1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Computer won't start CPU fan sky high help needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Carper, 28 Feb 2016.

1. Carper

Carper Guru

So basically my computer won't start anymore and after about 5 secs of it being turned on my Titan ferir fan kicks up and starting up really fast. So my guess is the thermal paste needs replacing. I was wondering if it's worth getting a different cpu fan as the Titan ferir is huge and I'm thinking of adding some more ram and the Titan goes over one of the sockets. I have overclocked the cpu but considering going back to stock now. Any help would be great

2. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

What are the specs of the build? Are there any post beeps. Have you tried running the PC with one stick of ram and no GPU?

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Be prepared the MSi may have gone to a better place.

Try a bios reset and minimal ram first as above.

4. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Echoing the other comments here; Sounds like the board or processor is toast/not being recognised. Tear the system down to bare basics, pull the cooler, reseat the CPU and try again, if it's still doing nothing; Likely a new board. (I'm assuming the board would throw errors if the CPU was faulty.)

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

any beep code?

6. Carper

Carper Guru

I pulled the Heatshink fan off as I thought it was the thermal paste. So I'm now awaiting my new paste to arrive. £4.50 delivery from scan crazy price. I'll re paste and come back to inform if it worked or not

7. Carper

Carper Guru

Ok so update I reinstalled the heatsink and the problem remains I was getting 25 degrees in the bios. I then ran single channel ram and the problem remained I have now disconnected the gpu and the fan isn't now firing up so it looks like the gpu has had it? I haven't got another gpu to use so now I have a computer without a picture

8. wst

wst Minimodder

If you can see what's going on in the BIOS with the GPU in, you can change the display device to integrated graphics, then turn off the computer, remove the GPU, and connect the monitor to the integrated output. Then tolerate the state of integrated graphics until the replacement arrives!

9. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

If it's the signature rig, there won't be any integrated graphics with an i5 750, only the dual core i5 6xx CPUs had IGP sadly.

10. Carper

Carper Guru

Yeah sadly no integrated graphics for my build I'm fairly sure it's the gpu that's given up?

11. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Buy the most bog standard second hand GPU to make sure it is the GPU at fault, then get a 'proper' one.
    I am sure someone on here could help in this regard?

12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

If you fancy giving supermurchios suggestion a go I've got a HD4350 with no bracket you could have for £10inc?

13. Carper

Carper Guru

Ok so I got a new graphics card today and the problem still exists I'm stuck as to what I can do next :(

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

A duff gpu wouldn't make the CPU fan spin up. Nor would thermal paste help.

Mr bungle nailed it in the third post but was entirely ignored for some reason?

15. Carper

Carper Guru

I cleared the cmos and tried the ram in singles and different slots still didn't fix the problem. I just don't understand why when the gpu isn't slotted in the fan is fine but when the gpu is in the fan goes up. Maybe the slots on the board are toast weird how I get picture though