1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Corsair Case PM interview - Ask your questions here!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dogbert666, 18 Feb 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Hi everyone,

Following discussion with AlphaAngel and other users after the publication of our Manta review (see here for the thread), we are now in the process of setting up an interview with the current Case Product Manager at Corsair to take place probably within the next two weeks.

As was suggested, we want this to be a community-driven interview, and if it goes well we will certainly look at doing more such features! As such, please post here with any questions you'd like us to ask - all will be considered.

There is no specific theme beyond cases, so be as creative as you like. However, the general theme that arose in the Manta discussion was a frustration with a perceived laziness in current case designs, especially in the small form factor market, and about how small production run (and inevitably expensive/difficult to get) cases like the NCase M1 have stepped in to fill a gap in the market as a result - so that may be a good starting point.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've been asked to send a link to this thread to Corsair, so there is likely to be an element of preparation on Corsair's part. We're not looking to "catch them out" or anything, and it will also help avoid answers becoming "I'll have to look into that for you." We want this to be a useful discussion for all parties, and in the published interview we'll be linking to a survey where you can feedback your own thoughts directly to Corsair too.

Still, if you *really* want to keep your question hidden, well, you'll have to figure out how to get it to me another way :)

Thanks - and looking forward to your questions! :D

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Any plans to start releasing more ITX cases with SFX PSU support only? Especially since you have your own set of SFX PSUs out now (when is the 600W one due by the way?)

3. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Will they start producing small cases with a slotloading DVD for those of us who still need a DVD burner ? It wont exactly ruin any aesthetics like a regular 5.25 drive.

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I echo Parge in terms of SFX PSU usage - or even the route EVGA went with the Hadron and having a built in high quality unit.

Would Corsair consider making a case that integrates everything they do in to one thing? Namely a AIO loop for the CPU, separate cooling 'bays' or channels, SFX PSU and so forth packaged in the smallest footprint whilst taking top end GPUs? Something like the ROG G20?

Ever thought about dropping HD slots entirely and only having SSD mounts?

5. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

What the hell was you thinking with the god awful gaming branding and logo? good to see you came to your senses fast enough with only one wave of products been unlucky enough to have it.

Sorry this isnt case specific

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

They have, it's the Bulldog.
    (http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/landing/bulldog)

Though that's a pretty hefty case IMO as it's designed for Hybrid AIO cooled GPUs and it still doesn't have any space for a slim ODD or a 3.5" drive (from what I can make out..)

Personally i'd love for Corsair to make a small case with SFX psu support, full-sized GPU support and under/behind mobo clearance for either cable management or a slim ODD for those that want it. (Rear loading, sorta like the Enthoo Evolve for a clean look!)

I feel it's time one of the big manufacturers actually makes a PROPER ITX small-form factor case instead of driving people to make their own for extortionate costs.. :thumb:

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Yeah, the Bulldog is a step in the right direction, though it's a rather small step (or; the step is not small enough!). Compared to it's preview version, the final Bulldog become somewhat less ugly, and had a tiny reduction in the pointless plastic side protrusions. Though these are still present, and do nothing functionally other than increase the size of the case by sticking out and creating void spaces that cannot contain anything (due to the inner metal chassis).
    Still, the Bulldog is 21L. Not bad compared to the normal bloated ITX cases, but at more than double the size of the Node202, you don't actually gain that much usable internal space (you get a 3.5" bay, and can use a GPU with a 120mm AIO cooler) with most of that volume being taken up by the disappointing H5SF, an Asetek 1u server cooler with the stacked 40mm fans replaced by a poor quality radial fan.

Kudos is due for the SFX PSUs though, particularly having Jonnyguru on-board (though they are manufactured by Great Wall, any OEM can make a good PSU when hounded not to cheap out on parts and design).

Last edited: 19 Feb 2016
  8. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Why don't you guys release different colour variants of the Corsair 450/750D obsidian cases such as white or gun metal grey?

Phanteks latest cases look fantastic in these colours and I'm sure Corsair is missing a sales trick by not doing the same.

I for one would buy another 450D in gun metal grey without hesitation as it still has the best airflow in its class.

9. Dogbert666

Thanks everyone - keep them coming!

Michael is also PM for Corsair's range of liquid cooling and fans so any questions related to those are also more than welcome.

Lastly, he is also in the process of gathering feedback for current case requirements so even if you don't have a question but rather a suggestion or some feedback, this thread will be a good place to get it seen :)

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Are you going to improve the quality of your products so that they feel as nice as they look?

Ex Corsair 250D owner, here. Front panel that was plastic with a 1mm slither of alu over it and a case that flexed like a torsion bar once the top and sides were removed. Very thin steel. Something I would expect of a £15 case.

And two Raptor mice that fell apart within two weeks (I'm not even joking, scroll wheel died on one, cables broke off at the plug on the other)

Oh yeah, and 13 AF fans that three of which started to make farting sounds within six months as they sounded like they had spun a bearing. That were also flimsy and light and horrid to handle.

11. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Ok, so with the fans.. Why are the LED variants so much worse quality than the standard versions? If we're wanting LED versions of that "Corsair" look, we have to drill into them and mount our own LEDs.. Not the best situation!

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yupper, I had that bloody issue too. God only knows what they are held in with, but I actually snapped the corner off of the fan (sheared off) pushing with a screw driver.

13. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Nice work on getting the interview Dogbert. Hopefully something good can come of it. I am more than happy for them to prepare answers, this isn't politics, no point in gotcha questions really is there. Any move towards greater interaction with the user base is to be welcomed. For our part lets make it worth their while so the paths of communication remain open.

First I think some kind of set format would make questions easier to find as the thread starts getting bigger. To that end I will try to lay out this post in such a way.

1. Case: 250D - What happen when designing the 250D and the new H100i GTX so that they are not compatible - bit of an in house screw up?

2. Where are the MITX size cases for MITX motherboards rather than MATX/ATX size case for MITX motherboards.

3. With the move to SSDs why do all cases have to have so many internal drive bays. I understand that this widens the market but it also slims it too. Horses for courses if you will. How many gamers have 6 HDDs and 4 SSDs really.

4. Any chance of corsair moving into the SFX PSU market or is this more an issue for Seasonic first (due to being rebrands)

5. What about teaming up more with GFX card manufacturers as done on the MSI seahawk. Maybe getting a high end card on a small PCB, designed from the start to be watercooled.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2016
  14. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Corsair have two SFX units coming soon (they were delayed due to lead times on certain brands of capacitor): a 450W and a 600W.

15. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

This. I mean, GPU manufacturers have had cards with pre-fitted GPU blocks.. So why not a full loop made for it?

16. Dogbert666

Awesome stuff - thanks again everyone! One final push on this as I will be putting together the questions tomorrow/Thursday for the interview Thursday evening :)

17. penryn 2 hertz

penryn 2 hertz I'm not a science fiction writer...

When are they going to add the extra motherboard standoff they miss when installing an atx Gigabyte motherboard in there cases?

18. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Specifically on the mini-ITX theme here. Can they design an ITX case that makes use of SFX PSUs and puts the space to good use elsewhere or visibility reduced the case's size as a result.

Can they design an ITX case that makes use of small PCB GPUs (Nano, 960, 970 and to some extent 980). No one needs 12in/30CM cards any more. 260mm max, ideally smaller as standard, perhaps trading off more clearance for better water cooling support.

Can they design an ITX case that doesn't just cater for your own AIO radiators? This hampered things in both the 380T and 250D and made them bigger than they might otherwise have been - same with the Manta too.

Would be good to move away from the Cube case too as they do tend to have huge footprints but equally see a design that's not just a small ATX tower like the Phanteks Evolv ITX, Manta and Fractal's new ITX case.

Would be good to ditch 3.5in mounts or at the very least allow them to be removed in favour of better water cooling support, something like that. I think a degree of modularity or 'replace this with that' is needed. You have a finite amount of space and you can't please everyone, at least not without making a huge case.

19. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I'd agree with that pretty strongly. I've got an Elite 110 that's modded to fit a 5" bay in front of the mobo (still doesn't obstruct half the 140mm fan) and still fits 2 HDD & 1 SSD.. With no modifying the externals of the case (apart from adding feet and a carry handle).

There's so much you can do in a small-sized case, yet with many of these ITX cases you can't seem to do that much in them as standard even though they're pretty big!

20. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Another question:

Any chance of Dominator RAM modules with RGB lighting?