1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [In Win 901] Celestial

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by B NEGATIVE, 31 Dec 2015.

1. Cown

Cown Minimodder

You sir, are brilliant, that mobo mount is awesome!

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I like the EL sheet idea. Keep pushing the envelope until you have to marry it.

3. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

Nice! I've been wanting to see EL sheet used in something, seems like it would have a lot of cool uses since it's bright but doesn't bleed light everywhere like an LED. Have you found a transformer yet? I'm curious because the 12v transformer I put in Scout screams like a banshee and I'd love find something quieter or I'm gonna have to put a switch on it.

4. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Thanks!

Recessed Mobo trays have been done before tho.

I am probably going to go with these guys....

http://elwirecraft.co.uk/el-product...panel-15cm-x-40cm-glow-strip-portable-driver/

Use the portable unit and run it off the PSU 12v

At least thats what I have in my head anyway,not tried it yet.

What drew me to it is the ability to cram it in under panels and not cause more bulk to it plus the even light they produce. I have seen EL wire before and may use it somewhere,Alain's Tristeller used the wire really well,its a shame it cant carry real power or signal or I would be making PSU harnesses with it!

Gnome,its the noise a cap squeal? That could be fixed easily enough if you knew what cap it was.

5. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

I've hardwired the battery packs to a PSU and it works well.

I'm not sure what the deal is, from what I gather, they all squeal, just different amounts. The battery powered packs I had did(even hardwired to a PSU) but not nearly as bad as this 12v hardwired one I'm using now. I'm thinking of switching it to the 5v lead and seeing if that quiets it down a bit. Maybe wrap it up in some foam or something to deaden the sound.

I loved it when Alain used it. When I saw a pic of the running EL and I knew it was something cool, just hard to find the place for it sometimes since it doesn't light anything like LED's and like you said, can't carry anything. That backlight idea is the perfect use for it. I had thought about using it behind an acrylic logo, but behind the res, beautiful. I didn't know they made sheets that big, now I've got some ideas!

6. B NEGATIVE

Yeah,its really disappointing that it cant carry current,you would of thought they could of made it around a 'proper' wire.

When mine arrives,I will give it a solid going over,see if I cant 'help' it along if its noisy.....

I will also use it for backlighting the res shrouds,mimicking the door sills on the Rolls.

[​IMG]

Although mine will read 'Botched together in a shed in Saaaaarf london'

7. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

HHhhhnnnnngggggggg

:naughty:

8. B NEGATIVE

You ain't got time for that Tim,I need you to make those fittings mate! :thumb:

9. Cheapskate

Oh, God please don't be lying. :lol:
    I heard they use poodle pelts for the carpeting. :(

10. B NEGATIVE

I really should put that in buuuuuuut......I have to stay corporate on this,I doubt RR would be over the moon with it and its not classy in the traditional sense.

However.....

I'm not known for my reverence....

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Is this going to RR for any time when it's done? I'm only up the road from their Chi place...

12. B NEGATIVE

[​IMG]

Today was all about getting the tray and vanity panels mounted.

[​IMG]

We start with how im going to anchor the acrylic,normally i would tap the acrylic but this presents a very real problem of potential breakage so I looked to another way.
    I used these instead.

[​IMG]

Drill a 3.5mm hole and I used my trusty soldering iron to heatpress the inserts into place,now I have a breakproof thread that wont wear out!

Im drilling thru the case to mount the tray,I gave the holes a nice deep countersink to aid the filler by giving it some room to grab when it comes time to backfill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I offered up the tray to the fresh holes and just marked the hole centers on the acrylic for drilling

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6mm deep as required by the inserts.

Success!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to drill and countersink the panels,again with a deeper than usual countersink to allow for paint ,if its done to size now then the screws will certainly be proud come the refit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I did the other side...

[​IMG]

Remount the panel and it looks pretty good I think.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is cut and fit the midpanel and look at getting the PSU,sort the loom and get that Predator rad in. Then I can work towards doing the rad covers.

Drive safe!​

13. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Maybe a really stupid question, but will you polish the acrylic piece?

14. B NEGATIVE

Probably not Tim,I'm going to frost a lot of the acrylic instead but have the res front clear.

Frosting gives better diffusion to the light.

15. Phame

Phame COOOOFFFFEEEEE

Looking epic B :thumb:

16. B NEGATIVE

Thanks!

Cutting the midpanel today,I took the day off because Magoo hurt his leg over the weekend,so Im going totally exploit it. :thumb:

17. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I trust his lordship shall be back in prime condition in no time?

I reckon you're onto a real winner here man if you can nail that theme. Rolls Royce is the perfect pairing for this line of cases, they're just so luxurious. I'm constantly amazed by how InWin managed to turn themselves around, goes to show how powerful a good design ethos can be. Wonder if Antec will make a similar recovery one day?

18. B NEGATIVE

Tripod is okay...ish,he tweaked his toes on his back leg so he painkillered up and being fussed over...
    He is hopping like a boss!

In Win have really nailed their market and consistently impress,really looking forward to Taiwan too!

Antec.....I don't think they have anything left in the tank to make the turn around Maki....

19. Cheapskate

Fearless leader stamped his foot to intimidate the masses too hard?

20. B NEGATIVE

Fearless leader was running with big dogs....and wasnt looking where he was going. I think he tripped over a rabbit hole but is too embarrassed to say so...