1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mass Effect: Andromeda pushed to early 2017

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Mar 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

By the time I finally get around to playing MF3, this might be available.

No idea what's taking me so long - I loved the first two.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The ending? I know the fuss made over 3's ending put some people off playing it...

4. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Well, even putting the story aside it's a pretty rubbish ending, certainly a huge let down compared the ME2's suicide mission.

5. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Don't care if they delay it or not, just as long as it lives up to the Mass Effect series reputation - well, apart from the ending.

6. gosh

gosh Minimodder

i'm still playing me3's multiplayer as there isn't really anything similar on pc still (suppose the division and gears of war will be close) - i'd really just be happy with an expanded f2p version of that to tide me over.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Agreed, 3s ending was a letdown [though i kinda enjoyed it at the time]. But a few of my friends, who loved #2 have said they were wary of playing #3 knowing they'd have to endure the disappointing ending.

My main gripe with the ending was
    whilst you choices in earlier games affected how certain events played out, the ending is pretty much the same whatever you do... kinda made me question why i'd gone through some of the effort with side missions as in the end it didn't seem to matter

8. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I'm in exactly the same situation. LOVED the first two and have played them a fair few times, just never gotten around to the 3rd.

I think it's more down to the Origin distribution rather than Steam than anything that I've head regarding the story.

9. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I think that would always have been the case, there were too many branches for them to address that.

I had a big problem with the game play, you run in circles round a tank and that's it, from there in the ending is barely interactive. They should have structured it like the suicide mission, except taking it to even greater extremes of either having the battle won seemingly at a canter and Shepard rolling back out of the battle for high five and medals, or facing a literally unwinnable ending, depending on your level of preparedness.

It's pretty obvious that whatever they were planning EA killed it off when they set the development time to two thirds of ME2 and half of ME1. We'll see how Andromeda plays out.

10. Syphadeus

Syphadeus What's a Dremel?

I think it was more down to a change in lead story writers. They got shot of Drew Karpyshyn and bought in Mac Walters.

Personally I am a huge Mass Effect fan and read a number of the spin off books including the one they released months before the first game came out. You can easily detect a huge shift in tone moving to Walters material. That being that it is was nowhere near as dark. I always got an inkling that there was more going on in the story than wasn't made known to us but at the same time was not "open to interpretation / imagination" like some stories and that there was going to be a reveal at some stage or another.

Whilst I liked the story told - until it ended - I don't think Walters did as good a job as the man he replaced.

As for Andromeda the delay is disappointing but I am still hopeful. ME is a very profitable IP for EA and they could easily have milked a la Assassins Creed or similar. The fact that it will have been 4 years since the last title was released at least lends credence to them putting time and effort into continuing the franchise rather than abusing it, which they could quite easily do.