1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory 2x8Gb Vs 4x4Gb - Memory Stick Performance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gtiboy, 12 Feb 2016.

1. gtiboy

gtiboy Minimodder

Hi, Can anyone tell me if there is a performance difference between using 2x8Gb and 4x4Gb memory sticks?

Thinking about a new build upgrading to Skylake i7 Core 6700k and Z170 motherboard.

Thanks

2. rollo

rollo Modder

No performance difference, might effect your overclocks on the CPU using more memory sticks is a issue sometimes that happens.

3. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

there is not really a performance difference its good to buy the biggest set in least package

eg if you have 4 slots

if you get 2 x 8gb you can later upgrade to another set of 2 x 8gb to double the amount
    if you get 4 x 4gb you have to upgrade the whole 4 to double the amount of ram

4. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

As Rollo said 4 sticks stresses the memory controller on the chip more, so max overclock could be lower. IMO 2 x 8GB gives you best of both worlds as well as leaving room for future expansion.

5. Dan848

Dan848 What's a Dremel?

yes, 4 sticks of RAM does stress the memory controller more. Also, using 4 sticks increases the latency, which does decrease performance, however, you should not notice the difference unless benchmarking, and as already been said it can effect overclocking [because of reduced performance and increased stress on the memory controller].

Last edited: 12 Feb 2016
  6. Deders

Deders Modder

If you go for an Asus motherboard with T-Topology which keeps tracer lengths to each stick at equal distances, it will reduce the impact of running 4 sticks instead of 2. I'd still go for 2 over 4 though for future upgradability.