1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Booting in BIOS

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by AllanRoy, 25 Jan 2016.

1. AllanRoy

AllanRoy What's a Dremel?

Hi Ryan,

Thanks again for your reply, and I appreciate your help with this, given that this clearly isn't a problem related to my ASUS hardware! Though you'll be pleased to know that yesterday I replaced my MSI graphics card for a new ASUS Strix!

Anyway, as for the issue at hand, I have run /scannow - clear. Win 10 updates itself automatically these days. I use GeForce Experience to keep my graphics driver up-to-date. I'll look into using Intel's driver tool and see if that throws up anything. I recently installed CCleaner and have done a little bit of house keeping with that, but I'll pursue it further. I have Norton Security installed and rely on that to keep malware etc. at bay. Norton is giving me the all clear at present.

I'm happy to leave this problem here for now, although I shall continue to see what I can do to fix it, but my machine is running OK and I can get my work done. I'm managing Sleep Mode manually for now, and I can get by with that.

Picking up on my original post, you might be interested to know that a couple of days ago I re-flashed the BIOS again back up to the latest version 1402, just to see if it might fix the problem - it didn't, but it did reintroduce the "booting into BIOS" problem that started this thread! But I'm not going to worry too much about that (if I have to go back to version 0802, I will do) but it's interesting that flashing the BIOS to version 1402, is clearly introducing this problem.

Allan.

2. Ryan@ASUS

Ryan@ASUS What's a Dremel? Moderator

Hi Allan,

That's very frustrating that the latest BIOS does that. The problem for me is I've not heard of anyone else having this issue, in fact we have many media and customers using Maximus VIII Hero on the latest BIOS. This means we'd really need to narrow down to what specifically about your system caused the system to do it, and as you can probably guess it's no easy task! It could be anything, some particular combination of hardware or settings that causes the problem.

With regards to the sleep problem, while you can "live" with it, it seems like you shouldn't have to. If you get time, it'd be interesting to know if a clean install of a Windows OS on a spare drive still gives you the problem (i.e. narrowing down if it is software issue with your current OS setup or hardware related). Given the boot to BIOS issue, and if the sleep problem is hardware related. I think that's enough to command a warranty replacement of your board, there could indeed be a hardware fault causing both these problems.

Ryan

3. AllanRoy

Hello Ryan,

Do you really think it could be a fault with the MB? I have to say since I re-flashed BIOS back up to 1402, a couple of weeks ago, the "booting into BIOS" problem has been 100% consistent when booting from cold. If I then F10/exit the BIOS it will boot into the OS as normal. I didn't have this issue with the 0802, the BIOS the board shipped with. AS for my hardware, it's more or less straight out of the CPC "Elite" list:

ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
    i7 6700K
    Corsair H80i GT cooler
    16BG Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz
    2TB Seagate Barracude
    500GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD
    ASUS Strix GTX 970

I would have thought this was a fairly straight-forward set up.

As for the not-sleeping problem, I may pursue the "DistributedCOM error ID 10016" as it's the only error showing up in Event viewer.

However, if it came to it, what would be involved in sending back the MB?

Cheers, Allan.

4. Ryan@ASUS

Ryan@ASUS What's a Dremel? Moderator

Hi Allan,

It may be or it may not...nothing is certain in the world of computers!

That said, I see no reason why you should be getting these problems. I know other media who have tested (similar) combinations of hardware without any issues so it leads me to the conclusion it could only be an issue with the motherboard. You're right, there's nothing unusual about your particular setup.

Even if you revert back to the old BIOS to fix the booting into BIOS problem, you're still left with the sleeping problem which suggests the PC cannot or is unable to suspend to RAM (since this is effectively what is involved in sleeping) and put the CPU in a low power state. While it could be a faulty RAM module or CPU, you'd be more likely to notice these with crashing and instability.

To send it back you'd have to raise an RMA/return claim with ASUS UK. Your board would be sent back for testing and once verified faulty it would be replaced with a new board. This may take a while, I can probably expedite the case so that a replacement is issued as soon as your board is received since I have the background info on the case (and know it's an intermittent problem). If you want to pursue this please let me know and I'll speak with the appropriate person.

Ryan

5. AllanRoy

Hello Ryan,

Just to update you on where I am with the ASUS Maximus Vlll Hero. About 2 weeks ago I updated the BIOS again, this time from 1402 to 1601. Since the upgrade I pleased to say that I haven't yet experienced the problem of it booting into BIOS instead of the OS. As you know, whilst I was running with version 1402, the system, when booting up, would consistently boot into the BIOS rather then Windows. Now under 1602, that problem seems to have disappeared.

I've still got the "not sleeping" issue, but I'm hoping that if I pursue a solution for the "DistributedCOM error ID 10016", I might be able to cure this too - I just need to find some time to explore this further.

Allan.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Event ID: 10016

The machine-default permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID {"Long CLSID String"} and APPID
    {"Long APP ID String"} to the user NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID (S-1-5-19) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

1. Open Regedit
    2. Go to HKEY_Classes_Root\CLSID\{"whatever "CLSID" is above"}
    3. Right click on it then select permissions
    4. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group. Also click the box that will appear below the owner line. ("Replace owner ...")
    5. Apply full control

6. Go to HKEY_LocalMachine\Software\Classes\AppID\{whatever "APP ID" is above}
    7. Right click on it then select permission
    8. Click Advance and change the owner to Administrators group
    9. Click the box that will appear below the owner line
    10. Click Apply and grant full control to the Administrators group

11. Go to Administrative tools
    12. Open component services
    13. Click Computer, click my computer, then click DCOM
    14. Look for the corresponding service that appears on the error viewer (check ID's match)
    15. Right click on it then click properties
    16. Click security tab then click Add User. Add Local Service then apply
    17. Tick the Activate local box

7. sahartech

sahartech What's a Dremel?

Just to update you on where I am with the ASUS Maximus Vlll Hero. About 2 weeks ago I updated the BIOS again, this time from 1402 to 1601. Since the upgrade I pleased to say that I haven't yet experienced the problem of it booting into BIOS instead of the OS. As you know, whilst I was running with version 1402, the system, when booting up, would consistently boot into the BIOS rather then Windows. Now under 1602, that problem seems to have disappeared.
    [​IMG]

8. AllanRoy

Hello Aramil,

Many thanks for that - explains a few things for me, very helpful indeed.

However, the "Booting in BIOS" saga continues!! After believing the problem fixed following an update to BIOS 1602, it was - for a few weeks. I recently had to swap out a faulty optical drive and after fitting the new one, guess what, the system began booting back into BIOS again, and is now doing so consistently, at all times, whenever or however it is rebooted.

I have to say I am getting fed-up with this. I am reluctant to take out the MB and send it back for replacement, because my system will be down for at least 10 days, probably more, and I have no other system to use. Also, I understand there's still a chance ASUS may say the MB isn't faulty and simply send it back as is.

In August I have a few days off, and I'm going to reformat the HD and re-install Windows 10 from scratch, and hopefully this will work. But if it doesn't, will I be still able to send this MB back for a replacement, please, Ryan?

Allan.

9. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Hi Allan,

Ryan is no longer working at ASUS, so I will be taking over. If you need it replaced, contact your retailer and arrange a replacement. Where did you purchase it from? It's always worth trying a replacement board to be on the safe side.
    Regards. Will

10. AllanRoy

Hi Will,

The MB was bought from Scan. I appreciate you're trying to be helpful, but trying out another board is simply impractical, as I just don't have access to another Maximus Vlll Hero.

Also, the primary reason I've been so reluctant to send it back thus far, is because it's going to be incredibly inconvenient (to say the very least) for me to be without the computer for the 10 days (or longer) that's it going to take to get a replacement - and that's if they do send a replacement, because I just don't know whether this is a MB problem or not. Ryan seemed to think it was. But if I go through all the hassel and serious inconvenience of taking out the MB, sending it away and coping without my computer (which I need for my work, it's not just a games machine) for 10 days or so, only to have them send it right back saying it's fine - I'll be just about ready to... well you can probably fill in the blank yourself. Do you see my point here?

Allan.

Last edited: 28 Jul 2016
  11. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Hi Allan,

I completely understand. Unfortunately that is the case with returns, sounds like a product fault, if explain to Scan in depth I am sure the replacement would be sorted without fail. Unfortunately there is nothing else we can do and it is the same with replacements on any brand. I had a similar issue when I had to return my 970 a year ago.

Apologies I couldn't help any further.
    Regards.