and turn it back on it refuses. I have found that if I unplug the power cord from the transformer? box, wait for a minute and then plug the power lead back in, the screen turns on and works perfectly.

I did notice too a few weeks ago that even though I turned it off at the back of the screen it would randomly turn itself on again for no reason at all - even if the PC was turned off. It's stopped doing this now and I have the issue above.

Any ideas as to what is wrong with it or what I should do with it?

Last edited: 10 Feb 2016
  2. Ryan@ASUS

Ryan@ASUS What's a Dremel? Moderator

Hi Chris,

Sorry you're experiencing problems with your PG278Q. This kind of irregular power cycling you describe is not part of normal operation of the monitor, it shouldn't do this. Providing the power brick you are using with your PG278Q is fully functional then it sounds like your monitor could be due for some repairs to fix the issue, if your monitor is still within warranty.

Regards

Ryan Martin

3. Chris_Waddle

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I'm pretty sure its the power brick. I'm not alone in this. If you read this link you'll see I'm not alone with this issue and the consensus is that it's the a fauly power brick.

I really don't want to have to RMA it, as when it is working it's great. Sadly, I don't know anyone else with one of these monitors so that I can try another power block.

4. Ryan@ASUS

Hi Chris,

The ROG Swift uses a standard 19 volt power brick and draws about 45-watts at maximum load.

It's possible to use a laptop power brick for testing purposes. 65-watt or more is recommended but you might be able to get away with a 45-watt just for testing (if you turn brightness down) that supplies 19v output and has the same connection type. We did a similar thing at Insomnia i56 when we found ourselves without monitor power bricks in the PG278Q boxes.

Have you tried contacting customer services and telling them you know the problem is with the power brick. They should be able to send you a replacement without requiring the monitor back.

Regards

Ryan Martin

5. Chris_Waddle

Thanks for getting back to me. I haven't contacted them about this I was wasn't sure what to do.

I will try contacting them about it and see how it goes. Appreciate the information.

6. Chris_Waddle

Hi Ryan,

Got a reply this morning and I have to go through a full RMA, even though I have been asked to label it for the power supply issue only.

To be honest, I just can't be arsed as it's way more of an inconvenience than it's worth. I'll keep on using it as it is and try and pick up another power supply for it.

Thanks for looking into it though.

7. Ryan@ASUS

Hi Chris,

This doesn't seem correct. Can you provide me your case number and I'll look into it with someone in our service team.

Thanks

Ryan

8. Chris_Waddle

Hi Ryan,

My case number is: WTM20160104231347094

Thanks again

9. Ryan@ASUS

Great, thanks Chris. Someone is on the case, will get back to you when I get a resolution.

10. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

[​IMG]

11. Ryan@ASUS

I can't guarantee I'll get a resolution today though, depends on their response time ;)

12. Chris_Waddle

Many thanks for letting me know. I will continue to monitor this thread with interest then.

13. Ryan@ASUS

Hi Chris,

I have spoken with our UK & Ireland Customer services team and they have told me that you are entitled to do a PSU replacement only, without sending the monitor off or having it replaced.

They advise that you:

1) Visit ASUS.co.uk/RMA
    2) Fill in the warranty application form
    3) State in the description it's for a PSU replacement only.

(This should work)

But if it doesn't you can also:

1) Visit http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx
    2) Fill in this form
    3) State in the description you are looking for a PSU replacement only

Through either avenue you should get offered a replacement PSU.

If you have any troubles feel free to contact me again!

Thanks

Ryan

14. Chris_Waddle

Thanks again Ryan, I'll give it a go tonight.

Really appreciate your help on this.

15. Chris_Waddle

Hi Ryan,

Apologies for not replying sooner, but with work and everything going on I carried on with it as it was for a few weeks. Anyway, at the end of Jan it completely refused to turn on.

I contacted the tech service and on the 3rd Feb I got a reply saying that a new power brick was being sent out to me.

It's arrived today and my screen is back up and running now as good as ever. Just got to hope that this power brick keeps on going.

Thanks again for your assitance, it was much appreciated.

16. Ryan@ASUS

Great news! thanks for letting me know that it's all been sorted, much appreciated.

Enjoy your gaming ;)

17. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Please contact us more assistance to get hold of a new power brick if that is the issue as above in the thread.

Kind Regards

Bill @ ROG UK
    Hotline: 01442-265548 9am - 5pm
    Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx