1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Raspberry and Banana Pie (Ice Cream Sold Separately)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Iain Stott, 13 Feb 2015.

1. Iain Stott

Iain Stott What's a Dremel?

So today came the time to swap everything over and tidy up the corner the living room up a bit. Mrs started giving me ear ache over the mess, which is unlike her completely so I knew it was bugging her.

Unfortunately I didn't take a before shot only middle of the progress and end. I'm sure you'll of caught glimpses of the mess in previous pictures. Plus a few little final pieces on there but there will be opportunity to take some more..

[​IMG]

Mess of cable spaghetti behind.....
    [​IMG]

So here it is in place. Got a couple of other things round the house to do at the moment. So until I've made the next batch of parts and I've finished relaying my lawn and had the doors made at least, she'll rest here for a couple of weeks.

[​IMG]

2. Iain Stott

Ok, so after nearly a year break with this project, its time to pick up and carry on.

[​IMG]

Not much has changed with this project in the last 12 months. Theres an addition of a 360, 16 port switch, the TiVo box has been removed, and swapped out the full pc hardware for more recent.

But now it is time for phase 2. After living with it like this for the past year there isn't a lot I want to change with it. With the addition of the 360, I have not turned my gaming rig on since Octoberish . So what is going to (hopefully) happen.....
    My alienware is going to get stripped down and motherboard and cpu are going in for my KVM host. I say hopefully, well it will either way, but I'm just anxious as to whether i will get the watercooling installed, there isnt a very long run on the tubing, I dont want to take control boards out of the case as im wanting to sell that, so I have no plan of action with that.

Doors are going to get made and hung because I want to hide all the rewiring I will be doing...... Yep Im going to strip it down to bare wood, paint it, the re-wire it all. I now have some nice white cat5 cable, and this will be its last major hardware change for hopefully a number of years, so lets button it up and call it done....

So today im gonna try and take this apart without losing or breaking too much......

[​IMG]

3. Iain Stott

Just wondering if someone had any help they fancied throwing my way. Have got the water cooling loop and motherboard out of the pc, and am just working on mounting it up.
    The water cooling loop, obviously coming out of a Dell, its proprietary, the pump plugs into a control board with a non-standard connector, while I have found the correct pin out info for this system, I'm unsure as to where i can plug the pump in.
    The fan for the radiator has a standard 4 pin and I take it the plugs onto cpu fan header, then pump onto one of the other headers, ooorr vice versa.....

And also, does anyone know how serviceable these no maintenance loops are?? Only asking because while doing some research into the pin out, Ive seen a few threads about the ones used on some Alienware's having dodgy coolant that clogs.
    I was thinking while it was apart just clean the loop and get some decent coolant. Just never played with watercooling before.

Cheers Iain