1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Z170N-Wifi (mini-ITX) reboot loop on first boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Shielder, 2 Mar 2016.

1. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Hi all,

I'm doing an ITX build at the moment, and I have a problem with the system.

Specs are:
    Mobo: Gigabyte Z170N-WiFi
    i7-6700K
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 RAM (2 sticks)
    Corsair H100i GT cooler
    128GB Samsung Evo boot drive
    512GB Samsung Evo data drive
    ITX case (yes, everything fits, just)

The system is in the case, and all drives are connected (note to self, check the orientation of the SATA cable connectors on the mobo for space restrictions :wallbash: )

Anyway, I haven't got an OS ready for install yet (it'll be running Linux and doing serious Monte Carlo number crunching), but I can't get the system to power on.

I press the power button and all I get are the radiator fans spinning and some (very quiet) pump noise for about 5 seconds, then it turns off and the power light goes out. There is no output to the monitor and I haven't got a speaker to connect to the mobo for any beep codes.

Has anyone got any idea what could be wrong with the system? I've done a little research, and people are either saying it is the mobo that's dead, or the processor is doa.

Any ideas?

Thanks guys.

Andy

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

If the processor was dead, it wouldn't stay on that long. A dead CPU usually results in an instant shut down.

Remove both sticks of RAM and test one by one, in both slots. It won't take long, but give it a try anyway.

Failing that, there's no LED debugger on that board ... is there?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2016
  3. Shielder

Shielder Live long & prosper!

Nope, no LED debugger, but it was the RAM. I'd not pressed it down hard enough. I only noticed this because the catches didn't look right, so I pressed even harder (tough little motherboard this) and when I pressed the power switch, it came on and stayed on.

Now, where's that Fedora USB stick...

4. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Glad to hear you got to the end of it. DDR4 is a little strange in the way that it is not flat by the pins, but never be afraid to put a bit of force on to the sticks, it needs it. :)