1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress CaseLabs S3 MATX Mod FINISHED! 2016.03.13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by rampageblack, 4 Sep 2015.

1. rampageblack

rampageblack What's a Dremel?

Hi guys!
    I started a new mod into a CaseLabs S3 . I've never seen somebody who did this, so let me show you my worklog about the modification and custom painting.

My expectations:

-space for MATX mobo
    -space for custom watercooling or decent air cooling
    -big window on the side
    -custom wiring
    -custom painting

Hardware:

-Core i7 5960x or Xeon E5 2683v3
    -Gigabyte x99M Gaming 5
    -32gb 2400mhz Crucial Ballistix Sport
    -Evga Gtx 750
    -EVGA G2 1600W
    -Crucial M500 240gb
    -CaseLabs S3

First, I recieved the case. I've got a good price on a used S3 case which is in good condition, so I picked it up. Here it is, like a brand new! :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next step was measuring everything and some brainstorming. I came up with an idea, to make 2 chamber on this case, one mobo side and psu side. I decided to go with sfx psu, because in this case, I can use all ventilation mounts which is already in the case. I will cut out the back panel of the case and replace it with a new. My case have ventilated doors so I designed on one side to take the psu there, and it can suck air from the outside. On the other panel I planned a big cutout to intsall window. The next quiestion was, how I gonna install the mobo. I've got a mountain mods mobo tray and i/o panel, so I'm gonna install them. Here it is the mobot tray and i/o.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thats it for now. Im already in the making of the back and side panel, currently im waiting for the laser cutter, to make the backplate. More updates soon!:thumb:

Last edited: 13 Mar 2016
  2. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

none of your images are visible to me at least!

3. rampageblack

Edited!

4. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

Still no images visible

5. rampageblack

Hey Guys!

My S3 mod is FINISHED! You can see how the new back came up. Its the same size as the original, just with matx support. If I want I can use both dual radiator place. For mobo tray and I/O I used mountain mods parts. I installed sound dempening materials to the side panels, because i want this pc completly silent. I changed the fan in the EVGA Supernove 1600w to a noiseblocker, so its also completly silent. To control the fans I use a Aquaero 5 XT. I know its overkill but i already had it from my old watercooled build. Last update will be some powdercoating, but it will wait till summer. I also did an another build now called IN WIN FLOWER i will post that build soon! I've got a desk build coming up soon, i want to join the desk pc market with a new design and affordable desk case! So here are the finished pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. storm-83

storm-83 Minimodder

they really should offer a back panel and mobo tray like this from their shop
    the amount of wasted space in the case is rediculous... :eyebrow:

nice plate work, both for the mobo tray and the back panel :thumb:

1600 watts for a 750 should be enough :lol:

7. rampageblack

Thanks. I use this 1600w because i got it really cheap as b-stock :)

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah they should. I was looking at this case before and thinking about ordering it but I just ended up annoyed that it seemed so big yet couldn't take MATX. They want you on the next one up which is far more expensive and again, huge for the format.

-------------------------

Nice work there on the conversion.

9. rampageblack

Yes, they're so big, but the build quality and the case is amazing. Originally I wanted an EATX conversion, but in that case the normal atx psu wouldnt fit, and would have used an sfx psu. If youre interested in a back panel like this, contact me via private msg. We can also powdercoat it.