1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Deadpool - Ugh, stupid, stupid. Worth it!/10

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Scicario 4/10

Managed to take a short film and stretch it to over two hours, boo-oo-ring.
    Not that it has less story than other movies, it's just that nothing is fleshed out in between the few storypoints.

3. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Deadpool - SQUEEEEE!/10 (I may have had a minor fanboigasm while watching it. Oops? :blush:)

The only way they could have made it better is if they had Bruce Campbell in there as well. A high budget, Marvel universe movie that shows that but is at the same time as cheesy and corny as films like Bubba Hotep, My Name is Bruce and Tucker and Dale vs Evil. Silly? Oh yes! Stupid? Definitely! Worth it? You're dang right it was! The titles alone are just utterly ridiculous
    The wedgie on the guy on the bike? Genius!
    and set the tone for the whole film. I actually laughed out loud rather than just smiling slightly :jawdrop:

4. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones 6/10

Some nice visuals and a reasonably interesting story, but too many cardboard characters and more cliches than you can shake a stick at. Not bad enough for 50%, but not good enough for much more, so I was generous!

5. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Hate to break it to you, but Deadpool's entire budget was $58mil. It's nothing compared to THE AVENGERS ($220M), AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON ($250M), CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER ($170M), X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST ($200M), MAN OF STEEL ($225M) or even THE DARK KNIGHT ($185M) to name a few. ANT-MAN carried the smallest budget for any Marvel Studios films at $130M.

6. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

interestingly the movie they didn't want to make and the one with the smallest budget was the best bang for the buck and I'm quite tempted to say it was the best marvel movie until now.
    really hope they take that into account in the next x-men and so on ..

in reality i was quite a little bit embarrassed watching deadpool because I'm the kind of guy that like to watch movies in silence (in fact some of my friends stopped being invited because they would talk and be generally distracting ) and in deadpool i was the one making noises ... laughing out loud just really outside of my normal behaviour but so was the rest of the room
    if you haven't seen it do it do it now lool

7. legoman

legoman breaker of things

It was deadpool fighting colossus or the small hand moment that got the most laughs from memory

8. Xir

Xir Modder

Inside Out 7/10

Good, better story than expected, but (as most Pixars go) not really suitable for the really young children (better for us parents though).
    Look, there's Inductive Reasoning. There's Deja Vu. There's Language Processing! There's Deja Vu. There's Critical Thinking! There's Deja Vu.

I did a "Kids Movie Day" (due to all-sunday-rain) with the Grandparents, and the ones chatting were the grandparents :grr:

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Spotlight Frightening/10

Spotlight is a really depressing and scary movie. Not in a argh monsters kind of way, but in the way it shows the mundane nature of evil and what a real global conspiracy looks like. It's not grandstanding loonies, it's ostensibly nice, normal people getting involved in ****ed up **** because people they respect ask them to.

Worth seeing, if only to sit slack jawed at the list of places the church has been outed protecting rapists and pedophiles. It just keeps going and going.

Also, there needs to be a Steven Spielberg biopic and Liev Schreiber needs to play the guy.

10. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Deadpool 9/10

Finally got out to see this last night with a mate (which was part of the experience - definitely go with somebody if you go at all).

Great movie on many levels, and one of the funniest films I've ever seen; the only other film that has made me laugh so much is Liar Liar. There is a fantastic blend of black comedy and straight ahead slapstick, coupled with some very nice visuals and an engaging story that has some surprisingly sombre moments. A little too much profanity/vulgarity for my personal taste (and yeah, I know that it's part of the genre), but a great movie nonetheless.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Deadpool and I loved it, we need more films like that where they just don't care about what they say or do in them.

12. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Unfriended 4/10

There is no film per say. The entire movie watches like your average PC screen, like we all are. It goes through skype calls, facebook, youtube and such other internet pages. The plot is a ghost-revenge story. Their 'friend' was being bullied and took her own life, with video documentation to prove it. A group of friends go on skype and suddenly an unknown person intrudes into their call. Horror tropes then follow.

I really liked the concept, but not for a big movie like this. It doesn't work as a film, a youtube video or an internet show would work better. I think it'd make a great game. The actors are all pretty bad at acting their characters. The effects did work. Flakey webcams and dark rooms made the atmosphere, but it just wasn't scary. It was tense as you read the messages and the 'spirit' made the teens play games in a saw like fashion, the loser dying.

I don't recommend it if you were even slightly interested in watching it. The entire format doesn't work for the concept and the actors were monumentally bad.

13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Deadpool: Awful, politically incorrect self-mastubating movie. Absolutely hilarious. Funniest movie I have seen in a long time. The only movie I can remember that was funnier is Four Lions.

14. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've been sold by people raving about Deadpool on here. I'd never heard of the character and wouldn't have given it any attention.

But...

... I didn't think Four Lions was particularly funny. So now I don't know what to think :confused:

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I almost watched that last night. It just looked too iffy to me. Glad I avoided it now !

16. Darkwisdom

The only good thing is who ends up dying - they all deserved it, they're awful, terrible people.

17. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Haha, sorry.

The humour in those movies is not similar. At all. Both are black comedy movies, but of a very different kind. Four Lions is a satiric masterpiece dealing with a very serious issue. Deadpool is a chauvinistic sexist trashy movie poking fun at all the other hero movies out there.

I just liked both of them due to their dark humour and would recommend both of them, that's all.

Oh yeah: Deadpool is the only dc/marvel hero movie I liked in the last ten years aparth from The Dark Knight. And I have had the displeasure of watching all of them. My friends love hearing me rave about how shity the newest Avengers movie is for some reason. Yes, I am still salty about the ten bucks spent on the Avengers. So you might want to disregard my opinion...

Last edited: 25 Feb 2016
  18. Xir

Xir Modder

Aren't we all :worried:

19. Darkwisdom

True, everyone probably is terrible in one way or another. I mean, I'm fairly sure that i'm a high functioning sociopath.

These teenagers were basically pure evil in that film. They basically did whatever they wanted to this poor girl and had the balls to lie to a spirit and say they were always friends and they 'didn't mean it'.

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Creed

This is a difficult one. I absolutely love vintage Rocky, and I am a fan of the 2006 re-visit, 'Rocky Balboa', where the character returned to his roots and very much resembled an older version of the 'punchy' original.

This Creed film is a bit different. It seems to spend much of the time establishing itself as distinctly separate from the Rocky series, but then, towards the end,
    invokes Rocky very strongly with the iconic climactic music kicking in towards the end of the fight

Rocky doesn't seem quite himself in this. He's a bit less 'punchy' and there's hardly any of the endearing part of his character coming through. I don't know how much this may be down to 'Creed' being the first of the 7 films not to have been written by Sly, though I s'pose it could also be down to the stage of life Rocky is at, with nothing much to live for anymore perhaps his heart just isn't quite in it anymore.

I spent most of the film enjoying it and looking forward to a good climax, but for me it didn't quite deliver and I ended up a bit disappointed by it. It's mostly well done but lacks the Rocky heart and magic and just ends up being a bit stuck in a no-mans-land between a totally new, drier, boxing series on one side and a Rocky film on the other side.

I've probably only seen Rocky V three times, but after seeing Creed I think I'm inclined to say I'd rather watch any of the five Rocky films, or Rocky Balboa, over watching Creed again. I'm really attached to the Rocky character though, so perhaps a less-attached viewer may think differently.